Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I can't imagine Mete would be back but regardless, I think Hamilton would have to offer Webb or Landry plus picks.

Max Jones could definitely contribute to the team but his undisciplined history makes me very reluctant. Based on the moves Staios has made, he has traded most of the toughness away for speed, so I doubt Jones would work with the team's vision.

Cliff Pu in an interesting one although we seem to have a lot of guys who can play RW and Hamilton really doesn't have a lot of quality younger players to offer. If anything, Hamilton will have to rely of trading draft picks with players. I believe the only 17 year old remaining is McCourt. For 18 year olds there's Strome, Entwistle, Webb, Landry, Nurse, Garagan, and Jackson. I didn't add Donofrio simply because Hamilton needs both goalies.

Montreal media has already been tweeting like it's common knowledge in the MTL brass that he's being sent back

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Don't quote me on it but I believe he made contact to the head of a Guelph player with an elbow or shoulder.

And considering David Branch's wheel of justice, Bulldogs can expect not to have Mutter until later in January or February.. depending on suspension length.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Good crowd today for the Teddy Bear Toss (4396), as they watch the Bulldogs pulverize the Spirit 7-1.

Kaliyev with a pair of goals, Studenic with a pair of points, McMichael with his 1st OHL goal!

4 points ahead of Kingston now pending tonight's Sudbury/Kingston game.. and the Bulldogs now head on to face a plummeting Steelheads squad, who look headed for a major selloff before Xmas or after the World Juniors, as they've lost 8 in a row and are deep in the OHL cellar..

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Now that we've found out that Connor McMichael has turned into a scoring machine...ahem...the team is looking stronger every day.

Dumpnchase17

Dec 13, 2017
Bulldogs looking like a force to be dealt with. Attended the Spirit game where they showed true dominance. Not sure what happened to start the season but things have definitely turned around.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Barrie just made a statement by acquiring Luchuk from Windsor to say that they're building for a run. I still believe Hamilton needs an elite top-line C, a productive LW (since we're lacking on left and have many RW), and another top dman if they truly want to make a legitimate run.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Hanley not dressed tonight. Further proves why increased depth on defence is needed for a run. Murray was listed on the 3rd defence pairing for the lines although he's hardly been seen on the ice this game.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
D-man Jordan Simpson is a Bulldogs prospect playing in Ancaster. Just wondering if he is ready to move up.

vince

Dec 6, 2017
Caamana is 'banged up'. He took some heavy hits in North Bay, especially one that was basically a 'blind-sider' that he noticed just in time. The combination probably got the best of him. North Bay players were eyeing him during the game, especially in the second half of the game, as the one to go after when possible. Hopefully he is back tomorrow

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Caamana is 'banged up'. He took some heavy hits in North Bay, especially one that was basically a 'blind-sider' that he noticed just in time. The combination probably got the best of him. North Bay players were eyeing him during the game, especially in the second half of the game, as the one to go after when possible. Hopefully he is back tomorrow
Hopefully the OHL hands out a suspension for the one hit on Caamano just like Mutter was given...which the league has yet to (and will never) say anything about.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs are rolling right along! 8-1-1 in their last 10, and 8 points ahead of Kingston.

However, this team needs to make several moves to upgrade before the trade deadline.. this team is still far below Sarnia or the Soo in having a shot at a trip to the Memorial Cup, and of course Barrie just made a big splash recently and is the biggest threat to the Bulldogs in the East, with Kingston not far behind.

Staios needs to win now--this team is going to regress significantly next season due to graduation, and it could be a while before Hamilton contends again for the Memorial Cup..

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Barrie just made a statement by acquiring Luchuk from Windsor to say that they're building for a run. I still believe Hamilton needs an elite top-line C, a productive LW (since we're lacking on left and have many RW), and another top dman if they truly want to make a legitimate run.

Ang and Timms package? Your PP would go from good to elite.

McMichael, McCourt and picks??

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Ang and Timms package? Your PP would go from good to elite.

McMichael, McCourt and picks??
Personally, I wouldn't go after either Ang or Timms. There's no doubt that Ang has skill and can skate but almost any game I've seen with Ang, he takes a lot of dumb undisciplined penalties. This is an area where the Bulldogs have focused on in the past 2 years. Some of the guys who took a lot of penalties or were undisciplined are gone (Trent Fox), or they've improved and become more responsible (Justin Lemcke). For defence, I'd prefer to add size (like Keaton Middleton).

On another note, are 16 year old rookies (McMichael) allowed to be traded? I thought they couldn't be until next season?

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Personally, I wouldn't go after either Ang or Timms. There's no doubt that Ang has skill and can skate but almost any game I've seen with Ang, he takes a lot of dumb undisciplined penalties. This is an area where the Bulldogs have focused on in the past 2 years. Some of the guys who took a lot of penalties or were undisciplined are gone (Trent Fox), or they've improved and become more responsible (Justin Lemcke). For defence, I'd prefer to add size (like Keaton Middleton).

On another note, are 16 year old rookies (McMichael) allowed to be traded? I thought they couldn't be until next season?
Only 16 year old first round players can be traded and only from Jan 1st until trade deadline. all other picks 2nd and down cannot be moved until next year.

vince

Dec 6, 2017
ummmm...no thanks to that deal....we will need as many youngsters in the lineup next year and beyond after losing many after this year. It isnt like we have tons of draft choices to deal from either. In addition, there are better pairings than Ang and Timms to go after for the players you suggest.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Only 16 year old first round players can be traded and only from Jan 1st until trade deadline. all other picks 2nd and down cannot be moved until next year.
Excellent. Thanks for the clarification! That's a small trade window for first round 16 year olds but it's understandable. It wouldn't be fair to a 16 year old to trade him while he's settling into a new school.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Excellent. Thanks for the clarification! That's a small trade window for first round 16 year olds but it's understandable. It wouldn't be fair to a 16 year old to trade him while he's settling into a new school.
All first round picks and all kids still in high school also have a NTC so gives the kids and parents a chance to refuse a move that may impact their schooling. As I noted on another thread GM's continue to talk during the break and kids may already be part of a deal but kids cannot be informed and the league will not approve of it until after Jan 1st. There are likely deals agreed to right now sitting on a GM's desk that will not see the light of day until Jan 1st so the short window is not really an issue for the GM's. The only way it becomes a problem if the 1st rounder decides to invoke his NTC and the GM has to scramble for another option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad