Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
Dogs pick up a 6-2 win, Strome 2g 1a with the gordie howe hat trick, plus a dirty lacrosse goal, Nick caassamo picked up 1g 1a and Navrin Mutter picked up his 1st 2 career goals

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Great win, but where are the fans??? 2973 for a strong contender is disappointing for a team with championship aspiration, and excluding School Day, they're averaging low 3000s this season..

Really need those Christmas tickets to help get fans coming to the games! Especially when Andlauer needs to give the city of Hamilton a good reason to help chip in on building a new arena for the Bulldogs, knowing he''ll pay half the costs--this team has lease extension talks looming after the new year, and progress needs to be made on a new arena plan to keep the Bulldogs in Hamilton long term.

Last edited:

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
i donno but seems like some of the leagues teams are down in attendance this year

True, but some, like Sudbury, Erie, Flint and North Bay, are due to bad teams and/or rebuilding. Others, like Sarnia, are due to their market's economy being garbage. Some markets, like Peterborough, are up this season, though due to winning.

Mississauga's problems are a product of being in Leafs territory and never being a draw, no matter the name of the team, and are a likely candidate for relocation as early as this offseason if a new lease is not agreed on, as ownership has already said it can no longer stomach financial losses, which are significant on this team.

Hamilton's poor attendance is due to a crappy economy in Hamilton, an antiquated arena that is overdue for refurbishment or replacement, and the overpriced tickets at FirstOntario pricing out families (one of the highest tix prices in the OHL IIRC), and the disappointment of the team losing the Memorial Cup bid to Regina.

Mississauga and Hamilton have the most to worry regarding attendance and their future, as both teams have to face their city's governments for lease extensions at season's end, and in Hamilton's case, the city needs to show they'll commit to helping Andlauer build a new arena for the Bulldogs, along with the team being able to fill the arena every game without being a financial drag on the team or the city, which the Bulldogs currently are for the playing at FirstOntario Centre--it's too expensive for them to continue to play there long term to a half to two-thirds empty lower bowl, and they need a smaller arena--otherwise, they will risk relocation again within a few years, just like previous Hamilton teams. It is likely they will renew though, but terms depend on the city's commitment to a new arena.

TcNorth

Jan 25, 2015
I think Flint could have some worries going forward as well. Ours is owner related.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
I think Flint could have some worries going forward as well. Ours is owner related.

Definitely. And it's likely going to worsen with the team now tanking for the #1 pick after dealing Moore and Caamano to the Bulldogs.. as for Hamilton itself, I've alays thought they aimed for 2018 for a championship run for a reason, because the team's future in Hamilton is uncertain beyond that as FirstOntario Centre is not a sustainable facility for the Bulldogs long term when it's difficult for the team to even fill half the building unless it's School Day..

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The OHL Bulldogs roster site no longer lists Templeton. Anyone know if he has landed somewhere?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
The OHL Bulldogs roster site no longer lists Templeton. Anyone know if he has landed somewhere?

No word yet. And most likely he was released as he's useless to the Bulldogs right now, especially with recent acquisitions--they're in win now mode and he's not a piece that can help them.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
No word yet. And most likely he was released as he's useless to the Bulldogs right now, especially with recent acquisitions--they're in win now mode and he's not a piece that can help them.

Why do you have to continually post everything with such negative connotation? Seriously, he most certainly is not 'useless', he is just a victim of a numbers game where the dogs don't want to give up the rights to Luff, which they would have had to do. The dogs will miss his toughness and willingness to do what he had to to make the team better. Wish him nothing but success in his future.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Hamilton's got Flint and Saginaw tomorrow and Friday.

Anything less than a sweep would be disappointing.. though Saginaw may be a tough one. Hopefully the recent trades will help..
And the Bulldogs are back tied for 1st after Kingston won earlier today.. though with the Fronts playing the Soo this weekend, it is important for the Bulldogs to bank these points and pull away from Kingston in the standings.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I wouldn't say that anything less than a sweep would be disappointing. Saginaw shouldn't be underestimated as a walk in the park. They haven't lost in regulation in the last 7 games. (6-0-1-0). Although Hamilton should do well on the trip. The game against Saginaw should be a fun one. With Flint, I could see a few former players of both teams stepping it up in that battle (Bitten, Caamano, and Moore vs Roberts, Colella, and Gordeev).

Hamilton still remains at the top of the East. Kingston is tied with Hamilton for points, the Fronts have 1 more regulation loss and 1 more game played.

CJinGrandBlanc

Apr 7, 2016
I wouldn't say that anything less than a sweep would be disappointing. Saginaw shouldn't be underestimated as a walk in the park. They haven't lost in regulation in the last 7 games. (6-0-1-0). Although Hamilton should do well on the trip. The game against Saginaw should be a fun one. With Flint, I could see a few former players of both teams stepping it up in that battle (Bitten, Caamano, and Moore vs Roberts, Colella, and Gordeev).

Hamilton still remains at the top of the East. Kingston is tied with Hamilton for points, the Fronts have 1 more regulation loss and 1 more game played.

Not going to be setting a foot in the Dort until our current ownership here in Flint is removed.

Am looking forward to watching Friday night's game via OHL Live. I have a suspicion that Bitten, Caamano and Moore are really going to be up for this game and with Flint's porous defense could really put up some big numbers.

Congrats to the Bulldogs on cracking the Top Ten at #8 of the CHL rankings.

Reactions: Canadian Game

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Late rally propels the Bulldogs to a 4-3 win vs. the Saginaw Spirit! Fulcher wasn't his best tonight however.. 17 saves on 20 shots, and it took a big 3rd period for the Bulldogs to come back and win. Wonder if Donofrio gets the start tomorrow night due to Fulcher's struggle tonight vs. the Spirit..

Studenic with a pair of goals, Entwistle returns with a pair of assists, Matt Strome picks up 2 more points.
Onto Flint, where they will most certainly rout the Firebirds tomorrow night.

Dogsgottabite

Oct 9, 2015
Big win against a hot team.
Character win again against a pretty solid squad last night agreed. I see some issues on the horizon for the coaching crew though. Bitten,Saigeon,Moore,Entwistle and McMichael are all centers and need to play. Assuming Bitten is a lock on a first line with Strome and Caamano. Saigeon gets Moore and Studenic, that leaves Entwistle as the third line center with Nurse and Kaliyev. I can't see his camp being happy with third line minutes and no pp for very long. Things could get interesting. Go Dogs!

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Character win again against a pretty solid squad last night agreed. I see some issues on the horizon for the coaching crew though. Bitten,Saigeon,Moore,Entwistle and McMichael are all centers and need to play. Assuming Bitten is a lock on a first line with Strome and Caamano. Saigeon gets Moore and Studenic, that leaves Entwistle as the third line center with Nurse and Kaliyev. I can't see his camp being happy with third line minutes and no pp for very long. Things could get interesting. Go Dogs!

Could mean more trades coming to clear the backlog--Bulldogs still need more scoring if they're even going to be a threat to Sarnia or the Soo in May.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs are already down 3-0 to Flint.. and Donofrio is starting as expected. Connor Roberts has already burned his former team with a goal..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad