Sportsnet: Habs trying to trade Mark Streit

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
That one is funny , What kind of return is MB actually expecting ??:huh::rolleyes:

It's free to try but he will have nothing. My guess is Streit is on waivers tomorrow and send down to Laval on saturday noon. Schlemko will be reactivated from IR and will play vs Leafs.

Streit will not report with Laval and will return finish his career in Europe.

Reactions: SlyIslands

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Bergevin is such an idiot. Total waste of space signing and everyone but this guy knew it.

If Streit goes out in the next few days, he will have cost $30,108 (more or less) in cap space.... what a total waste of space !

I don't see him playing in the AHL so the contract will be terminated.

Habset

Feb 21, 2008
Montreal
If Streit goes out in the next few days, he will have cost $30,108 (more or less) in cap space.... what a total waste of space !

The team will only get cap relief if the player agrees to the move, not sure if they'll get any cap relief at all if he refuses to report.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
No Streit value

Dang Streit!

In all seriousness, if anyone wanted a bottom pairing guy or depth defenceman they know they can get one from Vegas. They're dying to make a trade for anything. For the same low price of practicallynothing you could get a guy who can still play in the NHL instead of Streit (who can't).

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I feel kind of bad for Streit. Signing him was a very puzzling move to begin with, and actively trying to get rid of him so soon looks bad on management.

On NHL 18, you'd loose a phone for this
Are you kidding? After the whole Subban incident Bergevin's been using carrier pigeons to communicate with other GMs.

Mats88

Sep 12, 2006
All I'm thinking of... :)
Captur1e.JPG

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
If no one claims him off waivers, perhaps they will loan him out to some Swiss team. Be stunned if a guy like Mark Streit reported to the AHL at this point in his career.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City

Please educate yourself before calling out others.

Streit is on an over 35 contract. Habs get zero cap relief from waivers. So yes, almost 1 million in wasted cap space on a signing that everyone knew was garbage.

Edit: Wingsfan4life beat me to it.

Reactions: Habset

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

Streit is on an over 35 contract. Habs get zero cap relief from waivers. So yes, almost 1 million in wasted cap space on a signing that everyone knew was garbage.

You guys have a short memory. Remember Semin ? He went on normal waivers, nobody claimed him. The day after, he went on uncondionnal waivers to terminate his contract (for that you need mutual agreement).

Montreal needs a spot on the 23 men roster on saturday. That's 2 days, why put Streit on normal waivers right now, you think ? To be able to put him on waivers again tomorrow in time to terminate his contract on saturday and reactivate Schlemko.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Cap space isn't a problem it's the veteran contract in Laval (habs are at the limit).

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
He's on a 35+ contract, Habs won't get cap relief in any way outside of a trade.

No he is not.

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#thirtyfive_plus
If a player signs a multi-year contract ...

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
You guys have a short memory. Remember Semin ? He went on normal waivers, nobody claimed him. The day after, he went on uncondionnal waivers to terminate his contract (for that you need mutual agreement).

Montreal needs a spot on the 23 men roster on saturday. That's 2 days, why put Streit on normal waivers right now, you think ? To be able to put him on waivers again tomorrow in time to terminate his contract on saturday and reactivate Schlemko.

Semin wasn't on a 35+ contract. Streit is. When you turn 35, contract flexibility really decreases. That's the difference here. Habs won't get any cap relief unless they can trade the contract, which they won't be able to.

Edit:
No he is not.

https://www.capfriendly.com/faq#thirtyfive_plus
If a player signs a multi-year contract ...

That's an odd stipulation. Nevertheless, I stand corrected. Carry on gents.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad