Half Season Disadvantage for Flames?

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
If the entire season was locked out we would have the maximum chance at the first overall pick and a high probability of a top five pick. I so hopefully the flames don't play like a bottom five team in the short season if course but essentially we have just lost our greatest chance of Mackinnon without having to rebuild or tank:(

Thoughts?

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
At the end of the day I'll take 50 games of hockey over a top-5 pick, which would by no means was even guaranteed if the season was cancelled.

In fact when I was playing around with that draft order simulation someone designed we were getting placed 7-14 just as often as 1-5. Clicked it 20 times and the Flames never got the 1st pick, only got the 2nd once.

So to actually say that we lost our greatest chance at MacKinnon is a bit of a myth.

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
No its not a disadvantage, I hate what the oilers are doing by tanking every year and would hate to see my team follow their footsteps.

That said, the flames have one of the more veteran teams in the league and a shortened season could probably give us a better chance at the playoffs.

Fatigue is going to be a small issue which will allow us to play kiprusoff as much as we want and I think this break was good on our veterans in recovering from any possible injuries.

So as an early prediction, I think the Flames will make the playoffs (barring any big injuries) which is all i've wanted the past 3 years.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If they start the first two months of this shortened season like they normally do, a top five pick is highly possible.

I guess we will have to wait and see the impact of a new coaching staff.

Bottom line is, if we fall on our faces flat out of the gate, Feaster is going to pull the trigger I think. Should be a very interesting 50 games.

You guys nailed it I think. We don't have time for our usual stumble out the gate, especially from Iggy. If we're not going to make the playoffs I want to see some movement from Feaster one way or another.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I think the Flames are going to have a hard time. New players, new coaches, usually takes some time for everyone to adjust. And forget about MacKinnon, give me some Monahan.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
The trade deadline might be around April 5th, which might be helpful in that you might have a better idea of how close your are to the playoffs (as compared to February). If the Flames refuse to sell (or worse, give up assets for rentals) and miss the playoffs, I will flip my lid. It's not really an advantage or disadvantage though, this is still a bubble team on the wrong side of eight.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I'm not expecting much in terms of success. Iginla's is slow starter, and with an extra four months off, it's definitely going to take him a while to get comfortable. That plus a lot of new faces, new coach, new system means it should take a while for everyone to get on the same page.

The only thing I really want is a clear cut season. If they have a slow start, let them remain that way for the rest of season. No late season surges that make a fool of Feaster for the third time. Same thing if they start well.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
No its not a disadvantage, I hate what the oilers are doing by tanking every year and would hate to see my team follow their footsteps.

That said, the flames have one of the more veteran teams in the league and a shortened season could probably give us a better chance at the playoffs.

Fatigue is going to be a small issue which will allow us to play kiprusoff as much as we want and I think this break was good on our veterans in recovering from any possible injuries.

So as an early prediction, I think the Flames will make the playoffs (barring any big injuries) which is all i've wanted the past 3 years.

But see the beauty of a locked out season is that we don't tank and we still have a good chance at a top 5 pick :)

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Cervenka actually has a blood clot and not an infection. Hopefully its dealt with quickly.

The Flames still are predominantly a vet team and many of our key guys weren't playing any hockey. Iggy AND Tangs are not known for being quick starters, Cammy has had injury trouble and is unproven at center. We definitely have the potential to make some noise, but I think the Flames may be in tough to make the playoffs.

I think the Oilers are gonna get off to a hot start, and I predict the Nucks will start slow also and will be battling for 7-8th spot come playoff time.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Cervenka actually has a blood clot and not an infection. Hopefully its dealt with quickly.

The Flames still are predominantly a vet team and many of our key guys weren't playing any hockey. Iggy AND Tangs are not known for being quick starters, Cammy has had injury trouble and is unproven at center. We definitely have the potential to make some noise, but I think the Flames may be in tough to make the playoffs.

I think the Oilers are gonna get off to a hot start, and I predict the Nucks will start slow also and will be battling for 7-8th spot come playoff time.

I could see it if they can't get a number 2 center for Luo since Kesler is out with no time table to return.

I think we either finish top 5 in the west or bottom 5 in the league, it all depends if we start slow like we have the last few years or if we are in January form that we are usually in when we are one of the top teams but can't make up the ground from our slow start. If Cervenka is injured it could be a huge chance for either Stajan or Backlund to step up and secure a top 6 spot and a place on this roster going forward.

Flamesfan13

Nov 6, 2006
Calgary AB
There's gonna be teams that shouldn't make the playoffs (ie. Oilers) and there are going to be teams that don't make the playoffs that should (ie. Red wings). I think the flames are one of those teams that will hit a big winning streak that will allow us to get in

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
There's gonna be teams that shouldn't make the playoffs (ie. Oilers) and there are going to be teams that don't make the playoffs that should (ie. Red wings). I think the flames are one of those teams that will hit a big winning streak that will allow us to get in

Honestly, and this is just a gut feeling but I feel the opposite, I can see us coming out really flat footed. Heres to hoping I am wrong.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Except you know, none of us actually get to watch the sport we are all involved in this for. Kind of defeats the purpose. I'd rather have no picks than miss a season.

Right, but I mean we've lost 50% of the season and survived, losing the other half won't really be as big of a deal to me anymore.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Right, but I mean we've lost 50% of the season and survived, losing the other half won't really be as big of a deal to me anymore.

Speak for yourself, if we lost a whole season I would feel vastly different about even being involved next year and I think a lot of people feel the same.

Losing a whole year has much larger implications than a half season.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Speak for yourself, if we lost a whole season I would feel vastly different about even being involved next year and I think a lot of people feel the same.

Losing a whole year has much larger implications than a half season.

Maybe I've just become desensitized then lol.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
All in all, I just don't see the Flames doing well this season. I want to make myself think that they will do fine, but they're notorious for slow starts; Iginla and Kipper especially.

I have the Flames in 13th place in the Western Conference.

I Hate Blake Coleman

F*** the oilers
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
The Flames likely won't make it, but a 5 game winning streak somewhere along the way can make that happen.

This shortened season is going to be some of the most intense hockey we as fans have ever seen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad