Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Lukas Vejdemo to a 2-year Entry Level Contract

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by Yoshidas Island, May 2, 2018.

1. sandviper

sandviper No Ragrets

Honestly, a coach can’t turn a C prospect into an A prospect. The player has to have the skill to begin with and the drive.

What the coach has to do is of course guide the player and develop as much as they can. The main thing though is the coach has to not only give the player the opportunity to succeed, but to put them in the position to do so.

There were a lot of articles and reports that Sly didn’t really do that. Considering Bouchard has had success in the Q without having a plethora of franchise, let alone elite talent, it is my hope he’ll be the right person to develop talent.

2. WeThreeKings

WeThreeKings #1 Centre

Nope it was on the radio with Lefebvre. I listened to it and a bunch of other people did too.

Lapointe was on record recently saying that he felt that he was trying too much to create offense at the NHL level so when they sent him down they told him to focus on other things.

3. 417

417 Registered User

Got it...thanks for confirming.

4. Habs100

Habs100 Registered User

With respect to McCarron, if he sees NHL action with us this year, I'd like it to be on the wing. There's a lot of ice to cover when you play center and he's not the swiftest skater. Let him provide some jam on the wing as well as use his vision to try to create plays.

jaffy27 likes this.
  5. 417

417 Registered User

I'd also like to see him given a shot on the 2nd PP unit in front of the net...give him a chance to carve out a niche in the NHL.

Although, I suspect with his balance issues, which are far worse than any speed issues he has IMO, he could struggle standing his ground in the slot.

6. ToLegitToQuit

ToLegitToQuit Loyal Habs Fan

Civil Engineering
    This latest injury is going to set him back a bit. Hope he turns it around when he is back healthy

7. Fozz

Fozz Registered User

Home Page:
    I never mentioned Ds or Goalies. I'm talking about talented forwards. How many legitimate top-6 forwards has Timmins drafted since 2003?

8. Vachon23

Vachon23 Registered User

And I’m 100 % ok with this, McCarron doesn’t have the skills to be an offensive player in the NHL, so he need to be good in the other aspect of the game to be an NHL player.. I would be angry if they asked that to Scherbak or Hudon but not McCarron

9. jaffy27

jaffy27 From Russia wth Pain

Airline Pilot/Business Ow
    Gallagher/Galchenyuk/Pacioretty/

10. Sorinth

Sorinth Registered User

Even bottom-six players need to have a good skill level or they'll be liabilities on the ice. You can't for instance have a 4th liner who can't make a tape to tape pass, because bad passes will result in turn overs and chances against.

If DLR doesn't have a long NHL career it will be because of his puck skills, so he would benefited from developing those skills at the AHL level.

Chris Cutter likes this.
  11. Vachon23

Vachon23 Registered User

That's why I don't think McCarron has a futur in the NHL

12. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

I don't even know if Vejdemo will be at center or LW, but we don't have **** in the way of skilled center prospects. Poehling is a legit one since he just had a heck of a year. I like Evans a lot but it's hard to predict how his game will translate to the NHL. He's got the smarts, he works hard, he's great at face-offs, he's likely a 3rd line center as he's very good in his own end and he's a decent playmaker but the questions are about the physical tools, he's skinny, lacks strength/speed, not the best skater. We'll see how that impacts him.

Vejdemo I've seen a decent amount of, if he could ever learn to put it all together then you got something as he's got the size, skating, speed, but I felt he lacked consistency in a big way and needs to assert himself more physically, learn to use his size better. He's got some skills and he's solid in his own end but if he can't put it all together I don't think he'll amount to much. That said he's coming off a breakout year so hopefully he progresses next year. I had hoped he stay in the SHL for one more year to see how he responded to his breakout year but at least he doesn't have to play for Lefebvre.

13. ToLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    I see Vejdemo as a similar player to DLR. Both skate very well and have good size. But are limited offensively. However, I am very curious to see how Vejdemo turns out. He is coming from a league that knows how to play a responsible game. I can see him adapting well and his skating/size helps.

14. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

DLR has the bigger frame, more strength, better defensive game. Vejdemo has more offense. It's hard to compare them as DLR was more physically mature at a younger age. I saw him in the SHL at 18 and he looked solid on a team that had been regulated to the 2nd league the previous year. He played in that league at 17 and did well from what I read. Vejdemo at 17 was in the J18 mostly and at 18 was in the J20 mostly, but he did produce well at those levels.

In the SHL Vejdemo at 19 put up slightly better numbers (on an average team) then DLR did at 18 (Vej .33 ppg/DLR .27 ppg). But Vejdemo had some injury issues at 17 that impacted his development time and he didn't have the same physical abilities that DLR had at 18. Vejdemo is still on the skinny side, or was last time I saw him some months ago.

15. ToLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    I would agree DLR is the more physical player but I think the output potential is similar. Both 3rd line center role type guys IMO. Do you think Vejdemo (at best if he surprises) has #2C potential?

16. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

well I see DLR as more a 4th liner on a good team, a 3rd liner on a bad team. That said I think he has more offensive upside then he's shown, but we'll have to see if he reaches it or not. When posters were crapping all over him last year, I said not to give up on him that we might have a decent 4th liner on our hands and that had he been handled better he would be thought of more highly. So it's hard to say what DLR is going to be other then with his physical abilities (skating, size, speed, strength) and his defensive play alone, I think he can be a solid 4th liner. The question on him has always been the offense so now we have to wait and see how much that can progress or not.

Vejdemo I'm not sold on at center, he has decent size but lacks strength, he's solid at both ends of the ice but I think he's better in the offensive zone. He's one of those players that shows flashes and you think ok he's got some skills for sure but then you don't notice him again for a week or so. That said I haven't watched him as much over the past 2 years as I did 3 years ago when I saw a good bit of him.

I like Vejdemo, but until he was able to put it all together consistently, I didn't see much upside in him. Now that he's coming off a good year, I need to see how he responds. That's why I had hoped he would spend one more year in the SHL to see how much he could progress. So for me it's hard to say how much NHL upside he has, if his offensive game continues to progress, he might have some decent upside but I would need to see him get stronger, more involved physically (using his frame better) and being more consistent.

17. ToLegitToQuit

Civil Engineering
    I'm interested to watch them both mature.

Heading into last year, I was interested to see maturity from Hudon, McCarron, DLR, Scherbak, Mete, Juulsen, Lindgren and all but one showed glimpse of promise. I got trolled for it. Many of our guys were called busts cause they think the past = the future. Am I saying these guys are grade A prospects to fill holes at the top of our line-up? NO. But their development is encouraging and we were lacking this in previous years. I'm counting on more maturity from them and a new group behind them now... Evans, Vejdemo, Bitten, McNiven, Fleury, Brook, Poehling, Ikonen. Now add what we can get in this next draft and we are heading in the right direction for a change. It's nice to see the tide change even if it's a modest change in a positive direction

18. Habsddicted

Habsddicted Registered User

Vejdemo needs to work on his shot and on shooting more. He's often caught looking around for a pass when there could have been much easier and better plays to do. He's got hands, speed and size but as you said they don't mesh very often.

19. montreal

montreal Go Habs Go

I've been a big Hudon/Scherbak fan since they were drafted, and still think very highly of them. I thought Juulsen/DLR were sure bets to play in the NHL due to their defensive games alone. McCarron I liked a lot but he's clearly regressed so there's a lot of concern there. Lindgren was so impressive in his first year, still think he can be a good NHL backup. Mete I still wonder about his offensive upside but he's clearly going to be an NHLer.

I think much more highly of Timmins and his staff then I have of the development team of Lefebvre, Lapointe, MB as I have raged against them calling up 19/20 year olds too soon, drives me nuts. So for me I expected guys like Scherbak, Juulsen, Hudon, DLR, McCarron to be NHLers to varying degrees but that their development was hampered outside of Hudon who oddly enough they handled really well.

Now we are in a different environment for development at least at the AHL level so it's going to be very interesting how the next wave does. Evans, Bitten, Vejdemo, Fleury, it's going to be very interesting to see how they do. McNiven I like a good bit but think they should have handled him differently, so hopefully he can have a much better year.

Poehling, Brook were both so impressive for me, can't wait to see what they do going forward, big fan of both.

He's shown he can score as he put up 23g in 34 games in the J20 at his age 18 season. But he's had a strange go of it in the SHL. In 103 games he had just 9 goals then this year in 47 games he gets 10 goals. Now he didn't get a lot of ice the previous year when he put up only 8 pts in 48 games and this year his team was clearly much stronger but still hard to say what he is since his numbers took such a dive and then he bounces back the next year and puts up almost as many pts as he had in his career coming into the season (22 vs 25 career pts)

For me I thought he needed one more year that had he shown a decent among of progress, then I would have tabbed him as a possible top 10 prospect for us or at least close to it. But I had my doubts that he could put it all together, maybe playing with Bouchard will help him figure it out.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  20. Fozz

Fozz Registered User

Home Page:
    3 top-6 fowards in 15 years? WoW!
    This is the first year that Gallagher shows he has top-6 talent. Strangly enough, he played mostly on the 3rd line on a bad offensive team last year.

Kaperi Spacey and CapSpace like this.
  21. jaffy27

jaffy27 From Russia wth Pain

Airline Pilot/Business Ow
    I was just responding to the question, that’s all

Redux91 likes this.
  22. monkza

monkza Registered User

why 99percent of the times are trash or 4th liners , impossible for this org to draft a super talent like every team

Kaperi Spacey and CapSpace like this.
  23. CapSpace

CapSpace Registered User

Cause, you know. Caracter and all.