Hamilton Bulldogs 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
I believe a slew foot is an automatic (minimum) 2 game suspension, but could be wrong. Can't understand why the Bulldogs would scratch Walters for Templeton. Walters could have contributed more to this game. Better to run with 7 dmen than plug Templeton on the 4th line.

Probably because Gruden is fearing for his job because the Bulldogs have been so offensively inept, due to injuries and possibly poor development of their offensive players.. I mean, with all the talent on this roster, the Bulldogs should have a lot more goals than this.. it's guaranteeing Andlauer will be sharpening the ax on the coaching staff and the roster through trades soon if things don't improve. Especially with the team trying to compete for a run to the Memorial Cup..

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
I don't buy into the rhetoric of Gruden's job being on the line at all. There's things that needs fixing (by Gruden and Staios) but it's not like the season is going horribly. The top things I feel they need to improve are faceoffs, PP, staying disciplined, move out Templeton, and some forward scoring... although I highly disagree with the mentality that Strome is THE scorer for the team as the team does have scoring depth. Some of this falls on Gruden, and some falls on Staios, but I don't think talk of firings is deserved at this point.

HamiltonOHL

BulldogsFan00
Jun 30, 2005
Hamilton, Ontario
what makes me laugh is how everyone in the off-season was saying how Nurse should be cut and such but yet he came to camp and showed everyone why hes a good bottom 6 forward...

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs have come back to tie at 5 in a crazy game.. Isaac Nurse has been a big winner with a pair of goals. Neither Fazio or Fulcher have been able to keep pucks out of the net tonight..

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Sarnia wins in OT. Hamilton fails to finish the job again.. 3 OTL/SOL so far this season..

Reality is, Hamilton should have never been in this game.. but Sarnia's lack of discipline (Bulldogs had 8 PP opportunities and went 2/8 on the powerplay) kept the Bulldogs in this game. Defense let them down again, as Fulcher was bombarded with 46 shots (40 saves).

Face-offs are still an issue--Sarnia dominated at the faceoff dot (55-33).

Isaac Nurse had a pair of goals in the game, Saigeon had 1 G and 1A.. but it wasn't enough.
Not going to get any easier--Oshawa and Kingston, two very good teams, loom for the Bulldogs.

Last edited:

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
what makes me laugh is how everyone in the off-season was saying how Nurse should be cut and such but yet he came to camp and showed everyone why hes a good bottom 6 forward...
I didn't think he stood out last year. Seemed like Nurse was there but generally didn't stand out. Jackson was the better of two. However, he worked hard over the summer and is having a good year. Hopefully he keeps it up.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Sarnia wins in OT. Hamilton fails to finish the job again.. 3 OTL/SOL so far this season..
Let's acknowledge a couple of massive parts that are missing here. They came back from a 4-0 deficit and scored 5 goals (since you've been critical of this...especially since Strome is out).

The first period was awful. Haven't seen one like that in a while. The use of Walters (a quality stay at home D) would have been of better use over Templeton on the 4th line (which was used in the final minute of a tied game?!). They seemed to regroup in the first intermission and showed up for the second and third period. It was also nice to see that aside from Mutter's slew foot, the team stayed disciplined.

Hamilton definitely needs to put these games away. Can't depend on single point games in the standings but it is nice that they only have 1 regulation loss this season. They just need to finish on the other side of these 1 goal OT/SO games.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Let's also not forget Navrin Mutter is facing 2 games minimum suspension for his slew foot and possibly more depending how David Branch interprets it.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Interesting article in the Spec today focussing in on drafting/cultivating talent. The article does not put the team in a good light with respect to either. I do not disagree but I do wonder why that is so.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Interesting article in the Spec today focussing in on drafting/cultivating talent. The article does not put the team in a good light with respect to either. I do not disagree but I do wonder why that is so.

Here's the link to the article BTW:
https://www.thespec.com/sports-story/7608795-it-s-time-to-grow-some-stars/

It's the main reason Andlauer, if he's even committed to Hamilton beyond this season (expiring lease and a city not willing to pay to renovate FirstOntario Centre leaves uncertainty), needs to clean house. It's obvious Staios is doing nothing to help in player development, and they're hiring the wrong coaches--I mean, considering Strome was supposed to be a 1st-round pick!

Continued poor development of players is going to lead to top OHL prospects not reporting to Hamilton as families are going to consider the Bulldogs a terrible organization for developing players into potential NHL talent.

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
For the first time this season, everyone is healthy for the Bulldogs in a 3 in 3 this weekend, starting with the Gennies. Strome and Entwistle are back, Mutter is out 2 games due to the slewfoot.

But will the Bulldogs score consistently or do anything on the faceoff?

And it's Keyser vs. Fulcher in net. Donofrio is expected to get a start this weekend.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
It's been over 12 hours since the last Bulldog game and there's been no negative talk so they must have won. LOL.

I realize that Walters is one of 4 20-year olds but he hasn't played the last two games. Is he really considered the "4th" guy or is it possible he's injured?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
It's been over 12 hours since the last Bulldog game and there's been no negative talk so they must have won. LOL.

I realize that Walters is one of 4 20-year olds but he hasn't played the last two games. Is he really considered the "4th" guy or is it possible he's injured?

Yes, they won--first complete effort by the Bulldogs this season, though Oshawa shot itself going 0/7 on the PP.. strong outing by Fulcher. As for Walters.. the Bulldogs are going to make a decision on their OAs soon--can't keep 4 OAs on the roster.

Still too many penalties though..

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Fulcher not getting much work tonight as the Bulldogs are badly outshooting Kingston after 1.. but still down 1-0 as Helvig has been a brick wall.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
Nice comeback win tonight. And Walters played picking up an assist and finishing he game a +3.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Yeah that was a great game. This weekend has gone quite well so far. Hopefully today they still have energy left to play North Bay today. With Walters and Fergus being the scratches over the last 2 nights, I wonder if the plan is to scratch Templeton today and have the guys with some rest playing today while others are tired. I also wonder if Jackson will be in since he's been scratched the last 2 games, and if Donofrio will be starting. The team looks tired yesterday, so they could use some rested legs.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
So, 9 games in and just one regulation loss to date. Fulcher has a 2.61 GAA which is the lowest of all Eastern Conference goaltenders. Anybody see that coming?

digiblader

Nov 6, 2015
Bulldogs beat Ottawa 3-0. Fulcher with the shutout, Strome, Gleason and Studenic each with goals.

Where are the fans? I know it's Ti-Cats season, but only 2818 showing up? Have the Bulldogs fallen out of favour in Hamilton due to the Leafs success?

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
On a day like today the last place I wanted to be was in an arena. Fulcher now with a 2.27 GAA, third lowest in OHL, lowest in Eastern Conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad