Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Promote Juulsen, Learnout, Scherbak, Lindgren 2018-2019

*Leuhornt

Leuhornt!!!

Beaulieu Subban
Emelin ??
Tinordi Leuhornt

Ladies and gentlemen, your starting lineup for tonights game...

#4... BRETT LEUHORNT!!!

m2QQb6M.jpg

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
That's pretty much what I'm expecting from him. 20-30 point player, 40-50 points during his peak.[/QUOT
Wow!! You’re expectations are extremely , extremely high. I mean extremely high.
Since 2010 there’s been one player picked in the 7th round who has consistently put up points, Palat. That’s it.
50 pts is a second line centre.
More tban likely Evans is a career AHL players.
50 pts is insane. Even 40 is insane for a late pick
Draft history doesn’t lie

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One switched letter away from a POT/ATO!

If Sly is still in Laval next year that should be the team motto: POTATO! Because it doesn't make any damn sense.

Had the same reaction. We should just rebaptize it POT/ATO.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Kerfoot had 46 pts in 35 games last year as a 22 year old playing for Harvard. He signed with colorado last summer and had 19 goals and 45 pts this year in the nhl. No one saw that coming.

Jake Evans got 46 pts in 40 games as a 21 year old.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Kerfoot had 46 pts in 35 games last year as a 22 year old playing for Harvard. He signed with colorado last summer and had 19 goals and 45 pts this year in the nhl. No one saw that coming.

Wasn’t a 7th round pick. 5th round picks have actually had some great production. Gallagher comes to mind
7th rounder rarely become regulars let alone 50 pt guys

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
Wasn’t a 7th round pick. 5th round picks have actually had some great production. Gallagher comes to mind
I can guarantee you with absolute certainty that Evans would not go even remotely close to the 7th round in a re-draft. He'd likely go in the 2nd round. Joe Pavelski was a 7th round pick. Where a player got drafted means nothing now.

Evans will likely start next season in Laval but it's not unrealistic to expect him to play in the the NHL within the upcoming seasons.

Reactions: dralaf

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017

Ya this is a good comp in my opinion, one that I'm hoping comes to fruition. Evans has the skills to make it, depends on how he adapts, and recent history shows players coming from the NCAA adapting quickly.

AcadiaAxeMan

Mar 10, 2002
Grande Prairie, AB
Visit site
I will learn to spell Lernout, so I can go out for recess
I will Lern to spell Learnout, so I can go out for recess (awe fudge)

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

I agree that 7th rounders rarely become regulars. But I think the % of 7th rounders who end up signing NHL ELC deals end up regulars at decent enough rate compared to 6th/5th rounders.

How many 7th rounders have the Habs even signed?

2017: Cayden Primeau (arguably one of the Habs best prospects, probably will get ELC)
2016: Arvid Henrikson (likely going to be let go)
2015: Jeremiah Addison (ELC, decent end to juniors, might be 4th liner)
2014: Jake Evans (ELC)
2011: Colin Sullican (no contract)
2010: John Westin (no contract)
2009: Mike Cichy (no contract), Petteri Simila (no contract)
2008: Patrick Johnson (no contract)
2007: Scott Kishel (no contract)
2006: Cameron Cepek (no contract)
2005: Philippe Paquet (no contract), Sergei Kostitsyn (ELC, decent NHL stint)

Habs alone only signed Kostitsyn, Evans, and Addison since the they made 7th rounders the last pick in the draft.

Last edited:

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
I agree that 7th rounders rarely become regulars. But I think the % of 7th rounders who end up signing NHL ELC deals end up regulars at decent enough rate compared to 6th/5th rounders.

How many 7th rounders have the Habs even signed?

2017: Cayden Primeau (arguably one of the Habs best prospects, probably will get ELC)
2016: Arvid Henrikson (likely going to be let go)
2015: Jeremiah Addison (ELC, decent end to juniors, might be 4th liner)
2014: Jake Evans (ELC)
2011: Colin Sullican (no contract)
2010: John Westin (no contract)
2009: Mike Cichy (no contract), Petteri Simila (no contract)
2008: Patrick Johnson (no contract)
2007: Scott Kishel (no contract)
2006: Cameron Cepek (no contract)
2005: Philippe Paquet (no contract), Sergei Kostitsyn (ELC, decent NHL stint)

Habs alone only signed Kostitsyn, Evans, and Addison since the they made 7th rounders the last pick in the draft.

I hope Evans can fill the 2nd line C spot down the road. Would be amazing. The chances are though he will just be an AHL regular. Hope I’m wrong
Like I said I’m just going with the history of the NHL draft. Very rarely does a7th round pick get 40-50 pts a year like a poster suggests will be his peak.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I hope Evans can fill the 2nd line C spot down the road. Would be amazing. The chances are though he will just be an AHL regular. Hope I’m wrong
Like I said I’m just going with the history of the NHL draft. Very rarely does a7th round pick get 40-50 pts a year like a poster suggests will be his peak.

Don't get me wrong, I agree it is longshot. My disagreement is the way you reached that conclusion.

Don't think it's fair to suggest that just because he's a 7th rounder, he has less of a chance than say a 5th rounder to reaching a certain upside. My thoughts are, how many 7th rounders who sign ELC end up NHLers?

A 7th rounder signing an ELC is very low. He already beat those odds. Now the historical comparison would be with other 7th rounders who signed ELC. There have been regulars to come out of pretty much every 7th round (from 2010-2015: Frederik Andersen, Ondrej Palat, Ryan Dzingel, Christian Djoos, Joakim Ryan, MacKenzie Weegar, Ondrej Kase, Markus Nutivaara).

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
My dog and I feel like Evans & Notre Dame got robbed in the Final, some pretty questionable calls, in favor of Minnesota/Duluth. Evans is a non- stop player like Gallagher, good center with talent and desire, hard to come by especially in the 7th round. Timmins stole him IMHO!!!...:devdance::devdance::devdance:

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Ya this is a good comp in my opinion, one that I'm hoping comes to fruition. Evans has the skills to make it, depends on how he adapts, and recent history shows players coming from the NCAA adapting quickly.

For sure, anything is possible. What's great though, is that he has kept improving every year and now that he has completed his NCAA career, he can still improve before hitting the NHL if he doesn't make the team. No rush unless he kills it at camp, he can use some playing time in Laval.

Reactions: montreal

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
My dog and I feel like Evans & Notre Dame got robbed in the Final, some pretty questionable calls, in favor of Minnesota/Duluth. Evans is a non- stop player like Gallagher, good center with talent and desire, hard to come by especially in the 7th round. Timmins stole him IMHO!!!...:devdance::devdance::devdance:

Definitely some good picking with 7th rounder's in the past few years with Evans, Addison and Primeau

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Don't get me wrong, I agree it is longshot. My disagreement is the way you reached that conclusion.

Don't think it's fair to suggest that just because he's a 7th rounder, he has less of a chance than say a 5th rounder to reaching a certain upside. My thoughts are, how many 7th rounders who sign ELC end up NHLers?

A 7th rounder signing an ELC is very low. He already beat those odds. Now the historical comparison would be with other 7th rounders who signed ELC. There have been regulars to come out of pretty much every 7th round (from 2010-2015: Frederik Andersen, Ondrej Palat, Ryan Dzingel, Christian Djoos, Joakim Ryan, MacKenzie Weegar, Ondrej Kase, Markus Nutivaara).
I get tbay 7th rounders make the nhl but to expect Evans to be a 50pt player is a bit off. Very few 7th rounders produce like that
Those are #2 C stats. To put it in context the Habs only Had 2 players hit 50 pts this year

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I get tbay 7th rounders make the nhl but to expect Evans to be a 50pt player is a bit off. Very few 7th rounders produce like that
Those are #2 C stats. To put it in context the Habs only Habs 2 players hit 50 pts this year

Not sure anyone EXPECTs him to be 50pt player. Heck, don't think a lot of people even expect Poehling to be a 50pt player. If that's the argument you are up against, I agree. That's a very unreasonable expectation to hold Evans to.

However, not sure it's unfair to suggest Evans might be able to reach 50pt one day if he plays to his upside. Historically the only Habs 7th rounder that was signed prior to Addison/Evans was Sergei Kostitsyn and he reached 50pts.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'll be happy if he's better than Lehkonen or similar to Hudon.

I doubt he will be better then either, less skilled then both imo. He's a playmaker, so he'll need to be with someone that can snipe.

For sure, anything is possible. What's great though, is that he has kept improving every year and now that he has completed his NCAA career, he can still improve before hitting the NHL if he doesn't make the team. No rush unless he kills it at camp, he can use some playing time in Laval.

That's the good part for Evans, he has gotten better every year, although now we have to wonder if he has peaked or not. If he doesn't get stronger, quicker, maybe he ends up just an AHLer but as long as he continues to progress I think he can be an NHLer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad