Half Season Disadvantage for Flames?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
All in all, I just don't see the Flames doing well this season. I want to make myself think that they will do fine, but they're notorious for slow starts; Iginla and Kipper especially.

I have the Flames in 13th place in the Western Conference.

This has become so over blown its crazy,
11-12 he had 4 points in 10 games. (missed all of camp it is understandable)
10-11 he had 7 points in 10 games solid start.
09-10 he had 8 points in 10 games thats a good start.
08-09 he had 12 points in 10 games thats a great start.

He is slowing down but outside of last year he has had no problem with early in the season. I don't know how this myth came to be but it is so false its not funny.

Gordy Brewer

Mar 26, 2011
I think it will take the flames a few games to catch up with everything, based on the fact that it is a new system and a few new players. But I think that other teams will have the same problems with chemistry as well. I see us either getting our typical 7-8th spot or missing the playoffs entirely.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think with a new coach and 3 new potential top 6 forwards (Cervenka, Baerstchi & Hudler) along with a top 4 defensemen, the Flames could very much suffer from a shortened season. They have a lot of new guys and they're learning new things.

But I'm a firm believer that post Butter Flames hockey will be successful.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Flames would never land the first overall. Ever.

This shortened season will have one of two distinct effects on the Flames.
A) Short season, the age of the team becomes a non-factor, we have no lack-luster games.
B) Flames play like the Celtics from the NBA shortened season, and never really find their groove.

I really hope that if 10-15 games in, if they're doing miserably, Feaster doesn't try and right the ship, but instead does a short rebuild in a half-season.
Vegas isn't giving Calgary a chance, think this is a good time to surprise people.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
It's an advantage. Kipper can probably start every game. Overplayed higher-end players probably won't feel the burn and tail off at the end of the season.

Similar upside for Edmonton when speaking of Ryan Smyth.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Flames would never land the first overall. Ever.

This shortened season will have one of two distinct effects on the Flames.
A) Short season, the age of the team becomes a non-factor, we have no lack-luster games.
B) Flames play like the Celtics from the NBA shortened season, and never really find their groove.

I really hope that if 10-15 games in, if they're doing miserably, Feaster doesn't try and right the ship, but instead does a short rebuild in a half-season.
Vegas isn't giving Calgary a chance, think this is a good time to surprise people.

I agree with both points, but the 2nd point is more or less a non-factor because most of the teams will be suffering from that. There were not a ton players out there who got to play with their teammates during this long off-season, so it's nothing to worry about.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
This has become so over blown its crazy,
11-12 he had 4 points in 10 games. (missed all of camp it is understandable)
10-11 he had 7 points in 10 games solid start.
09-10 he had 8 points in 10 games thats a good start.
08-09 he had 12 points in 10 games thats a great start.

He is slowing down but outside of last year he has had no problem with early in the season. I don't know how this myth came to be but it is so false its not funny.

He has consistently struggled at different times throughout the years - not just the first ten games. Then there are stretches where he becomes the hottest forward in the league. We've seen this almost every year, and it's fair to assume he might struggle.
I'm not saying he's going to struggle to start, but I think we're in alot of trouble if he does.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I think the extra time off will have been good for some of Calgary's vets.

I wish you guys luck this year, I will probably be watching as many Flames games as I can this year.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
It's an advantage. Kipper can probably start every game. Overplayed higher-end players probably won't feel the burn and tail off at the end of the season.

Disagree. While the number of games won't be an issue, their proximity to each other will be for most teams. There will be points in the season where the Flames will play 3 games in 5, sometimes 4 days. I think this might cause an issue for a lot of goalies with so many back to back games.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
He has consistently struggled at different times throughout the years - not just the first ten games. Then there are stretches where he becomes the hottest forward in the league. We've seen this almost every year, and it's fair to assume he might struggle.
I'm not saying he's going to struggle to start, but I think we're in alot of trouble if he does.

I agree he has slow stretches but to stay "notorious for slow starts" for Iginla as Flamesrule did, not only is inaccurate but plain wrong he starts most years off very hot and then last year he struggled and everyone came up with this theory he always starts slow it is false he has been one of hottest starters some years.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Disagree. While the number of games won't be an issue, their proximity to each other will be for most teams. There will be points in the season where the Flames will play 3 games in 5, sometimes 4 days. I think this might cause an issue for a lot of goalies with so many back to back games.

Not just goalies but skaters too it will be important this year to rotate or bottom 6 and and bottom 2 defenseman as well as our goalies to make sure they are fresh it is probably a good thing we have some depth at wing and defense so we can keep players fresh and rested.

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
I agree he has slow stretches but to stay "notorious for slow starts" for Iginla as Flamesrule did, not only is inaccurate but plain wrong he starts most years off very hot and then last year he struggled and everyone came up with this theory he always starts slow it is false he has been one of hottest starters some years.

I'd like to see what his numbers are for the first 20 games for the last 8 or so years. I do know it was usually Dec/Jan that he went on a tear.

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
The half season is not a disadvantage for the Flames, it's going to be an advantage. Either the team comes out of the gate fast and is in contention, or the writing is on the wall and Feaster will be forced to acknowledge the need for change. In a shortened season that will mean player movement. It also likely means the potential for the Flames to get a high pick is that much higher. I expect some of the also-rans who normally finish near the bottom to have a fast start and build a cushion over teams who start slowly. Edmonton will likely come out hot, but fade. With a short season that means they will not fade as far and make it tougher for slow starters to catch them. Of course, with the new lottery system the Flames could finish dead last and Edmonton just miss and the Oilers could still get that first overall pick.

I understand the need for the Oiler rule to prevent sucking for year after year, but why did that rule come in when the Flames are about to head to the bottom of the league?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

No goalie can start 48 games in a row. Not in the modern era.

To keep Kipper at his peak performance, he should be a 38-40 games. Just because he's been overplayed in the past, doesn't mean it should continue just because it's a shortened season.

I think people are overestimating the ability of players in a shortened schedule. The added rest factor of having to play fewer total games is mitigated by a highly condensed schedule plus longer off season for those not playing oversees or any competitive hockey for the last four months.

Expect to see a lot of injuries and some very sloppy play early on.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I'd like to see what his numbers are for the first 20 games for the last 8 or so years. I do know it was usually Dec/Jan that he went on a tear.

I will look into it but as far as I can tell there is not a slow start for his career he is slowing down of course but still no early season slump.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
No goalie can start 48 games in a row. Not in the modern era.

To keep Kipper at his peak performance, he should be a 38-40 games. Just because he's been overplayed in the past, doesn't mean it should continue just because it's a shortened season.

I think people are overestimating the ability of players in a shortened schedule. The added rest factor of having to play fewer total games is mitigated by a highly condensed schedule plus longer off season for those not playing oversees or any competitive hockey for the last four months.

Expect to see a lot of injuries and some very sloppy play early on.

I agree he can't play that many games I would like to see him play 35-38 games as the is equivalent to 60-65 in the regular season and lets him stay fresh this year as every game matters even more.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
The half season is not a disadvantage for the Flames, it's going to be an advantage. Either the team comes out of the gate fast and is in contention, or the writing is on the wall and Feaster will be forced to acknowledge the need for change. In a shortened season that will mean player movement. It also likely means the potential for the Flames to get a high pick is that much higher. I expect some of the also-rans who normally finish near the bottom to have a fast start and build a cushion over teams who start slowly. Edmonton will likely come out hot, but fade. With a short season that means they will not fade as far and make it tougher for slow starters to catch them. Of course, with the new lottery system the Flames could finish dead last and Edmonton just miss and the Oilers could still get that first overall pick.

I understand the need for the Oiler rule to prevent sucking for year after year, but why did that rule come in when the Flames are about to head to the bottom of the league?
What exactly is the Oiler rule?

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
The institution of a complete draft lottery rather than rewarding the bottom feeders for their suckage.
so a team like the Penguins has a chance to win the lottery no matter what. They probably have more balls for certain teams for better odds I'm assuming, but wasn't the league preaching about parity a while ago? :help:

When is the Parade

Grand Marshall
Nov 30, 2008
104th Avenue NW
so a team like the Penguins has a chance to win the lottery no matter what. They probably have more balls for certain teams for better odds I'm assuming, but wasn't the league preaching about parity a while ago? :help:

A lottery for all non-playoff teams. If Pittsburgh misses they do have a chance for that number one, rather than just moving up four places.

Sean Monahan

JIMMIES ARE RUSTLED
Nov 25, 2011
Murrica
A lottery for all non-playoff teams. If Pittsburgh misses they do have a chance for that number one, rather than just moving up four places.
Ahh ok, that makes more sense. Thanks

If you think about it if we do finish 13th or 14th we have a shot at #1 too :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->