Hamhuis v R.Suter v P.Martin

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabby19

Sep 8, 2004
What do you think the realistic offensive potential is for each of these three defencemen over say the next season or two. If you had to rank them on realistic production forecasts, how would you do it?

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
In terms of offensive production over the next couple seasons, I'd rank them:

Hamhuis
Suter
Martin

But make no mistake, Suter will overtake Hamhuis as he earns more playing time. I'd think by his 3rd or 4th season, Suter will be a 30+ point guy, maybe even 40+. He's got the ability to score 50-60+ if rule changes to open up the game come into play.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Flame_Star_Devil said:
Martin is gonna surprise everyone...
He was perhaps the best Amercian defenseman and one of the best overall in the World Cup and I'm still amazed people continiously want to short change him.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I only have him ranked lower than the other two because he plays on a trapping team. It's rare for a Devils defenseman not named Niedermayer to post high point totals.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
Mr Bugg said:
I only have him ranked lower than the other two because he plays on a trapping team. It's rare for a Devils defenseman not named Niedermayer to post high point totals.
His had 6 goals and 18 assists last year for the Devils straight out of college, for a rookie that's pretty impressive and if anybody saw him play in the World Cup they had to come away impressed with his poise out there.

This kid is good and he's only going to get better, MUCH better.

EDIT: I was also refering to a poll down recently where Hamhuis went head to head against Martin and beat him 65-8! I haven't seen enough of Hamhuis play to make a fair asessment on him but for him to be that much better than Martin in people's eye's he's must be one hellva player. Perhaps he's better, I just don't get to see the Predators much at all.

Last edited:

DownFromNJ

Mar 7, 2004
I'd rank them all roughly equal. Suter has the highest ceiling but the other two had great rookie seasons. Both are top level defensemen on their respective teams.

Suter could be a hall of famer, but he could also still bust. Martin and Hammy have proven that they will not bust.

Strong Island

Jun 6, 2004
Long Island, NY
Mr Bugg said:

Brian Rafalski has averaged about 40 points per year ever since he entered the NHL.

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
gabby19 said:
What do you think the realistic offensive potential is for each of these three defencemen over say the next season or two. If you had to rank them on realistic production forecasts, how would you do it?

I am not going to speak about Paul Martin since I'm not sure of the Devils situation, but there is little chance that Suter will surpass Hamhuis. That being said, I don't see a significant increase in Hammer's point totals for next year. He's not going to see too much more time on the PP this year because of Zidlicky and Timonen. The Preds rely so heavily on those two to generate on the Power play that Hammer is left with mop up duty in most cases. The real ice time increases from Hammer will be on the PK (he'll probable almost double last years total of 2:31 per game, maybe more if the Preds view this as a chance to rest Timonen) and ES time (he'll be up a minute or two from his 17:33 per game).

He'll likely log around 26-28 minutes per game(~4-5 minutes of PK, ~3 minutes of PP, ~19-20 minutes of ES) but not enough on the Powerplay for him to jump significantly. He'll probably have around 30-35 points max barring an injury to Zids or Timonen. His goal total will remian the same (around 7-10) but his assists will be in the mid 20's.

As for Suter, I can't see him playing a major role on the Preds next year. He'll be a top 6 Dmen because, unlike Hamhuis, Suter will step in to a more crowded D core and won't be forced into a top 4 role.

He might break the top 4 two years from now, but even then, he won't surplant Hammer on the PP and at the very least will be his partner on the second unit.

Without a doubt, the list goes Hammer and then Suter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad