Hamilton Bulldogs @ Toronto Marlies - TVA Sports 1:00pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
You've never seen an official blow a call and have that influence the outcome???

For that nice clean hit, he had 20 other stupid penalties. He's able to throw a hit, but the amount of dumb penalty he takes makes him a liability.

I'm okay with having Hagel in the lineup, but Stortini is atrocious in every facet of his game except hitting (even then...) and taking dumb penalties. If they want a big body, get Schultz and his belly back with Hamilton, at least he won't give the other team powerplays every game.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Yup, nice clean check. And the crying from HABS fans is unreal.

I agree with you.

Stortini (who I think is a horrible fighter by the way) has become the scapegoat for the Gauthier fans who oohed and aaahed each draft pick by Timmins and pointless trades made by the Goat.

Now that those players are finally getting a chance to show what they've got in Hamilton.......and losing with very little offensive punch......the scapegoat has to be named. And Stortini it is.

Stortini is the reason the Bulldogs cannot score. Stortini is the reason that Hamilton is in last place.

I remember reading all the posts last year about Patrick Holland and how the kid was this awesome prospect. 28 games later with only 8 points and a -8, it's Stortini's fault.

It's sad when Mike Blunden is the third leading scorer on the team. But then again, that is Stortini's fault.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I agree with you.

Stortini (who I think is a horrible fighter by the way) has become the scapegoat for the Gauthier fans who oohed and aaahed each draft pick by Timmins and pointless trades made by the Goat.

Now that those players are finally getting a chance to show what they've got in Hamilton.......and losing with very little offensive punch......the scapegoat has to be named. And Stortini it is.

Stortini is the reason the Bulldogs cannot score. Stortini is the reason that Hamilton is in last place.

I remember reading all the posts last year about Patrick Holland and how the kid was this awesome prospect. 28 games later with only 8 points and a -8, it's Stortini's fault.

It's sad when Mike Blunden is the third leading scorer on the team. But then again, that is Stortini's fault.

How many AHL rookies on the Hamilton Bulldogs by chance?

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I agree with you.

Curious, where did you read people saying that all the team issues are because of Stortini? I'm failing to see how you jumped from comments of not liking Stortini's presence in the lineup/ice/team all the way to blaming him for the team losing. Not just you, several people bring this up.

I despise that Stortini takes up icetime as one of the few veteran players on this team, yet I won't blame the team's record on him. There are several issues that I see on this team:

1. Terrible special teams (PP and PK)
2. Lack of Offensive creativity or finish
3. Team has a tendency of getting mixed up in the D zone and running around

I blame the management for the team's record. Veteran AHLers like Chaput (Boyce before him), and even Blunden get top 6 min/pp time. Veteran players like Stortini and Hagel get 3rd liner type regular 5 on 5 minutes/shifts. I understand wanting to play the actual prospects...but if you are going to give icetime to veterans at least get someone who'll use the icetime to make the team win. Especially with the lockout, it couldn't have been hard to sign a good AHLer with high skill level to play Chaput's and Stortini's roles and icetime.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Chaput and Stortini. I just hate that they are taking up the veteran role that someone with actual impact ability could be filling without affecting the team's goal of playing the prospects (which I agree with).

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I agree with you.

Very few players come right into the AHL and make an impact, and none of the guys we have on Hamilton are blue chip prospects. Add that to the higher level of play this year because of the NHL lockout, and no real vets on the team to lead the way on the scoring side, and you have a team that struggles. I still think we have many good prospects on that Hamilton team, but I always thought that most would need at least a year or two before they could be go-to guys, even in the AHL...

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Curious, where did you read people saying that all the team issues are because of Stortini? I'm failing to see how you jumped from comments of not liking Stortini's presence in the lineup/ice/team all the way to blaming him for the team losing. Not just you, several people bring this up.

I despise that Stortini takes up icetime as one of the few veteran players on this team, yet I won't blame the team's record on him. There are several issues that I see on this team:

1. Terrible special teams (PP and PK)
2. Lack of Offensive creativity or finish
3. Team has a tendency of getting mixed up in the D zone and running around

I blame the management for the team's record. Veteran AHLers like Chaput (Boyce before him), and even Blunden get top 6 min/pp time. Veteran players like Stortini and Hagel get 3rd liner type regular 5 on 5 minutes/shifts. I understand wanting to play the actual prospects...but if you are going to give icetime to veterans at least get someone who'll use the icetime to make the team win. Especially with the lockout, it couldn't have been hard to sign a good AHLer with high skill level to play Chaput's and Stortini's roles and icetime.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not blaming Chaput and Stortini. I just hate that they are taking up the veteran role that someone with actual impact ability could be filling without affecting the team's goal of playing the prospects (which I agree with).

Just doing a quick count, 20 posts on this thread are anti-Stortini. Even you called for a season long suspension for a hit that was completely legal (referee blew the call big time) albeit a very hard and physical hit.

Patrick Holland gets a "nice chance" post.

Stortini is not the reason Hamilton sucks this season. No, the reason is that Timmins with the blessing of Gauthier loaded up the franchise with mediocre offensively skilled players. Not bad players, but mediocre.

As someone mentioned earlier on this thread, a team of potential NHL 3rd liners.

Those potential 3rd liners are not criticized for their play. Stortini is. Its like an alternate universe here at times.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Just doing a quick count, 20 posts on this thread are anti-Stortini. Even you called for a season long suspension for a hit that was completely legal (referee blew the call big time) albeit a very hard and physical hit.

Patrick Holland gets a "nice chance" post.

Stortini is not the reason Hamilton sucks this season. No, the reason is that Timmins with the blessing of Gauthier loaded up the franchise with mediocre offensively skilled players. Not bad players, but mediocre.

As someone mentioned earlier on this thread, a team of potential NHL 3rd liners.

Those potential 3rd liners are not criticized for their play. Stortini is. Its like an alternate universe here at times.

We aren't blaming Stortini for all the Bulldogs problems, but he's part of the problem, not the solution (lack of finish, poor creativity, lack of discipline etc.).

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
How many AHL rookies on the Hamilton Bulldogs by chance?

On offense........four.

The (first place) Syracuse Crunch on offense.....four.

We have scored 63 goals (second to last behind Albany with two games in hand) and the Crunch have scored 105 goals.

I dont see the point you are trying to make other than to try to make excuses and prop up the failures of the last several years with Gauthier's management? and Timmins' drafting.

Hamilton is Montreal's future. And it isnt looking all that bright.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
We aren't blaming Stortini for all the Bulldogs problems, but he's part of the problem, not the solution (lack of finish, poor creativity, lack of discipline etc.).

I get that. I just think that its disingenuous that Stortini is the player singled out the most while players who are supposed to be goal scorers and are under-performing (regarding their lofty expectations placed on them here) are given a pass.

Stortini is NOT the solution. Nor was he ever intended to be.

Holland, Nattinen, Bournival, Palushaj, Leblanc are the solutions........that are not playing as solutions.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
On offense........four.

We have scored 63 goals (second to last behind Albany with two games in hand) and the Crunch have scored 105 goals.

I dont see the point you are trying to make other than to try to make excuses and prop up the failures of the last several years with Gauthier's management? and Timmins' drafting.

Of our top 10 scorers 5 are rookies, on Syracuse, 2 are rookies. Wanna tell me more about this teams future?

I know you don't see the point, that's why i'm here :)

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Of our top 10 scorers 5 are rookies, on Syracuse, 2 are rookies. Wanna tell me more about this teams future?

I know you don't see the point, that's why i'm here :)

Our top ten scorers have 106 points.

The Crunch's top FIVE scorers have 103 points. The oldest in that group is Cory Conacher who is an ancient 23 years old.

Really encouraging regarding the future, eh?

Your homerism and ignorance of reality falls very flat.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
On offense........four.

Our top three offensive prospects are Alex Galchenyuk, Sebastien Collberg, Danny Kristo, and none of them are in Hamilton; this is not typical of most teams. Most teams have one of their top 3 offensive prospects in the AHL.

Our best two prospects in Hamilton are Tinordi and Beaulieu. Good players, they're doing ok according to the most knowledgeable fans watching Hamilton. Damn that evil Timmins for going for dmen rather than forwards in the 1st rounds of 2010 and 2011.

Brendan Gallagher and Patrick Holland are potential 2nd liners. They might make it or they might not, we'll see. Give it time, the adaptation from OHL to AHL is a hard one.

Otherwise, stop complaining please.

Odelein24

Sep 17, 2009
Montreal
I don't think anyone expected this group to be blowing away an AHL that's currently on hard mode.

There are many things contributing to the bulldogs difficult season so far:

- 1st year coach
- early injuries to key veterans Geoffrion, Palushaj, Leblanc
- a defense corps littered with rookies which, IMO, is the biggest contributing factor.

it's FAR to early to be calling out this team as a bunch of busts.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Our top ten scorers have 106 points.

The Crunch's top FIVE scorers have 103 points. The oldest in that group is Cory Conacher who is an ancient 23 years old.

Really encouraging regarding the future, eh?

Your homerism and ignorance of reality falls very flat.

Add up all of the AHL seasons the crunch top 5 have under their belt. If you have to take off your socks its ok, I will wait. Lets not even mention Connolly who was taken like 6th overall, he isn't helping much I guess :laugh:

MY ignorance of reality? Bulldogs have 9 rookies dispersed to almost every key position and you sit there talking like you've never even watched this sport before. 2 years is a pretty big difference, Gallagher Bournival and Holland are all 92's while Johnson is a 90. If he wasn't ripping that league up he would be on his way to bust-town.

Edit: Just look at the goaltending, Tokarski is better than anyone the bulldogs have. This is elementary, to think anyone would whine and make such ludicrous claims just boggles the mind!

Edit X2: Just noticed syracuse has 2 players born in 92, one is Connolly and the other is Namestnikov who is another 1st round pick. Hamilton has 7 92's and not one forward taken before the 3rd round.

Last edited:

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Add up all of the AHL seasons the crunch top 5 have under their belt. If you have to take off your socks its ok, I will wait. Lets not even mention Connolly who was taken like 6th overall, he isn't helping much I guess :laugh:

MY ignorance of reality? Bulldogs have 9 rookies dispersed to almost every key position and you sit there talking like you've never even watched this sport before. 2 years is a pretty big difference, Gallagher Bournival and Holland are all 92's while Johnson is a 90. If he wasn't ripping that league up he would be on his way to bust-town.

Edit: Just look at the goaltending, Tokarski is better than anyone the bulldogs have. This is elementary, to think anyone would whine and make such ludicrous claims just boggles the mind!

Edit X2: Just noticed syracuse has 2 players born in 92, one is Connolly and the other is Namestnikov who is another 1st round pick. Hamilton has 7 92's and not one forward taken before the 3rd round.

Leblanc says hello...........

I agree with the rest of your post.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
I agree with you.

I think you're absolutely right. Stortini isn't a great fighter at all, he's just meant to provide some checks and balances out there, which is completely understandable. What isn't understandable is how these people keep wanting to crucify him for the flat play of others. They'd rather have a non producing Avstin in the lineup and somehow everything would magically improve.

The team is struggling but it certainly is not because of Stortini or Hagel. Those guys are doing their jobs to the best of their abilities. Losing players due to injury, rookies who aren't making great adjustments are much more the cause of the "bad play." But as long as the Habs fans have someone to crucify right?

Kind of sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->