Speculation: Habs Sellout streak is fake

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Pure Molson lies. I don't believe it for a second.

The Molson sellout lie is done to justify the expensive ticket prices, and to hype fans into believing that getting tickets is a hot privledge.

If they report non sellout than perception will change and people will demand lower prices and there will be less excitement to attend games.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
It's tough to say because you never know how many tickets scalpers are buying but then unable to re-sell. So there can be empty seats with it still being a sellout. For example Saturday's game, 30min till puck drop I still saw scalpers with a bunch of unsold tickets.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
It's tough to say because you never know how many tickets scalpers are buying but then unable to re-sell. So there can be empty seats with it still being a sellout. For example Saturday's game, 30min till puck drop I still saw scalpers with a bunch of unsold tickets.

This. People just dont realize that some seats are purchased but not used.

Scalpers are a big cause. Also, season ticket holders dont always use every game. I for one, have missed some of the games of my season tickets. Happens at least once a year, with last minute emergencies.

Soldout means the seats are sold.

Apr 1, 2006
Montreal
Seems it hasn't been soldout for quite some time. Ray Lalonde:

Vente de billets: la séquence du Canadien remise en doute | Guillaume Lefrançois | Hockey

"L'ancien vice-président et chef de la direction marketing et ventes du Tricolore a affirmé hier, sur les ondes du 98,5 FM, que la séquence de 541 salles combles au Centre Bell que le Canadien annonce est en fait terminée depuis au moins deux ans. «C'est faux. Ça fait plusieurs années déjà. On n'a qu'à se rappeler la saison où Carey Price a été blessé et que ça s'est terminé en queue de poisson. Les sièges vides étaient par milliers. Ce n'étaient pas juste des gens qui ne s'étaient pas présentés au match. Des centaines non vendus», a affirmé M. Lalonde."

Lalonde says the 541 sellouts the Habs say they had have been over for at least 2 years. It hasn't been sold out for many years. As one example, the year Price got injured there were thousands of empty seats and those were not just people who didn't show up, hundreds had not been sold.

edit: of course Lalonde could have a bone to pick with the team, but we can all see the empty seats on tv. It's more than just the losses and bad record, the team looks like it's trying to find ways to render everything completely boring, mind numbing and bland. If you have seasons tickets or get them as a gift I can understand, but I don't get how people actually want to go the 'Boring Center'.

I still know what's going on from HF and a few writers I like, but honestly I couldn't care less about that team right now. I've been around hockey all my life, played for many years, my father also coached for a long time, we're a family of Habs hardcore fans, but we almost never talk about it anymore. Still a fan, but a very dispointed and bored one.

Last edited:

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
I understand that some seats go unused by season ticket holders. But I have a hard time believing that every last seat in the building has been sold out

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Empty seats do not mean they're not sold. I've been to many a game in the ACC where the season ticket sections and boxes sparsely populated. I remember one game when I was in the platinum sections and there was maybe 30 people around me. Most season ticket holders are corporations and it's hard to find people to go to games when the team sucks.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Any talk of a streak should end...I think it ended when Martin and Gauthier was here ......

Not sure i can post (allowed)the link to this website ,but here is the quote they are reporting apparently this was said by Molson a few days ago....there having trouble selling seats in 2017-18 season...a few hundred are empty-unsold says Molson....

As a matter of fact, Habs owner Geoff Molson admitted last night that the organization is struggling to sell tickets. In an interview with Jeremy Filosa, who works for Quebec-based 98,5 FM, he mentioned the Bell Center isn't even sold out anymore.
Here's what he had to say:
"There may be a few hundred seats we aren't able to sell, but we still feel like the fans are invested and our attendance statistics are still great. Therefore, we aren't worried about that."

Last edited:

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Seems it hasn't been soldout for quite some time. Ray Lalonde:

Vente de billets: la séquence du Canadien remise en doute | Guillaume Lefrançois | Hockey

"L'ancien vice-président et chef de la direction marketing et ventes du Tricolore a affirmé hier, sur les ondes du 98,5 FM, que la séquence de 541 salles combles au Centre Bell que le Canadien annonce est en fait terminée depuis au moins deux ans. «C'est faux. Ça fait plusieurs années déjà. On n'a qu'à se rappeler la saison où Carey Price a été blessé et que ça s'est terminé en queue de poisson. Les sièges vides étaient par milliers. Ce n'étaient pas juste des gens qui ne s'étaient pas présentés au match. Des centaines non vendus», a affirmé M. Lalonde."

Lalonde says the 541 sellouts the Habs say they had have been over for at least 2 years. It hasn't been sold out for many years. As one example, the year Price got injured there were thousands of empty seats and those were not just people who didn't show up, hundreds had not been sold.

edit: of course Lalonde could have a bone to pick with the team, but we can all see the empty seats on tv. It's more than just the losses and bad record, the team looks like it's trying to find ways to render everything completely boring, mind numbing and bland. If you have seasons tickets or get them as a gift I can understand, but I don't get how people actually want to go the 'Boring Center'.

I still know what's going on from HF and a few writers I like, but honestly I couldn't care less about that team right now. I've been around hockey all my life, played for many years, my father also coached for a long time, we're a family of Habs hardcore fans, but we almost never talk about it anymore. Still a fan, but a very dispointed and bored one.
After many years I chose not to pick up my season tickets this year (I actually had half with my business partner having no the other half). The motives , to be honest are simple , I was getting bored at the games. The tipping point for me, I got the chance to go to a few raptors games , during their succefull playoff runs 2 years ago and last year during the season, and after experiencing that, I became convinced I am getting ripped off giving my money to the Habs team. A team I always loved.
Now instead of spending the money on a couple of great reds seats for half a season, I will use the same budget to go to other sports.
Next desitination is pats vs bill in December.... also planning a playoff game .
So all I say to my Habs, get on with the reality of 2017 , sports have to be fun, teams have to have life and personality to them. Our used to have such players, pk was one, radulov was another. But management want a bland brand. To be that is boring and not worth spending money on it.
Sorry for the ramble.... but I still feel sad from the state of the team, though relieved I don’t have to go to the games

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Well today I learned they consider unsold singles as a sellout. A little deceptive way of claiming full house for sure.

I believe that is the league standard and may be widespread across other teams and leagues.

MisterNoItAll

Oct 21, 2017
There’s many empty seats in the reds. It’s noticeable each home game, while watching on TV. So it’s possible.

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Pretty much everything is fake when it come to Habs under this regime. The propaganda mashine is there to make sure fans keep drinking the kool-aid and keep paying premium price for dollarama quality product on ice and in the beer glass.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Pure Molson lies. I don't believe it for a second.

The Molson sellout lie is done to justify the expensive ticket prices, and to hype fans into believing that getting tickets is a hot privledge.

If they report non sellout than perception will change and people will demand lower prices and there will be less excitement to attend games.
Seats seemed filled....I imagine it is the scalpers who are taking a beating.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Any talk of a streak should end...I think it ended when Martin and Gauthier was here ......

Not sure i can post (allowed)the link to this website ,but here is the quote they are reporting apparently this was said by Molson a few days ago....there having trouble selling seats in 2017-18 season...a few hundred are empty-unsold says Molson....

Montreal Canadiens owner makes disturbing comments about state of the organization

Confused by the OP. Molson lies? I don't agree with his comments but he admits games are not sold out.

The Habs through the years have had players with charisma and flair. P.K. and Radulov both had it - just fun players to watch. There isn't a player on the Habs roster that comes close although winning itself can cure lacking attendance figures. This team has nothing.

Reactions: True Tick and Tin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad