Confirmed with Link: Habs Sign Jake Evans 2 year contract

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Congratulations Jake Evans, remind your father we are all Celts, Fleur de Lis was a prominent sign of the Celts. Lots of Irish in Montreal as with all people truly multi- cultural city & City of Champions. Ask Chris "Knuckles" Nilan he'll vouch for all of that!!!...:devdance::devdance::devdance:

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Not sure why people keep bringing up that his future is limited because he was a 7th round pick.
If Timmins would of drafted him a few rounds earlier, would of that made any difference.
With that kind of thinking I’m guessing there had never been a decent NHLer than has gone undrafted.

Martin St. Louis :shakehead

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Not sure why people keep bringing up that his future is limited because he was a 7th round pick.
If Timmins would of drafted him a few rounds earlier, would of that made any difference.
With that kind of thinking I’m guessing there had never been a decent NHLer than has gone undrafted.

it has more to do with people here having very little knowledge with regards to talent evaluation and I obviously include myself in the mix

add a dash of cynicism and some bad drafts and voila you get "every habs prospect is shit" as a motto

Reactions: dralaf

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Makes zero zero sense
In his draft year he didn’t even put up Great stats in in the Ontario junior league so that’s why he was a 7th round pick
And yes NHL draft history is against him. That’s not saying he won’t be an NHL player but vary rarely do 7th round picks become long time NHL regulars.
They’re few and far between. Check the last 10 years how many NHL regulars were drafted in the 7th

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Here's Jake's cap hit. If he plays in Montreal, he takes up 925K of the cap, unless he remains and reaches performance bonuses, then he would count for 1.35M.

evans.png

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Best news! When you snipe a guy like him in the 7th it would be killer if he used the loop hole. Glad to see some loyalty from him. I was worried he was a goner.

If you read or heard any of his interviews on the subject, you wouldn't have been worried. Not once did he hint that he was going to test free agency. He never flat out said it, but he was pretty much indicating that he was going to sign. He was saying how it matters to him that Montreal took a flyer on him and drafted him. He was also saying how he had a great relationship with certain people in the organization (I'm thinking Martin Lapointe here). And he said that Habs were always following up on him since they drafted him. I don't recall hearing Vesey, Butcher, and Kerfoot saying that. But I do admit, I wasn't following up on those guys before they opted to hit free agency. So I don't know what they were saying throughout the year as I do know what Evans was saying. However, there were rumblings by now that they were not going to sign with the teams that drafted them. Evans was pretty much the opposite.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He had a terrific NCAA career where he grew into the leader of a high caliber team. I hope he continues to develop

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia

Reminds me of when Dallas traded Dylan Ferguson to Vegas for Marc Methot and everyone said Ferguson was trash because he's a 7th round pick despite the fact he's one of the WHL's top goaltenders.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Interesting that he played hurt to end the year... could explain the dropoff in production over his second half... and would also show great hockey character...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That's a very fat contract for an overage College player drafted in a 7th round.

Forget the 7th Round. It doesn't matter anymore where he got selected. It's where he is when the contract is signed. He was among the best players in the NCAA. And this kind of contract is standard, particularly when you want to ensure the player signs with you.

Devils signed Butcher, Avs signed Kerfoot, and Vesey with Rangers is the same thing. They're signed to the same cap hit. But with bonuses, they get more. In fact both Vesey and Butcher with performance bonuses would count for more than 3M.

And I understand those guys were signed as free agents. But if Habs wanted to ensure Evans signs instead of letting his rights expire and he signs a similar deal elsewhere, you sign him to that deal yourself.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->