Value of: HALL to TEAM 2 to LEAFS

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Thoughts on the framework of something along the lines of a 3 way deal

Buffalo GETS - 2021 1st round pick (Tor) for 50% retention on Taylor Hall (4m)

Team 2 Gets (Detroit, Ottawa, LAK) - 2021 2nd round pick (Tor) for 25% retention on Hall (2m) and Pierre Engvall (1.2m)

Leafs Get - Taylor Hall @ 2M

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
You can only get other teams to eat a maximum of %50 of his salary so you can't get it down to 2M even if 2 teams were involved

Reactions: Dache

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Simmonds - Matthews - Marner
Hall - Tavares - Nylander
Hyman - Kerfoot - Mikheyev
Thornton - Spezza - ?

Stuart Little

Nov 13, 2019
Sorry I didnt know that was the case - in the event of that

would Buffalo do something along the lines of

Hall and Staal - each retained 50%

for

Kerfoot, Engvall, 1st?

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Chicago would be happy to be the 3rd team to facilitate this, but realistically I don’t think the Leafs would need to pay that much.

Reactions: Crow

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
As a Toronto fan, I would love to see Hall. It would just be fun. His under-the-hood numbers are still pretty strong: possession, forechecking recoveries, controlled entries, and shot assists. I've watched a few Buffalo games and I think his effort level is still pretty good, all things considered over there.

I think he's still a high-end player and adds a needed forechecking element to one of the top-two lines. Mirtle had a piece not long ago on how the Leafs should be able to add a $4 million cap hit, so they'd only need Buffalo to retain half.

That said, I don't think this is the direction Dubas is looking. I think he would prefer a forward with more defensive value, and all indications are that he's most interested in Granlund.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
As a Toronto fan, I would love to see Hall. It would just be fun. His under-the-hood numbers are still pretty strong: possession, forechecking recoveries, controlled entries, and shot assists. I've watched a few Buffalo games and I think his effort level is still pretty good, all things considered over there.

I think he's still a high-end player and adds a needed forechecking element to one of the top-two lines. Mirtle had a piece not long ago on how the Leafs should be able to add a $4 million cap hit, so they'd only need Buffalo to retain half.

That said, I don't think this is the direction Dubas is looking. I think he would prefer a forward with more defensive value, and all indications are that he's most interested in Granlund.

I wonder if a guy like Hall would actually benefit from the quarantine period if he gets sent to a Canadian team.
Gives him a week to just ride the bike, and relax. Get his mind off the horrible season Buffal has had so far.
Gives the team a ton of time to do video sessions about things he can change / the difference in systems between Buffalo and his new team.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
You can only get other teams to eat a maximum of %50 of his salary so you can't get it down to 2M even if 2 teams were involved
Unless this changed with the new CBA, I don’t think this is true. The wording of the rule is very unclear, but it’s been done before.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Unless this changed with the new CBA, I don’t think this is true. The wording of the rule is very unclear, but it’s been done before.

I am not 100% certain but I would bet what I said was the case. When it was done before it's usually a case that Team A might eat 25% of the salary and Team B eats 25% so in the case of Hall. He would get traded to Team B @25% retention or 6M, then he gets traded to Toronto at 25% retention = 4M

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Hall isn't a player the leafs should be looking at imho. Granlund, palmeri, rakell, glendening, iaffalo, or even a dude like dzingle would be on the radar.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I wonder if a guy like Hall would actually benefit from the quarantine period if he gets sent to a Canadian team.
Gives him a week to just ride the bike, and relax. Get his mind off the horrible season Buffal has had so far.
Gives the team a ton of time to do video sessions about things he can change / the difference in systems between Buffalo and his new team.

I think it would too. He just needs a reset. Everyone in Buffalo clearly does.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I am not 100% certain but I would bet what I said was the case. When it was done before it's usually a case that Team A might eat 25% of the salary and Team B eats 25% so in the case of Hall. He would get traded to Team B @25% retention or 6M, then he gets traded to Toronto at 25% retention = 4M

One team can only retain 50%, the second team can retain 50% of the remaining for a max total of 75% retention. Lehner and Scuderi are examples of multi-retention that exceeded 50% on the same contract.

Retained Salary Transactions - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: boredmale

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad