Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Yep. The assumption is that Luff is gone but nothing is confirmed. He was at the first preseason game in Ancaster (wasn't dressed)

Getting another OA today (TJ Fergus) has to all but close the door on a Luff return. Hamilton already has 4 OA's now. You assume Templeton will be the odd man out, as he was in Oshawa

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Bulldogs picked up a solid veteran dman - TJ Fergus from Erie.

I'm not surprised at all with Candella being traded to Sudbury yesterday and the Bulldogs wanting to make a run. Fergus has a lot of playoff experience...not the smoke and mirrors experience the team boasts about with Templeton (6 playoff games when the Gens won the Memorial Cup). Fergus has played in the playoffs every season since he was an OHL rookie, including 10 playoff games in the 2015 playoffs, which Erie went to the OHL finals versus Oshawa, and played in the Memorial Cup final in May. This is exactly the type of experience the team needs. Equally as important, he's a good dman and can contribute.

Hamilton also now has 4 overages: Lemcke, Walters, Templeton, Fergus. I wonder if Templeton will be on the move since only 3 can be played per game, and 1 must eventually be move.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=225098

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Fergus is a nice pickup for Hamilton. Very experienced veteran dman. Decent defensively, could play on the PK. But his strength is in his puck moving ability. Good first pass, pretty good skater. He could quarterback one of Hamilton's PP units. Wish him well with the Bulldogs.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Still expecting the Bulldogs to sign or trade for a veteran goaltender within the next 48 hours before opening night Saturday.. as Staios and Gruden probably do not want Fulcher to be backed up by one of Ceci or Donofrio who haven't made enough of an impression to keep a roster spot when they're trying to get to a Memorial Cup this year..

Fulcher is still at Red Wings camp and not assured to be back in Hamilton by Saturday.. meaning it could be either Donofrio or Ceci starting Saturday unless Staios adds a goaltender within the next day..

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
isnt one of the owners of the canadians the owner of the bulldogs?

He might still own a stake--but he sold the AHL club back to the Habs(who moved it to St. Johns, then Laval) to pay for the acquisition of the OHL's Belleville Bulls (that city is of course getting an AHL franchise this season to replace the OHL team).. not sure.

Last edited:

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Fergus is a nice pickup for Hamilton. Very experienced veteran dman. Decent defensively, could play on the PK. But his strength is in his puck moving ability. Good first pass, pretty good skater. He could quarterback one of Hamilton's PP units. Wish him well with the Bulldogs.

He is solid no doubt. Biggest benefit is his experience. Last year at times though he made boneheaded errors. See game 5 vs Missy in playoffs, i think it was the goal that made it 3-1 at the time.Sometimes he loses track of his guy or takes a bad angle. Hence the reason he didnt go for a ton.
I still think Hamilton got him cheap. I would have thought 2 3rds. Overall he is still solid. Dependable, good leader guy, and again that experience. So it is a good fit.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
He is solid no doubt. Biggest benefit is his experience. Last year at times though he made boneheaded errors. See game 5 vs Missy in playoffs, i think it was the goal that made it 3-1 at the time.Sometimes he loses track of his guy or takes a bad angle. Hence the reason he didnt go for a ton.
I still think Hamilton got him cheap. I would have thought 2 3rds. Overall he is still solid. Dependable, good leader guy, and again that experience. So it is a good fit.

I would agree he is prone to mistakes which is his biggest weakness.

It depends upon those conditions. If Erie ends up with a 3rd, 5th, and 6th for Fergus I'd be happy and I think it's a fair deal for both sides.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Looks like Hamilton has decided on which 2 goalies they're going with. Meanwhile, George Burnett continues to acquire players that he previously had.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Gleason & Entwistle are on the injury list. One of the overages will sit. And one other forward will also have to sit.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
No surprise on Ceci being traded--he's 19 and not going to be a future piece for the Bulldogs as they would've likely lost him next year for nothing as there was no way any team or even the Bulldogs would take him as an OA in 2018.

Plus, Donofrio was the favorite to be the backup, as he's under and OHL contract, and he may be the starter in 2018/19, as Fulcher is an OA next year being 20 and will likely be dealt after this season as the Bulldogs may be starting a rebuild by then, as the 2017/18 team will be the peak for this organization with its current roster, as they stand to lose Bitten, Lemcke, Walters, Fergus and Templeton, and possibly Studenic, Saigeon, Burnell as they will be OAs/eligible to play in the AHL.

hfp

Jul 30, 2009
SSM
No surprise on Ceci being traded--he's 19 and not going to be a future piece for the Bulldogs as they would've likely lost him next year for nothing as there was no way any team or even the Bulldogs would take him as an OA in 2018.

Plus, Donofrio was the favorite to be the backup, as he's under and OHL contract, and he may be the starter in 2018/19, as Fulcher is an OA next year being 20 and will likely be dealt after this season as the Bulldogs may be starting a rebuild by then, as the 2017/18 team will be the peak for this organization with its current roster, as they stand to lose Bitten, Lemcke, Walters, Fergus and Templeton, and possibly Studenic, Saigeon, Burnell as they will be OAs/eligible to play in the AHL.

You dont think Hamilton tried to pursue Joseph Raaymakers?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
The K-9 Cup begis.. Fulcher and Dhillon are in net for the Bulldogs and IceDogs, respectively. And a new season starts in Hamilton--hopefully a championship one.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
No score after 1--not much discipline either as McCourt got nailed for a double-minor for high sticking. 15-10 on shots.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs lose 4-1. Gruden's going to likely to have a few words for his rookies.. especially as they made a steady stream to the penalty box. And Fulcher isn't exactly giving Hamilton confidence so far to avoid looking for another Dawson Carty type.. of course, soft D doesn't help, and a lack of offense hurts too..

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
Liked Stud, Roberts and Saigeon. They played real well all night.

Strome had a great game, seemed to be forcing turnovers all night.

Entwistle was missed tonight though, I feel like theyd have played better if they could roll 3 lines with confidence.

Hamilton Brian

Apr 12, 2004
Hamilton, ON
They seemed to have something to show during the 1st. They fell apart through the 2nd and 3rd. They seemed incapable of carrying the puck into the O zone with any sense of confidence or attack. They also continually gave the puck away in their own end with errant passing.

Detroit scout was watching their pick Webb. I wouldn't say I was overly impressed with him.

Lemcke? I've got to question a lot of his coverage.

I think Gleason and Entwhistle would have helped somewhat last night.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Raaymakers to Hamilton for a 17 year old Defencemen and a Draft pick
it will be announced Tomorrow
We will see but I have a hard time seeing the logic when Hamilton has 4 OA's (all defence). With an OA having to sit each game and Gleason being injured, that leaves Hamilton with 6 that be iced at the moment. It doesn't make sense to dwindle the defence down to 5 while a healthy OA watches from the stands.

The only 17 year old dman is McCourt.

They seemed to have something to show during the 1st. They fell apart through the 2nd and 3rd. They seemed incapable of carrying the puck into the O zone with any sense of confidence or attack. They also continually gave the puck away in their own end with errant passing.

Detroit scout was watching their pick Webb. I wouldn't say I was overly impressed with him.

Lemcke? I've got to question a lot of his coverage.

I think Gleason and Entwhistle would have helped somewhat last night.
Scratching Templeton rather than Walters would have helped a lot last night too. Ideally, Templeton will be the odd OA out as I don't understand what he brings to the team. Meanwhile Walters is arguably the Bulldogs top stay at home dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->