Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Go Swift Current!

Hopefully Steenbergen is back but I would be surprised.

Fingers crossed Skinner has another solid outing.

Last edited:
Reactions: zman77

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
I guess I'm staying up late tomorrow night cheering for Swift Current.

It will be a rough go for both of those teams if Swift Current wins tomorrow. A Broncos win means they and the Pats have to play the tie-breaker on Thursday and the winner of that plays the Titan in the Semi-Final on Friday...

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
I still think Bulldogs and hounds are the 2 best teams in Canada, chl made a mistake by not putting the memorial cup in Hamilton with all the empty seats in Regina.

Hamilton would have even more empty seats than Regina--plus FirstOntario needs to be replaced or significantly renovated if Hamilton is to ever host the Memorial Cup again. As it stands, by the time the OHL's turn comes back, without replacement, Hamilton will not be allowed to bid, as the arena is unsuitable for junior hockey due to being too large a facility and needing millions in renovations.

Whether progress is made on a new arena will determine if Staios gets more aggressive on selling off pieces in 2018/19 for hopes to be in contention for the Memorial Cup again when the OHL's turn comes back in 2020/21, as the Bulldogs project to be a mediocre team in 2018/19 with so much graduation and several players (Entwistle, Strome) in their final OHL seasons before they graduate to the AHL/NHL.

Leafs Fan 12

Jan 20, 2011
Owen Sound had a very strong team. They just seriously lacked a goaltender. If they had a decent one they would have beat the Soo.

Last I checked the goaltender was part of the team....no doubt they had a strong squad and were definitely better than their record showed but top 3 team in Canada? That seems like a stretch imo

Reactions: ScoresFromCentre

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Owen Sound had a very strong team. They just seriously lacked a goaltender. If they had a decent one they would have beat the Soo.
I agree with this. Owen Sound was as good or better than the Soo. Goaltending was average and that is what held them back. They had a solid squad. With a solid goalie I think they would have given any junior team in Canada nightmares in a series or the Mem Cup.

Last edited:

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
ljNlwjNk_bigger.jpg
Brendan Ross ‏ @RossyYoungblood 14m14 minutes ago

Brendan Ross Retweeted Jeff Marek
One of my all-time favourite players ...and that’s before I joined London
1f609.png
https://twitter.com/jeffmarek/status/999387120069361664 …
Brendan Ross added,

Jeff MarekVerified account @JeffMarek
31 Thoughts pod drops tomorrow morning.
Robert Thomas of the Hamilton Bulldogs was a real fun interview.
The St Louis Blues have a good one here.
https://twitter.com/BulldogsOHL/st...

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Hamilton would have even more empty seats than Regina--plus FirstOntario needs to be replaced or significantly renovated if Hamilton is to ever host the Memorial Cup again. As it stands, by the time the OHL's turn comes back, without replacement, Hamilton will not be allowed to bid, as the arena is unsuitable for junior hockey due to being too large a facility and needing millions in renovations.

Whether progress is made on a new arena will determine if Staios gets more aggressive on selling off pieces in 2018/19 for hopes to be in contention for the Memorial Cup again when the OHL's turn comes back in 2020/21, as the Bulldogs project to be a mediocre team in 2018/19 with so much graduation and several players (Entwistle, Strome) in their final OHL seasons before they graduate to the AHL/NHL.

To the first point, I completely disagree and I don't even remotely understand your logic on that one. Hamilton was drawing 9,000 for the OHL finals, against the Soo who are literally the furthest OHL market from Hamilton. That number already is already more then Regina is capable of drawing, even if they were at capacity. So you mean to tell me, an even bigger championship series would have drawn less in Hamilton? That's even before you add in fans from across the country, and the fact Hamilton is within incredibly short driving distance from Jr. Hockey hotbeds in London, Kitchener and Niagara, is serviced by GO Transit to the entire GTA and is literally the 3rd best OHL market as far as travel distance to other teams is concerned (beaten only by Mississauga and Guelph). I think you had a recipe there for 1990 or 2007 all over again. Also consider this article.

Hosting fee causing high Memorial Cup ticket prices, low attendance | CBC Sports

Where they outright state, if we had more seating we could have lowered the price, which is the major deterrent for this game (as well as the fact Regina is one of the more isolated markets in the WHL, although not as bad as Portland, Prince George or Brandon). That said, I can respect the OHL's decision of not giving Hamilton the game. Being so new back into the league was enough of a reason, never mind the dehumidification or screen issues.

As far as the second, I don't think arena progress will have any determination on Staios's decision making. It's very clear that this is a heavy loaded run, and picks need to be replenished and that will need to happen at some point next year. When and who that entails is another discussion entirely. It's doubtful he'll have the players needed for a run until 2021, and given the OHL's next turn should in theory be 2020, that is far too soon to build a new arena and work out the kinks before hosting.

Staios is going to likely do what worked these past few years. Squeak into the playoffs and sell-off players to recoup draft picks, expectantly tank the next season (same as when the Bulldogs came to Hamilton), start putting the pieces together in year 3 and make another run in year 4 or 5.

Last edited:

GobigorGohome

Jan 31, 2017
Pt Maitland NS
I agree with this. Owen Sound was as good or better than the Soo. Goaltending was average and that is what held them back. They had a solid squad. With a solid goalie I think they would have given any junior team in Canada nightmares in a series or the Mem Cup.
Should also add Kitchener to the mix.The Rangers would have beat SC and Pats.
From what I have seen at the Memorial Cup the OHL has by far the deepest Talent level across the league.
The WHL plays a more dump and chase and create turnovers and a lot of individual play.
Where as the O and the Q play a similar game of high speed attack with 3 forwards
coming at you.
This is Not a slight on the WHL as they obviously have some talented players.I just see the O and Q playing the NHL style of fast and skilled .
IMO.

Reactions: bobber

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
What do these 4 Bulldogs have in common?: Strome, Saigeon, Kaliyev and Bitten. Answer: They combined to score 123 regular season goals and are all looking for their first Memorial Cup goal. Lets Go Lemcke!

SteelCity4

Apr 13, 2018
Dogs will come out firing early and often tonight. Well rested and with the team depth they have should put up 3 in the first period. This Mem Cup is there's to be had. Go Dogs. Hamilton deserves this.

Evil Doctor

Cryin' Hank crying
Apr 29, 2009
Cambridge, ON
What do these 4 Bulldogs have in common?: Strome, Saigeon, Kaliyev and Bitten. Answer: They combined to score 123 regular season goals and are all looking for their first Memorial Cup goal. Lets Go Lemcke!

Paddock as let in 13 goals in the last two games. I've got a feeling those guys will be filling the net tonight...

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
I'm not about to look past Regina, and I hope the Dogs don't either. They beat us in the first game for a reason. Give it your all boys. GO DOGS GO!

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Anyone else see the Guy Fleming tweet “Thomas only has 3 points in 11 periods....” inferring that he sucks. But 11 periods is 3.5 games lol. Weird way to try to create a narrative

Last edited:

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Dunno what Fulcher was doing there.

Just not enough quality shots on goal for the Dogs and when they did get shots, they didn’t get many second chances.

Credit to Regina for blocking a bunch of shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->