Half shield good enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyChicaga

Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
Back when I played in high school, we'd be required to wear a full mask. Same was for shinny hockey, they had rules about it. Now, they don't anymore, and it seems like maybe 15% of the guys we play with wear a full mask. Most don't wear any mask at all, and just a few a half shield. For the past few months playing, I've only been using a half shield, and started wearing a mouthguard to protect my teeth. As of late though, thanks to some horror stories of losing teeth from shots or sticks to the face, I'm leaning on going back to the full cage.

Thing is, I'm torn. I like the visibility and open air I get from the half shield, while protecting my eyes. But I like the protection the cage gives. I feel with the full cage that I'll get more aggressive, standing in front of the net more (I do already, but get a little gunshy when I see someone T-up for a slapper) for the deflection, and I'd probably drop more to block shots from the point. (I play center normally).

I guess my question is, should I just get over my feelings that I'm a big ***** for wearing a full cage, or can I be happy with a half-shield and a good mouthguard that I'll keep all my teeth?

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
If it has an affect on the way you play (not blocking shots or screening the goalie) or you think about it on the ice then go with whatever will allow you to play and concentrate solely on hockey.
It also depends on who you play with. Guys that have always worn full masks seem to be a lot more ignorant of where their stick goes (in general). I play with a group of guys that I have played with for 20+ years and we've all grown up without facemasks and I don't even wear a helmet when I play with them and only had a few stitches in 20 years.
Another group I wear a helmet but no mask, but I am very used to it and I don't even think about it.
I've had 3 teeth knocked out while playing Juniors and that was wearing a full shield and the half shield used to tear up the bridge of my nose so nothing is perfect. Just go with whatever makes you feel the most comfortable.

felixno44

Jul 5, 2005
surrey, bc
played ten years without any visor or full cage and nothing ever happened. then a teammate was hit by a stick and lost some teeth so i bought a face cage. after two practices i didn´t even notice it anymore. took two slapshots to the face since i put it on. get one, it´s really worth it.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Went from a full cage to a half shield for two years, the only one on my team to do so.

In that time, I had a front tooth knocked out and took 10 stitches to my chin.

I returned to a full cage. ;)

Last edited:

Steve Gatzos*

Great I just got a half shield, looking forward to having some teeth knocked out. Good thing i had braces :thumbu:

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
In the rec league I play in you must have either a half shield, a full shield, a half cage or a full cage.

I play with a half shield and wear a mouthguard, and haven't had any problems so far (2nd season) knock on wood.

Last game a guy on my team went to lift the stick of an opposing player and either his or the other player's stick came up and got the guy in the mouth. He claimed that his tooth was chipped, which got my teammate kicked out of the game, even though the guy with the chipped tooth never missed a shift. :dunno:

Anything can happen I guess, but I would assume that the guy wasn't wearing a mouthguard.

My buddy who plays with a full cage admits that it makes him play a lot more fearless because he feels invincible. That can be dangerous in itself.

Puckboy

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Wolfpack said:
In the rec league I play in you must have either a half shield, a full shield, a half cage or a full cage.

I play with a half shield and wear a mouthguard, and haven't had any problems so far (2nd season) knock on wood.

Last game a guy on my team went to lift the stick of an opposing player and either his or the other player's stick came up and got the guy in the mouth. He claimed that his tooth was chipped, which got my teammate kicked out of the game, even though the guy with the chipped tooth never missed a shift. :dunno:

Anything can happen I guess, but I would assume that the guy wasn't wearing a mouthguard.

My buddy who plays with a full cage admits that it makes him play a lot more fearless because he feels invincible. That can be dangerous in itself.

The guy chipped a tooth he did not break a leg. No reason to miss a shift. I played for years without a cage and no problems. Then one night same situation as described above I had two teeth removed by a guy that was not a dentist. I put the cage back on and it does reduce my vision a little, but all the trips to the dentist I have made the past few months keeps me wearing it. My advice is go to the cage unless it is going to ruin your game and you will not go pro.

I did miss one shift when I lost the teeth, but that was to stop the bleeding.

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
I don't wear a cage....probably won't ever wear a cage again. **** happens. I've got my dental coverage, and the league has dental coverage...hell, my mouthgaurd has enough coverage on it.

I have a visor, and I'm one of the few in the league that does...like has been said though, guys that play with visors, play, more often than not, a bit more reckless, which gets irratating...

in 6 years of no cage though, I've been hit in the mouth with a stick once...lost 1 tooth....puck has hit my visor a number of times, but nothing serious...but I see no need to go to the cage, and my vote would be that yes, a half shield IS enough

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I've always played with a cage. I don't even know it's there anymore. Makes you play a tougher game. No way would I attempt to block shots like I do without it.

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
I've played with a half shield in Men's League for... I don't know - 8 or 10 years now? For reference, I play defense, and one of the leagues I play in is primarily former AHL Players and former D1 players. These guys can shoot the puck.

About a month ago was the first time anything ever happened to me... My own goalie smashed me in the face with his stick (he was trying to swat at an airborn puck - or so he says... :huh: ) - Just opened a gash on my nose and bruised around my eye.

Bled like a stuck pig - I probably shoulda gotten it stitched up, but whatever... Chicks dig scars.

But my point (really - there IS one in here somewhere...) I said I'd switch over to a full cage after the close call, but I didn't. It's just what I feel comfortable with. I feel comfortable blocking shots, wrestling with guys in front of the net, digging in the corners, etc. (Actually - the only time I ever DIDN'T feel comfortable blocking shots, and found myself shying away from them, was one night when I'd forgotten my shoulder pads... Hmmm...)

I think a lot of it also has to do with the guys you're playing against... Most of the guys in the leagues I play in (especially the one with the former A and D1 guys) are very respectable as far as their stick work goes. They can all play the game really well, and so there isn't much stick-work going on at all.

Like I said - go with whatever makes you feel comfortable, and what makes you perform YOUR best. If that means no shield or a half-shield, so be it. If you find yourself shying away from the play out of fear of losing an eye - put on a full cage... You'll get used to it quickly, and you'll be that much a better player because of your comfort level.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
Half cage! It never fogs up, doesn't scratch, don't have to clean it off. But yeah, do what you're most comfortable with. If you feel you play better with a full face cage, or visor, go for it. If you think the better visibility of a half cage, or visor outweighs the 'safety' (I put safety in quotes because you can generally trust the guys you play with in beer leagues), grab it. If you're crazy, don't wear any face protection. If you're crazier, don't wear a helmet at all like that nut up there.

Polska

May 25, 2004
Vancouver
Well, I've been wearing a half shield for a couple seasons and had no problems until my last season when I got into a bit of a scrum with some nut and got cross checked in the face. He hit me right under my bottom lip and made a gash that went clear through, and visibly so. It only required about 15 stitches but nonetheless sucked.

It's now scarred and left my bottom lip crooked, which I'm not too happy about but oh well. So there's an obvious risk you expose yourself to. Something to consider.

Proby24

Jul 15, 2003
Very good question. I ditched my full cage as soon as I was old enough (about ten years ago), started with a half visor after that, got rid of that within a season and went visor/cage'less up to this season when the UK ice hockey federation made a half-visor the minimum requirement.

I always found the guys with full-cages extremely irritating, they seemed to play chippier than was required and were FAR more reckless with the stick. I guess that is one reason why I never wore one, I didn't like the stigma of it. Visibility of course was also a huge factor.

Having said that, we are all now playing in rec leagues, we all have jobs to go to the next morning. Black eyes and stitches might be 'cool' if you are an NHL enforcer but seem very 'uncool' to my boss. Screw being macho, if I were you , get the full cage on, and enjoy the game. Good luck.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
i played with no shield/cage for a while, after there was no requirement. no problems for about 3-4 years, until i was trying to wrap around the net, and the defensemen trried to lift my stick from behind, and hit me in the mouth. 2 teeth out 12 stiches in. over a year of dental work, and it's safe to that i wear a cage now. bottom line, for most of us hockey will not be our life's work, just a passion, so protect your face. i work a 9-5 job in the corporate world, and trust me it sucked going to work with a busted face.

dental work is worse than any broken bones or concusions that i have ever had.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I was wearing a half shield and mouth guard and thought that was ok. I left it off one night when I bought a new helmet (didn't fit well). After that I never put it on again. I played a faw years like that. I got some cuts and stiches but didn't think about going back. Then one night I get hit from behind (accidently by a teammate) and go face first into the end boards. Badly broken nose, concussion, swollen face, surgery and lost time at work. After that I went back to the cage for the first time since high school. I don't mind it and it didn't take long to adjust to it. I hated the way the shield blurred things and fogged up.

While I wouldn't go back to a half shield. I would say go with withever makes you feel comfortable. If you feel the need to wear one then by all means do so.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If you get paid to play, half shield.

If you pay to play.... full shield. Anything else is just idiotic.

As for vision and all that... come on, if you feel a difference, you are paying to much attention to your equipement and not playing hard enough.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
I played growing up with a full cage then switched over to a 1/2 shield with a bottom cage....if you are just afraid of getting wacked in the mouth go with one of those....ive since switched to a mirror 1/2 sheild...and love it and I still stand in front of the net for deflections and what not....its really what your most comfortable with and will allow you to play your game

92hatchattack

Dec 23, 2005
Jersey
Cappy76 said:
I played growing up with a full cage then switched over to a 1/2 shield with a bottom cage....if you are just afraid of getting wacked in the mouth go with one of those....ive since switched to a mirror 1/2 sheild...and love it and I still stand in front of the net for deflections and what not....its really what your most comfortable with and will allow you to play your game

do they have half sheild half cage combos???? Anyone have a pic???

How is this combo less safe than a full cage? Someone explain please.

Im looking into playing begginer hockey next winter and am practicing now. Id like to play competative as far as blocking shots and whatnot, but i also have a son and a family and am not going pro so id like to keep my face.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
If you're just starting, just go full cage. It's cheaper and won't make that much of a difference in your play.

I actually started with the hybrid cage/shield and switched to a regular cage because of fogging and scratches on the shield. There's basically no difference in protection between the two. It didn't change my game one bit when I switched.

Seth Lake

Jun 28, 2005
Nashville, TN
Until the day comes that I'm paid millions of dollars to play the sport I love...there is no way I'm ever taking off the full cage. It's just not worth it.

I agree though that typically players that play with full cages do play recklessly at times, especially with how high they carry their stick. I've never had an incident myself, but I've seen plenty of reckless plays that resulted in injury.

When I play hockey, it's for my personal enjoyment. I never want to step onto the rink thinking that I might get injured. Obviously the risk is always there, but I'm going to take every step to guard myself against that risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->