Hamilton Bulldogs & Wheeling Nailers 2014-2015 Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Ralphy*

I don't have any problem with what he said as most of it was true anyway.

Was it? Hmmm... Let's actually look at some facts.

"Hamilton is Canada’s 'most criminal city.'"
Nope, it's actually lower than average, and a fair bit lower than Montreal.

"Hamilton’s unemployment rate is 33.5 per cent."
Nope, as the article says, it's 7.1 per cent, lower than Montreal at 8.7 per cent.

"In Hamilton they 'shoot people for $100.'"
Nope, in 2012 there were 6 murders total, while in 2011 there were 5. Montreal had 35 murders total in each of those years.

"The team 'doesn’t have very many fans.'"
This one is the only even remotely fair one, and Hamilton was still just under the average for AHL team attendance last year.

"His car window was smashed out 'by angry fans.'"
Random claim that nobody can disprove just to further his point.

"The Bulldogs’ players were 'more interested in dating than playing hockey.'"
See above.

Next time you try rudely insulting a city, try backing it up with some facts.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON

As a Hamiltonian, born and raised, I take some offence to his comments. In all honesty, there are some shady areas of town but that's not uncommon in any city across our great country.

We do have a bunch of really nice areas within our city that the players would never see unless they are out in the community in different parts of the city.

I suggest Nygren get involved in doing so and he will see this to be true as I know the Bulldogs are active in the community. Don't sit in your hotel room and complain, get out with the team when they do charitable events.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Geez, now you too. I live in the Maritimes and don't even like Ont. but don't you see how distorted and insulting this is. GTFO !

I don't see the problem at all. There is crime in every city, and Hamilton is not what I would call a fun place to visit.

Nope, as the article says, it's 7.1 per cent, lower than Montreal at 8.7 per cent.

Nope, in 2012 there were 6 murders total, while in 2011 there were 5. Montreal had 35 murders total in each of those years.

This one is the only even remotely fair one, and Hamilton was still just under the average for AHL team attendance last year.

See above.

you can't be serious. I bet you wouldn't be too happy if your car window got smashed. He has every right to be pissed and to blame it on the city since that's what people often do when a crime happens to them. Also how do you know what it's like to be on the team, instead of wondering what's going on in this organization that has been putting out a terrible brand of hockey for 2 years but no let's focus on the fact that he said the players heads weren't in the game and you think you know better then him? What a joke.

Also even though you don't like several of those things are facts. The Dogs have had attendance problems for as long as the Habs have been there and in any city I'm sure you can find someone that would shoot someone for less then 100, it's not really offensive at all. some people should just stick with watching hockey and not try to be such drama queens.

As a Hamiltonian, born and raised, I take some offence to his comments. In all honesty, there are some shady areas of town but that's not uncommon in any city across our great country.

We do have a bunch of really nice areas within our city that the players would never see unless they are out in the community in different parts of the city.

I suggest Nygren get involved in doing so and he will see this to be true as I know the Bulldogs are active in the community. Don't sit in your hotel room and complain, get out with the team when they do charitable events.

I think that's a terrible way to look it. Why should Nygren get involved in the city? This is his job, how many people here that don't like what he said, have packed up and moved to a new country for work. For some people it's tough on them, he's a kid who spoke his mind and he has every right to do so imo. Sure some of the things he said were way off base but hopefully it's something he can learn from.

I have been to Hamilton several times and I have no idea how anyone could be upset with what he said as he could have said the same thing about most big cities in the world.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

33% unemployment.
people shooting each other for $100.
my teammates are more interested in girls than hockey.
i was witness to two homicides

yeah most of it was true.... :shakehead

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

See above.

Exactly.... it was ********.

Just like his explanations were ********.

The guy lied about the city to the Swedish press to make himself look better.
Then he lied about it to the Hamilton press and got caught in the lie (its a bad google translation).

He really should apologize for what he said in Sweden, and for the way he left the team. Own it, and quit making excuses.

Of course if he thinks Hamilton is so bad, I wonder what he would have thought if he played junior hockey in Saginaw or Plymouth; or if he played in the AHL in Grand Rapids; or some of those American cities where the Homicide rate is 10-20x what it is in Hamilton.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
33% unemployment.
people shooting each other for $100.
my teammates are more interested in girls than hockey.
i was witness to two homicides

yeah most of it was true.... :shakehead

I never saw the quote on him saying he saw 2 homicides, but how do you know what his teammates are thinking about? And I bet you could find someone to shoot someone for less then 100 dollars in just about any city in the world.

Like many things at HF this just a unnecessary overreaction.

Exactly.... it was ********.

Just like his explanations were ********.

The guy lied about the city to the Swedish press to make himself look better.
Then he lied about it to the Hamilton press and got caught in the lie (its a bad google translation).

He really should apologize for what he said in Sweden, and for the way he left the team. Own it, and quit making excuses.

Of course if he thinks Hamilton is so bad, I wonder what he would have thought if he played junior hockey in Saginaw or Plymouth; or if he played in the AHL in Grand Rapids; or some of those American cities where the Homicide rate is 10-20x what it is in Hamilton.

I say we call for an investigation, someone get the tapes, it will be Kovalev situation all over again but we want the truth!

Also how do you know he hasn't apologized to his teammates?

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I never saw the quote on him saying he saw 2 homicides, but how do you know what his teammates are thinking about? And I bet you could find someone to shoot someone for less then 100 dollars in just about any city in the world.

Like many things at HF this just a unnecessary overreaction.

Really? Come on... You know as well as I do that the way he said it.... it was giving the impression that it is something happening on the regular in Hamilton. Not something that was a rare occurence. Considering that there were 11 total homicides in 2 years, or less than one every two months in the city... he's mis-characterized what its like to live in the city.

I say we call for an investigation, someone get the tapes, it will be Kovalev situation all over again but we want the truth!

Now who is overreacting?

Also how do you know he hasn't apologized to his teammates?

He owes apologies to more than his teammates.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I think that's a terrible way to look it. Why should Nygren get involved in the city? This is his job, how many people here that don't like what he said, have packed up and moved to a new country for work. For some people it's tough on them, he's a kid who spoke his mind and he has every right to do so imo. Sure some of the things he said were way off base but hopefully it's something he can learn from.

I have been to Hamilton several times and I have no idea how anyone could be upset with what he said as he could have said the same thing about most big cities in the world.

All cities have good and bad parts, even where you live, wherever that may be. You don't have to be a 'big' city.

Part of being a professional is doing what is asked of you by the organization. So if they want you to go visit a hospital or a school, you go, they are paying you and you do what they ask of you.

He probably was not asked to do so since he was here for a short time but if he is then he has an obligation to do so.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Where is the Swedish version of the interview? Never seen it.

try this thread, it should have the twitter links,

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1542511&page=7

Really? Come on... You know as well as I do that the way he said it.... it was giving the impression that it is something happening on the regular in Hamilton. Not something that was a rare occurence. Considering that there were 11 total homicides in 2 years, or less than one every two months in the city... he's mis-characterized what its like to live in the city.

Now who is overreacting?

He owes apologies to more than his teammates.

How on earth do you infer that he is giving the impression that something is happening on the regular. I don't even know that the **** that means or what the point is. Have you ever had your car window smashed or maybe broken into? Have you ever worked in another country?

You are overreacting, most of his comments can be said about any big city in the world, it's really no big deal but leave it to HF to make a mountain out of a mole hill. He's a kid that clearly wasn't happy with his situation and he spoke his mind (first mistake) people are being way too hard on him for things that are more or less true or so off base they are just funny.

If you go visit another country and some crime happens to you, do you go on google and look up the countries crime stats? I doubt you or anyone else would, but one thing you would be right to feel is very pissed off. Have you ever been pissed off at something and then said some things you wish you didn't, not because they weren't true but because you know it's going to hurt someones feelings. It happens to lots of people all the time, people should try to relax a little more and not get offended so easily when there is so much wrong in this world.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'm willing to cut the guy some slack in regards to the misquote part of it ;Some of the drama does seam to have come from guys writing stuff and not bothering to do the research or at least get a proper translation.
That being said he has to man up about it and do the right thing for his career's sake if he's serious about his NHL ambitions. A lot of guys had to go through a LOT worst than the streets of Hamilton to make it and that includes a lot of Euros from similar background to his. That's all part of being a pro.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
All cities have good and bad parts, even where you live, wherever that may be. You don't have to be a 'big' city.

Part of being a professional is doing what is asked of you by the organization. So if they want you to go visit a hospital or a school, you go, they are paying you and you do what they ask of you.

He probably was not asked to do so since he was here for a short time but if he is then he has an obligation to do so.

of course all cities have good and bad parts, that's kind of the point though, he could be speaking about most cities especially in the US as I live outside of philly and it makes Hamilton look like the garden of eden.

Yes he has to do what the organization tells him and doing charity is great but I don't think it's the right way to look at it, that just because he wasn't happy that he needs to get out and see the city if he doesn't want to.

So what's it like to work in another country?

I'm willing to cut the guy some slack in regards to the misquote part of it ;Some of the drama does seam to have come from guys writing stuff and not bothering to do the research or at least get a proper translation.
That being said he has to man up about it and do the right thing for his career's sake if he's serious about his NHL ambitions. A lot of guys had to go through a LOT worst than the streets of Hamilton to make it and that includes a lot of Euros from similar background to his. That's all part of being a pro.

It wouldn't be the first time for a Euro player to say something in his language and then have someone in the North American media to mix up the quote or take it out of context (as this board should know better then any that things can get lost in translation when dealing with non native lang)

Hopefully the Habs will work with him as we have had flat out terrible luck with our Swedish prospects. Nystrom, Engqvist, Mikael Johansson, Nichlas Torp, John Westin, Christopher Heino-Lindberg, Collberg. Hopefully DLR can break the mold as it has not gone well and Sweden has become one of the top hockey countries in the world after Canada. Nystrom, Nygren and Johansson all left Hamilton during the season, that's kind of an odd stat.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Gomer @Mike_Habs · 9 min il y a 9 minutes
Kristo cut from Rangers before Thomas is cut from Habs. #Nonstory

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Gomer @Mike_Habs · 9 min il y a 9 minutes
Kristo cut from Rangers before Thomas is cut from Habs. #Nonstory

Yeah..non-story. Though he didn't seem to shine...seems to me as one of the victims of the Duclair show. Really thought that at one point, Kristo would be the one with a Duclair type of preseason. We'll see how he does in his 2nd AHL season. Not giving up on him....yet.

Doesn't change the fact that Thomas will be cut. Real question is...who will be called up first.....meaning, who will have a greater AHL season.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Yeah..non-story. Though he didn't seem to shine...seems to me as one of the victims of the Duclair show. Really thought that at one point, Kristo would be the one with a Duclair type of preseason. We'll see how he does in his 2nd AHL season. Not giving up on him....yet.

Doesn't change the fact that Thomas will be cut. Real question is...who will be called up first.....meaning, who will have a greater AHL season.

Being called up doesn't necessarily mean you had the greater AHL season, just means your NHL team is struggling, or there are more injuries.

That said, Even if say he comes up in January and earns a full-time spot, Kristo is also two years older, so I'm not sure even making the NHL first matters that much.

I've always seen this trade as trading 6 apples for a 1/2 dozen apples. The two are very similar. Kristo a little older, a little bigger, Thomas faster, and plays grittier (compared to Kristo, not in general) IMO

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
How on earth do you infer that he is giving the impression that something is happening on the regular. I don't even know that the **** that means or what the point is. Have you ever had your car window smashed or maybe broken into? Have you ever worked in another country?

You are overreacting, most of his comments can be said about any big city in the world, it's really no big deal but leave it to HF to make a mountain out of a mole hill. He's a kid that clearly wasn't happy with his situation and he spoke his mind (first mistake) people are being way too hard on him for things that are more or less true or so off base they are just funny.

If you go visit another country and some crime happens to you, do you go on google and look up the countries crime stats? I doubt you or anyone else would, but one thing you would be right to feel is very pissed off. Have you ever been pissed off at something and then said some things you wish you didn't, not because they weren't true but because you know it's going to hurt someones feelings. It happens to lots of people all the time, people should try to relax a little more and not get offended so easily when there is so much wrong in this world.
"Hamilton is Canada's Most Criminal City".... "They shoot people for $100.00 there."

Hmmmm..... wonder where many people would infer he is saying it happens on the regular.

Also talks about poverty and 33% unemployment.

And yes, people sometimes say things in anger, and if he did, i can forgive him for that. But I'd like to see him own up to it, and ask for that forgiveness rather than trying to blame it on bad press and bad translations. When you make a mistake own up to it and apologize to the city and the people who live in Hamilton. Its not that hard.

Would show the character Bergevin is always talking about, and would also go a long way to proving he is willing to work in Hamilton to try and make the big club this year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I've always seen this trade as trading 6 apples for a 1/2 dozen apples. The two are very similar. Kristo a little older, a little bigger, Thomas faster, and plays grittier (compared to Kristo, not in general) IMO

6 apples is the same as 1/2 a dozen apples. :help:

Also I'd say Kristo is faster then Thomas, Kristo's game is all about his speed. I'd also say he's actually more gritty then Thomas although both are soft.

"Hamilton is Canada's Most Criminal City".... "They shoot people for $100.00 there."

Hmmmm..... wonder where many people would infer he is saying it happens on the regular.

And yes, people sometimes say things in anger, and if he did, i can forgive him for that. But I'd like to see him own up to it, and ask for that forgiveness rather than trying to blame it on bad press and bad translations. When you make a mistake own up to it and apologize to the city and the people who live in Hamilton. Its not that hard.

Would show the character Bergevin is always talking about, and would also go a long way to proving he is willing to work in Hamilton to try and make the big club this year.

still don't see any problem, just overreaction.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002

I know what he reportedly said is crazy, but it is a bit scary imo.

Just checked out the Bulldogs arena on google street view....

What i see :

-A rundown mall with a subway and a Halal food restaurant you would actually have to pay me to visit.
-Salvation army.
-A church with a homeless person sleeping on the porch (its real check it out)
-Hamilton public library
-1 nice governement skycraper and some nice buildings on kingstreet. that part looks fairly new.
-looked up some places talked about in the cbc comment section...it does like like detroit jr...some kind of industrial wasteland.

Hamilton :

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.2596...!1e1!3m2!1sKoECLtZq0RpHSJSBlwhuaw!2e0!6m1!1e1

If you want to compare with Färjestad arena :

https://www.google.ca/maps/@59.4084...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEOIysvwo5HhaM04YujMvvQ!2e0

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I know what he reportedly said is crazy, but it is a bit scary imo.

Just checked out the Bulldogs arena on google street view....

What i see :

-A rundown mall with a subway and a Halal food restaurant you would actually have to pay me to visit.
-Salvation army.
-A church with a homeless person sleeping on the porch (its real check it out)
-Hamilton public library
-1 nice governement skycraper and some nice buildings on kingstreet. that part looks fairly new.
-looked up some places talked about in the cbc comment section...it does like like detroit jr...some kind of industrial wasteland.

Hamilton :

https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.2596...!1e1!3m2!1sKoECLtZq0RpHSJSBlwhuaw!2e0!6m1!1e1

If you want to compare with Färjestad arena :

https://www.google.ca/maps/@59.4084...ata=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sEOIysvwo5HhaM04YujMvvQ!2e0

Again 6 homicides a year.... 5 the next year.
Detroit... 333 criminal homicides 15 justifiable homicides in 2013
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24347862/by-the-numbers-detroits-2013-violent-crime-statistics

Detroit Jr.? Really... no, not even close.

Plus the fact of the matter is that Nygren didn't live near the arena. He lived in Burlington, by his own words.

So really, he kinda owes the city an apology IMO.

Last edited:

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Again 6 homicides a year.... 5 the next year.
Detroit... 333 criminal homicides 15 justifiable homicides in 2013
http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24347862/by-the-numbers-detroits-2013-violent-crime-statistics

Detroit Jr.? Really... no, not even close.

Plus the fact of the matter is that Andrighetto didn't live near the arena. He lived in Burlington, by his own words.

So really, he kinda owes the city an apology IMO.

Oops.

Also I agree with the whole overreaction thing. You know how some journalist are and you know how well google translate can screw up translation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad