Half shield good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since high school I've played with no cage (visor for juniors, now just nothing). Only time I've been seriously hurt was in an alumni game against my old high school team that I played in. I was THAT GUY wearing the visor when all the kids still wore cages, and a kid who was a friend of mine took a run at me and knocked out my 2 front teeth (wasn't wearing a mouthguard since we weren't checking hard). I kicked the crap out of him since it really pissed me off that he'd come at me with a stick like that. It's really the only time I've been seriously hurt for not wearing a cage, but there is a BIG difference in stickwork between guys who have always worn a cage, and guys who have never worn one.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
A big thing I noticed is that when I have a full cage on some players can be real pricks and they'll high-stick and punch and what not. Where as once I either have the visor or nothing at all they'll play a little less *****-ish...ly...

92hatchattack

Dec 23, 2005
Jersey
what i have learned from this thread--------> Not to be a reckless ***** if i wear a full cage. Ill be sure to watch my stick.

FlyChicaga

Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Well giving it some thought, I figured I want to keep my teeth so I went with the full cage. I'm getting used to wearing it, and twice now I think it's saved some major dental work. I like to scrap in front of the net and try for the tip, so I'm always in front of shots. Took a tip shot to the lower cage, which definitely would have taken out a few teeth. Same night, crossing center ice a guy cuts in front of me and we collide, and he put his head down straight into my cage. Probably would have been some serious damage with the half-shield. As it was I was pretty loopy after that (although when we hit I just stopped and he got laid out like a rag-doll, jackass).

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
I've been wearing a half-shield + mouthguard for about 10 years, and have only been cut once (knock on wood), and that was when someone purposely butt-ended me in the face.
I play in a fairly competitive rec league, and a few tournaments every year, but I don't play 'balls out' so to speak: I don't regularly fall down to block shots (that's why the goalie has all that padding for), I don't dive at other players feet, and I don't get into too much roughing after the whistle.

I say play with whatever your comfortable with. Personally, I figure a dentist can replace teeth, but noone has quite mastered the artificial eye yet.

However, if you're playing with a full cage and most of the other players aren't, don't go flying into scrums with your stick up or taking pokes at other player's faces.

technophile

Oct 10, 2005
Austin, TX
www.randomtree.org
Full cage here. I'm too pretty for missing teeth/scars. ;)

Seriously though, it's nice to not have to worry about taking a shot off the noggin or a stick in the face. I don't play like I'm invincible (i can't recall the last time I high-sticked someone, and I'm a clean player in general), I just don't want to worry about some newbie player falling down and landing his stick blade on my nose, or going to lift my stick and taking a few teeth with him.

Also, the Google Text ads for this thread are hilarious...

dabid

Feb 6, 2006
HFBoards
This is somewhat off topic but I do the Dominik Hasek helmet/shield when I play goal with my friends. I highly doubt I'll be able to play with a helmet like that when I play High School next year, I'm gonna try anyway.

SOS

Jan 27, 2004
Vancouver BC
No opinion on whether or not someone should do away with their full cage/shield...but for those thinking about it, keep this in mind. If you plan on playing hockey for years to come, it's not a matter of if anything will happen to your face or teeth, but when.

Thus is the nature of hockey.

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
Like most everyone else here, I say go with what makes YOU comfortable. I hate to even wear a HELMET when I play, but the younger guys have no respect for other people's faces and heads these days, so you have to wear one.

I had a full shield Itech, but it fogged up every time you slowed down, plus it scratched easily. The full cage is very hard to see out of when you are not used to it, and if you are a player like me who is a passer, it really affects your game. I went to a half shield for several years, but when it got scratched and the screws holding it on got stripped, I took it off and have not regretted it. Although I have seen several of my teammates get carved this year, so I'm thinking seriously about getting a new helmet/half shield combo. I have good dental insurance, but only 2 eyes, so I should probably protect them both!

I had a puck go up under my half shield about 15 years ago and cut my eyelid for 8 stiches, and sticks will fit under them, so don't think you are invincible with one on. But at the same time, a full cage may make you more reckless (or "brave"), but remember, if you wear one and hit someone in the face with your stick, you will probably be heading for the boards head-first on your next shift! Just play the game straight-up and you will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->