Speculation: Habs Sellout streak is fake

Vern

Dec 9, 2013
It's a conspiracy between the team and the scalpers, always has been. to get good access to the good seats they make money on they have to scoop up all the nosebleeds as well. Even three four years ago you could easily gets greys at or below cost just after start of 1st period on most nights. Right now i have to think the team is adding extra incentives to keep them out hustling.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Either win, or play an exciting offensive style; something like in 07-08.This was the last time hockey was fun in Montreal for an entire year,and that was just an oasis in the long desert that started in the early 90s.

If you are going to suck, I don't want to watch Therrien or Julien style hockey.Find some Kovalev-like players, and play an obscenely offensive style of hockey.If you keep losing, GREAT! That means top draft picks.

I never ever missed a hockey game back in the days.In the last few years I gradually stopped watching.This year I watched maybe 2 games (and it wasn't my choice, I was at my friend's), I'm completely disinterested.I doubt I'd even go watch them for FREE.It's obvious we can't ever be contender unless we blow up the team.I feel the organization is incompetent, and is taking me for an idiot.I don't like that.I WOULD do a better job as a GM than any GM since Savard.I'm very shameless in that opinion.Unless the GMs are completely constrained, but in that case why take the job?

The lack of long-term vision is really brutal.Amateur hour, but for two decades.And I'm not like the people in here who are still following every game and are genuinely mad.I really just... don't care, except in a vague spiritual way since the habs represent an important part of the history of the Province of Quebec and of French-Canadiens, which are my roots, and I'd like it if we could be proud of them again, if the team could be setting an example for people in Quebec that you can win, that you can excel and succeed.Something to be proud of.Excellence.Like it used to be.Not anymore.A mediocre fast-food type of organization, interested in squeezing short-term profits so the owners can play some high-level capitalistic game nobody else has any say in.

Maybe that's cynical, but if it is, then let a GM blow up the team and endure the few years where the team sucks.Have some vision.

Then when the team returns to its former glory, people will pay 300$ for a ticket, and it won't be moral robbery anymore.

Last edited:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Ticket are sold the question is much actually bought by fan and how many were bought to resell or to give away. I would not pay to see this team, I probably wouldn't even go if I received tickets for free...

Reactions: Pickles

PepsiMayWest

Nov 7, 2007
Montreal/Ottawa
I haven't paid for a single NHL product since the second lockout. Never bought a concession, merchandise, or ticket. If they are given to me I will take them but I have to imagine there are quite a few people like myself you who just said "no more" to giving hard earned dollars to this league. I'd rather pay to see a concert or another sporting event that is actually enjoyable.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
I haven't paid for a single NHL product since the second lockout. Never bought a concession, merchandise, or ticket. If they are given to me I will take them but I have to imagine there are quite a few people like myself you who just said "no more" to giving hard earned dollars to this league. I'd rather pay to see a concert or another sporting event that is actually enjoyable.

Yep, Hockey games is expensive and you are not guaranteed of the show. Other events are more consistent in term of quality of the show, cheaper and more enjoyable.

Translation, please...thx

- Single places are not counted (common practice)

- Each suite , there is 12 places (included in the 21302), but you can buy 6 to 8 extra tickets (136 suites * 7 (average 6-8) = 950 extra tickets)
This extra does not count in the capacity (21 302) but are added to the total tickets sold.

So if you sell 21 000 tickets (missing 302), but you manage to sell 500 extra tickets in the suites.
They can declare full capacity (21 302)

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
wonder if the team buys up the unused seats to claim a sell out.

I also know some use the trick of counting staff/players etc to inflate attendance. WWE counts all its staff/performers/back stage/ring crew etc in their numbers.

So maybe the habs count the players/crew/medical staff/water boys etc when they talk about attendance.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Thx for the translation guys, it all seems a little off now, we know that this team is not selling out, even though there alot of tix pad for, they are empty...those are still lost sales on dogs and beer etc
The Habs still generate a ton of $$$ each game, but Molson and his finance crew know, business has slipped with this current team...and of course, it's all on MB!!

PepsiMayWest

Nov 7, 2007
Montreal/Ottawa
You needn't look any further than the Canadiens' own website for concrete proof that they aren't selling out. Take a look at ticket availabilities for tonight's "optimum" game

Single ticket availabilities:
upload_2017-11-29_16-39-12.png

And even if you do what the Habs do and ignore available singles, here are available pairs:
upload_2017-11-29_16-40-41.png

Heck, there are even some groups of FOUR still available:
upload_2017-11-29_16-41-16.png

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
There were at least 2k empty seats vs Oilers on Saturday

One thing I've noticed in the very few Habs games I've seen on TV this season is the camera rarely pans very high into the crowd so you don't really notice many empty seats. Maybe if more and more fans stop going to games Molson will finally get the message that Hab fans aren't happy with the Habs team or the direction the current management is taking the team right now. One can hope anyway.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One thing I've noticed in the very few Habs games I've seen on TV this season is the camera rarely pans very high into the crowd so you don't really notice many empty seats. Maybe if more and more fans stop going to games Molson will finally get the message that Hab fans aren't happy with the Habs team or the direction the current management is taking the team right now. One can hope anyway.

You're right. I don't recall so many low angle camera shots as this year. It's under the directive of the same Hab KGB operatives that badger journalists who ask sensitive questions at pressers.

Reactions: Pickles and sheed36

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I haven't read the entire thread, and I am not a fan of Molson or anything but my question is this.. why does anyone care if an organization lies to hide the truth about how many seats are sold ? The first time I became cognizant of this fact was when the avalanches did it after all of their stars had left. I didn't care then, still do not care now. Why is it a big deal ?

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007
Ticket are sold the question is much actually bought by fan and how many were bought to resell or to give away. I would not pay to see this team, I probably wouldn't even go if I received tickets for free...

Since some people are reselling their tickets under cost price, they are actually paying to not see this team! When your fans are ready to lose money to not go to the games, it tells you how bad the situation has become.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Just in case the fake ticket sales aren't telling the story, a Journal article posits that the Habs's coverage has recoiled to 2012 levels, when the team was also in shambles:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Journalists have been snapping pics of all the empty seats at the BC, at different moments during games, so as to show that Molson's claim about BC attendance is patently false:

Lots of empties, even near the end of the first period. Definitely not a laggard situation:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Lay of the land, just before the start of the game with Jersey.

DRDE6cLV4AETUz4.jpg:large

Reactions: Pickles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->