Hamilton Bulldogs & Wheeling Nailers 2014-2015 Part 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Eller has been the better offensive player at every level by a huge margin. This non-sense way of thinking needs to stop. There's no part of DLR's game that is currently better than Eller's, with only his defensive game having the potential to pass Eller. DLR is most likely going to play wing on Eller's line, not replace him at center.

Besides the obvious lack of experience that JDLR has being a 19 yr. old prospect, great as he will be in the future IMHO. Eller is 25yrs. old and has learned his role at center as good as any his age, he brings his game every night with great effort. Not unnoticed by GM's throughout the NHL to be sure, as Tomas Plekanec did for his entire career being a great two/way centerman requires a tough mentality game in game after game always the "Warrior". Players like these are very hard to find let alone replace, they are the Playoff types that win due to their work ethic. Perfected by playing their full out best every shift of every game, players can't just turn it on whenever they choose and expect to be the best at what they do, when others with the same talents are trying their best every shift, they become better and quicker in proper decision making. Thus they become vital to winning when the "Chips are on the Table" so too speak, in the Playoffs.:nod: Thereby earning the name "Money" players not ":Fair Weather" players!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Lefebvre really developing Condon well.

looks like he learned some lessons from last year, glad to see it as Condon has been playing great from what I hear.

I was just checking some stats and Condon, who's a rookie in the AHL, is tied for 10th in GAA and he's 2nd in Save %. Seeing how he was amazing in the ECHL last year, I think he's really turning out to be an great FA signing.

agreed, especially since Condon wasn't even a starter until his Senior year. Going into his Senior year he had only appeared in 29 games in his NCAA career. Timmins or whoever was behind the signing must have seen something they really liked as Princeton was the worst team in the ECAC in his Senior year.

I take it playing in the WJC really helped boost DLR's confidence. Hasn't he been playing much better since coming back?

After the WJC's the coaching staff finally gave him better linemates which surely helped.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The Habs farm team's haven't had this many players capable of playing in the NHL for over 30 yrs., absolutely amazing when considering the competition for prospects. With 29 NHL teams and their AHL affiliates all pouring over every player available, then the competing teams overseas from the KHL, SHL, FHL, Czechs, Slovaks, Swiss etc. Habs braintrust has to be at the very forefront of management teams in Hockey worldwide, the Jiri Sekac signing wasn't a fluke, many teams were in the bidding and Bergevin & the Habs really showed their vast knowledge and acuity for assessing talent in landing Sekac. Imagine where the Habs would be with say 4 or 5 Top Five picks in five consecutive seasons, the competition would be left staggering in their wake.:handclap::handclap::handclap: One has to consider that not only having a Top Five pick in the 1st round but every round, with Timmins & Crew picking "The Living Daylights" out of the prospect field for five yrs. running, just Wow!

Dannyhab

Feb 5, 2010
The Habs farm team's haven't had this many players capable of playing in the NHL for over 30 yrs., absolutely amazing when considering the competition for prospects. With 29 NHL teams and their AHL affiliates all pouring over every player available, then the competing teams overseas from the KHL, SHL, FHL, Czechs, Slovaks, Swiss etc. Habs braintrust has to be at the very forefront of management teams in Hockey worldwide, the Jiri Sekac signing wasn't a fluke, many teams were in the bidding and Bergevin & the Habs really showed their vast knowledge and acuity for assessing talent in landing Sekac. Imagine where the Habs would be with say 4 or 5 Top Five picks in five consecutive seasons, the competition would be left staggering in their wake.:handclap::handclap::handclap: One has to consider that not only having a Top Five pick in the 1st round but every round, with Timmins & Crew picking "The Living Daylights" out of the prospect field for five yrs. running, just Wow!

I agree we've done well but there are many busts. The 2013 draft was amazing for us. The others are good. 08-09 are particularlly bad.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00006929.html

2014 Entry 26 1 Nikita Scherbak R Saskatoon Blades
2014 Entry 73 3 Brett Lernout D Swift Current Broncos [WHL]
2014 Entry 125 5 Nikolas Koberstein D Olds Grizzlys [AJHL]
2014 Entry 147 5 Daniel Audette C Sherbrooke Phoenix [QMJHL]
2014 Entry 177 6 Hayden Hawkey G Omaha Lancers [USHL]
2014 Entry 207 7 Jake Evans F St. Michael's Buzzers [OJHL]

2013 Entry 25 1 Michael McCarron R U.S. National Development Team [USHL]
2013 Entry 34 2 Jacob De La Rose C Leksands IF [Swe-1]
2013 Entry 36 2 Zachary Fucale G Halifax Mooseheads [QMJHL]
2013 Entry 55 2 Artturi Lehkonen L KalPa Kuopio [SM-liiga]
2013 Entry 71 3 Connor Crisp C Erie Otters [OHL]
2013 Entry 86 3 Sven Andrighetto R Rouyn-Noranda Huskies [QMJHL] 12 2 1 3 0
2013 Entry 116 4 Martin Reway L Gatineau Olympiques [QMJHL]
2013 Entry 176 6 Jeremy Gregoire C Baie-Comeau Drakkar [QMJHL]

2012 Entry 3 1 Alex Galchenyuk C Sarnia Sting [OHL] 162 37 55 92 65
2012 Entry 33 2 Sebastian Collberg R Vastra Frolunda HC [SEL]
2012 Entry 51 2 Dalton Thrower D Saskatoon Blades [WHL]
2012 Entry 64 3 Tim Bozon L Kamloops Blazers [WHL]
2012 Entry 94 4 Brady Vail C Windsor Spitfires [OHL]
2012 Entry 122 5 Charles Hudon L Chicoutimi Sagueneens [QMJHL]
2012 Entry 154 6 Erik Nystrom

2011 Entry 17 1 Nathan Beaulieu D Saint John Sea Dogs [QMJHL] 57 0 9 9 27
2011 Entry 97 4 Josiah Didier D Cedar Rapids RoughRiders [USHL]
2011 Entry 108 4 Olivier Archambault L Val d'Or Foreurs [QMJHL]
2011 Entry 113 4 Magnus Nygren D Farjestads BK Karlstad [SEL]
2011 Entry 138 5 Darren Dietz D Saskatoon Blades [WHL]
2011 Entry 168 6 Daniel Pribyl F Sparta Jrs. (Czech Rep)
2011 Entry 198 7 Colin Sullivan

2010 Entry 22 1 Jarred Tinordi D U.S. National Development Team [USHL] 39 0 6 6 49
2010 Entry 113 4 Mark MacMillan F Alberni Valley Bulldogs [BCHL]
2010 Entry 117 4 Morgan Ellis D Cape Breton Screaming Eagles [QMJHL]
2010 Entry 147 5 Brendan Gallagher R Vancouver Giants [WHL] 174 46 50 96 120
2010 Entry 207 7 John Westin

2009 Entry 18 1 Louis Leblanc C Omaha Lancers [USHL] 50 5 5 10 32
2009 Entry 65 3 Joonas Nattinen C Blues Jrs. (Finland) 1 0 0 0 0
2009 Entry 79 3 Mac Bennett D Hotchkiss School (Conn.)
2009 Entry 109 4 Alexander Avtsin R Dynamo Moscow-2 (Russia)
2009 Entry 139 5 Gabriel Dumont C Drummondville Voltigeurs [QMJHL] 16 1 2 3 13
2009 Entry 169 6 Dustin Walsh C Kingston Voyageurs [OJHL]
2009 Entry 199 7 Mike Cichy C Indiana Ice [USHL]
2009 Entry 211 7 Petteri Simila

2008 Entry 56 2 Danny Kristo R US National Under 18 Team
2008 Entry 86 3 Steve Quailer R Sioux City Musketeers [USHL]
2008 Entry 116 4 Jason Missiaen G Peterborough Petes [OHL]
2008 Entry 138 5 Maxim Trunev F Cherepovets Jr. (Russia)
2008 Entry 206 7 Patrick Johnson C U. of Wisconsin [WCHA]

Our 2008 first round pick was traded to the Flames and they chose Greg Nemisz who is basically a bust.

Last edited:

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I agree we've done well but there are many busts. The 2013 draft was amazing for us. The others are good. 08-09 are particularlly bad.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/teams/dr00006929.html
Our 2008 first round pick was traded to the Flames and they chose Greg Nemisz who is basically a bust.

The 2009 Entry Draft was the Centennial year with the draft in Montreal and picking the best Quebec prospect in a weak draft was a bad decision, even though it was a crowd pleaser that day. Again 2008 without a 1st round pick, getting Kristo in the 2nd was a good move, but trading for Christian Thomas seems like an even better move now.:nod:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The 2009 Entry Draft was the Centennial year with the draft in Montreal and picking the best Quebec prospect in a weak draft was a bad decision, even though it was a crowd pleaser that day. Again 2008 without a 1st round pick, getting Kristo in the 2nd was a good move, but trading for Christian Thomas seems like an even better move now.:nod:

I remember at the time of the draft people weren't too happy with my suggestion to draft Simon Despres at 18th, I thought Leblanc's skating reminded me too much of Ribeiro's but he did have impressive numbers and was doing fine with his development in every league from the USHL to the NCAA to the Q and the WJC's. His first year in the AHL went great before his call up. Funny how things just up and went to hell after that. In hindsight I still don't think it was a bad move, as sometimes they just end up peaking.

As for Kristo vs Thomas, I got to admit I hated the trade as I thought Kristo was going to be a top 6 for sure. He dominated the NCAA and was very good at the WJC's and even looked good at the WC's. Haven't watched him in the AHL since the trade but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a look in the NHL with another team at some point. Not a big fan of Thomas, still don't think it was the right move, would rather they gotten a pick instead of Thomas but I guess we'll see how it all works out.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Bergevin's management strength is that he surrounds himself with loyal and dedicated people to him. In return however, he does have some tendencies of nepotism. Drafting Danield Audette, hiring (and keeping of) Lefevbre, trading for old buddies son (Thomas). There are other examples; but then again, I am positive this is a trend that exists around the entire NHL. People like to bring in their buddies.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Bergevin's management strength is that he surrounds himself with loyal and dedicated people to him. In return however, he does have some tendencies of nepotism. Drafting Danield Audette, hiring (and keeping of) Lefevbre, trading for old buddies son (Thomas). There are other examples; but then again, I am positive this is a trend that exists around the entire NHL. People like to bring in their buddies.

It wouldn't be so bad if he made friends with taller people...

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I remember at the time of the draft people weren't too happy with my suggestion to draft Simon Despres at 18th, I thought Leblanc's skating reminded me too much of Ribeiro's but he did have impressive numbers and was doing fine with his development in every league from the USHL to the NCAA to the Q and the WJC's. His first year in the AHL went great before his call up. Funny how things just up and went to hell after that. In hindsight I still don't think it was a bad move, as sometimes they just end up peaking.

As for Kristo vs Thomas, I got to admit I hated the trade as I thought Kristo was going to be a top 6 for sure. He dominated the NCAA and was very good at the WJC's and even looked good at the WC's. Haven't watched him in the AHL since the trade but I wouldn't be surprised if he gets a look in the NHL with another team at some point. Not a big fan of Thomas, still don't think it was the right move, would rather they gotten a pick instead of Thomas but I guess we'll see how it all works out.

Had to go back and look at the Prospects listed back then, but I remembered Leblanc being listed at 28th at some point in the Prospects issue. I was interested in Johanson,Marcus(C, Wash.) & John Moore(RD CBJ's - NYR's) Kreider's speed/size intrigued but he was in HS in the US so not much info back then. The fact Leblanc had centered Taylor Hall & Matt Duchene and impressed scouts more than them the summer before, went a long way in Louis's favor. His workout effort never materialized after leaving college was his downfall, IMHO. Kristo & Leblanc having good yrs. for the Lancers impressed and I thought the same about Kristo being a good prospect. His problems partying was probably a big factor in the trade, Thomas's work ethic being impeccable and being a sniper made that deal a cinch, IMHO. Hopefully Danny gets it together, just chokes me up when Hab prospects don't give it their all, I probably seem like I take it personal, Hab Fanatic and all.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I remember at the time of the draft people weren't too happy with my suggestion to draft Simon Despres at 18th, I thought Leblanc's skating reminded me too much of Ribeiro's but he did have impressive numbers and was doing fine with his development in every league from the USHL to the NCAA to the Q and the WJC's.

I winced at the Leblanc pick, too but had no alternatives in mind. Despres would have been an excellent choice.

With regard to the Kristo / Thomas trade I thought it was almost like trading six eggs for a half dozen eggs. I would have preferred it if Bergevin could have acquired a completely different style of player from these two - a Dale Weise clone for example. But who knows what was available.

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
I think Mike Condon's play makes Fucale redundant and since he holds a bit off value, should be traded in a package. Also, that 2012 Draft looked great on draft day but a lot of unfortunate events(Collberg not developing, Vail not retained, Bozon and Thrower dealing with injuries) made it a lot weaker than it looked at first glance.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I think Mike Condon's play makes Fucale redundant and since he holds a bit off value, should be traded in a package.
Fucale is 5 years off Condon, so they aren't really in direct competition, IMHO. Not yet anyway. If Fucale ever does make it, Condon will be like 28-29 by then. It's a good spacing to have. Condon and Tokarski are more closely packed to eachother. I don't think Fucale is redundant at all, we could afford to part with him, though we'd need to get another junior-aged goalie in the pipeline if we did. I doubt he holds much value anyway, but there is no "should" involved in trading him. It's nice to think we have our goalie situation set up. We can focus on other positions in the entry draft, and we have insurance in place for upcoming expansion drafts. I presume Waite has worked with Condon, and I will be happy to see him working with Fucale too... there is potential there if he can sort out a few things.

DogsFan*

Nevins and Crisp are injured?

Crisp is skating again (no contact).

Nevins probably miss another month at least. (Upper Body)

What to say about tonights game..

Hudon is good, showed a ton of skill and creativity with the puck. Carr was good again, 2 good finishes. Tinordi wasn't great. He scored, yes, but immediately took a penalty after, really gave Iowa momentum, and then got burned on the next goal (though I think he took a high stick on the play). Team was bad in the second, really good in the third. MacDonald didn't have a great game, either. Condon is definitely the starter from here on out.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Carr is outscoring some big time rookies like Shinkaruk,Dano,Gaunce. I know he's older as a college player but it's pretty good.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
tough to lose to the worst team in the AHL but a huge game tonight on the road vs LE as they have 2 games in hand on the Dogs and are only 1 pt back. Dogs fell back to 11th in the conference in win % but at still 5 pts up on the Marlies at 12th with the Marlies having a game in hand.

30 games left in the season for the Dogs.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Iv'e read somewhere that he plays a very similar game to Gallagher, always hustling, always crashing and around the net. Was around PPG at union racking up points on the PP, has a good shot to boot. Not small either at 6'0 190

not like Gallagher at all imo. In the games I saw he never really did much of note so I don't have a good read on him. Had a good NCAA career but we'll see what that translates to.

DogsFan*

Wasn't that a clear hand pass from Hudon off the face off on Tinordi's goal? Weird.

Yes it was. I'm not sure if that's a rule in the AHL though. However it would still be a hand pass. Weird.

Iv'e read somewhere that he plays a very similar game to Gallagher, always hustling, always crashing and around the net. Was around PPG at union racking up points on the PP, has a good shot to boot. Not small either at 6'0 190

I wouldn't say he's similar to Gallagher, only in stature. I don't believe he's 190.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->