News Article: Hakan Andersson earned his reputation by finding late round gems for the Red Wings

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
When Hakan comes to mind I think "what have you done for me lately", yet his legacy seems to grow and grow based on past success.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Jeezus you people are impossible to please...

I mean what the hell do you want from a scout.
Man is virtually responsible for building our entire team

seeing 1 page of posts about how Ericson is a success or a mess of a pick....

the fact that he made the NHL at all as a 9th round pick.... that is an NHL regular. thats the success...
I mean what the hell are you guys expecting.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Don’t understand any hate he gets. Even if he doesn’t get datsyuks and just picks nyquists over and over that’s better then most scouts

Reactions: Leronziia
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Jeezus you people are impossible to please...

I mean what the hell do you want from a scout.
Man is virtually responsible for building our entire team

seeing 1 page of posts about how Ericson is a success or a mess of a pick....

the fact that he made the NHL at all as a 9th round pick.... that is an NHL regular. thats the success...
I mean what the hell are you guys expecting.
How about one of his picks panning out in the last 10 years? Because there was a decade after that, and he contributed almost nothing.

• Haha
Reactions: Frk It

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
How about one of his picks panning out in the last 10 years? Because there was a decade after that, and he contributed almost nothing.
Depends on what you mean by panning out. He’s picked several guys in Day 2’s who made the NHL in the last 10 years.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
The Wings have been pretty good at the draft table. Especially in round 2 and beyond.
But until Larkin and Mantha, they were pretty awful in round 1.

And one way or the other, the truth is that team hasn't been able to draft defensemen.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
So some of the usual suspects, not content with banging on about Holland's failings in every second thread are diminishing Hakan Andersson because he's not been able to find any more absolute miracle picks since every person in professional hockey knew of him and his reputation.

What the hell is wrong with you people? The guy's had 1 first round pick in any way connected to him, a player who is currently having a surprisingly OK season despite having played for the team for nearly a decade and a half and only having one leg. Even if we ignore probably the best late round picks in organisational history (and among the best in the NHL) in Dats, Z and Homer, he still has massively overachieved compared to 90% of NHL scouts.

Holmstrom. Zetterberg. Datsyuk. Kronwall. Filppula. Hudler. Franzen. Ericsson. Tatar. Nyquist. Hell even Joakim Andersson was an ok NHL-er on the last good wings team & Ritola got the best part of 2 years in the NHL. Apparently all exclusively his.

Plus traded assets Janmark and Jarnkrok.

Still in the system and playing well enough to have a chance....Axel Holmstrom, Christopher Ehn (who has been signed but is having a terrible season after two decent ones), Filip Larsson (who has gone from a .872 goalie when drafted in the 6th round, was .925 at Swedish u20 the following year and this year is .950 for Tri City storm.

May have had a hand in Hronek as he did in Fleischmann and Marchenko, but can't confirm.

With 1 first round pick, 3 2nd round picks and a whole load of nothing picks. The 'what have you done for me lately' crowd may also want to look and see how since the draft went to 7 rounds he has had about half as many picks to play with as well.

And yet, until very recently it was all about how Jim Nill was the one who got away because he managed to take advantage of Boston being even more stupid with Seguin than they were with Hamilton, despite the fact that his use of first and second round picks was a disaster.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
You have know idea what recommendations Andersson has made during each draft. Holland and company makes the final decisions on who was drafted at each round. Hakan's players may have been off the board by then. He can't hide them. If you remember, he was pretty upset that Detroit waited until the 3rd round to take Lidstrom. He wasn't sure he would be available at that spot.

Yzerman may give more weight to his recommendations.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I think with Larsson he's hit one deep and we're all caught in that moment waiting to see if it clears the fence or not.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
He looks that good?
Filip Larsson has excelled at every level. It remains to be seen how he will fare as a pro, but for a 2016 6th round pick... I think that analogy fits pretty good, yeah. He could be our starting goaltender in the future. If I remember right Hakan's comment at the time was he had some injury problems in his draft season but their goalie coach was excited about him.

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
Unlike in the past, I wouldn't be distraught if he left the org for another opportunity. He was our secret weapon early when Europe wasn't being scouted so heavily and he was our exclusive eyes and ears and in some cases the only person contracted to an NHL team to lay eyes on a player in the past. I mean I'd keep him here as long as he wanted to be here and he's still valuable as a member of the scouting team but it wouldn't be a devastating loss as it would have been when he was uncovering Datsyuk and Zetterberg in the late 1990's or his early 2000's finds.

Has he ever wanted more - ie a NHL GM gig or head scout gig etc where he could be poached? If Holland leaves I could see him trying to take Hakan with him.

Reactions: avssuc

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If it's unpopular, it's only because the team failed to find actual top pairing defensemen, forcing E to play above his ability. Dude would've been a great, and well-liked, middle-pairing/bottom-pairing player, if that's all he'd ever been asked to do. Fantastic pick/development work, all in all.

We did find a top pairing defenceman, but his career ended at 2006.

Jiri Fischer was on the path to be the next Pronger before all ended as 25-year old. He was just entering on his prime. When he would have learned everythin on an environment of Lidström and Rafalski, I bet he would have been a solid 1D. Not Lidström level, but very nice combo with Kronwall. A matchup hell for opposite teams.

Jiri Fischer is only 38-year old nowadays.

We have had some good luck but, also bad luck in our past. Another case is Konstantinov.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
You have know idea what recommendations Andersson has made during each draft. Holland and company makes the final decisions on who was drafted at each round. Hakan's players may have been off the board by then. He can't hide them. If you remember, he was pretty upset that Detroit waited until the 3rd round to take Lidstrom. He wasn't sure he would be available at that spot.

Yzerman may give more weight to his recommendations.

håkan wasn't working for red wings when Lidström was drafted. christer rockström identified lids in sweden, left with neil smith to new york some years later and recommended håkan as his replacement to the wings.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Has he ever wanted more - ie a NHL GM gig or head scout gig etc where he could be poached? If Holland leaves I could see him trying to take Hakan with him.

Seems like he prefers just living in Sweden and doing what he does. Must be a nice life.

Hockeyfannnn91

Jan 26, 2019
I think with Larsson he's hit one deep and we're all caught in that moment waiting to see if it clears the fence or not.
Eliasson is looking good as well,lindstrom, ehn is playing and I don’t know if van pottelberghe will pan out but I think at 21 he should be resigned ,and I don’t know if he’s responsible for kivenmaki but he does have a little upside

Seems outside of Berggren though he’s been having to make his picks in the later rounds

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->