Confirmed Signing with Link: Habs re-sign Charlie Lindgren (3years/$750k AAV/1-way)

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
This is a contract, that while it won’t hurt the Habs in anyway, is kinda unnecessary.

This is a 24 year old goalie who has underwhelming stats at the AHL level this year, and only has 11 NHL appearances, and you’re giving him a 3 year, one way deal?

His NHL numbers are fairly solid, but that’s a considerably small sample size.

Again, won’t hurt the Habs, but signing a backup/third string goalie to a 3 year NHL salary contract with just 11 NHL games and mediocre AHL numbers just seems needless.

(Plz don’t be mad at me Hab fans)

He’s an awesome goaltender and one of a few good players on a terrible AHL team. He’s been money in the NHL in his few games. Unfair to just look at his AHL stats this season.

Yoshidas Island

TY for the memories Yosh :'(
Jan 2, 2015
This is a contract, that while it won’t hurt the Habs in anyway, is kinda unnecessary.

This is a 24 year old goalie who has underwhelming stats at the AHL level this year, and only has 11 NHL appearances, and you’re giving him a 3 year, one way deal?

Again, won’t hurt the Habs, but signing a backup/third string goalie to a 3 year NHL salary contract with just 11 NHL games and mediocre AHL numbers just seems needless.

From a purely statistical point of view, you're 100% correct.
But with context, you'd see that Lindgren is consistently put behind terrible defenses in the AHL. He's stood on his head many times in the AHL, and has impressed at the NHL level.
Again, it won't hurt the Habs if he flops, but if he's the backup for next year (like we think he is), then having him locked up for 3 years is a great asset management move. 750K for a 100% capable backup is rare, so it's worth the gamble for us.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

See I see it as the opposite.

He can be the backup. And if he keeps playing well, he is cheap as hell for a long time. If he doesn't, and you want to move on to someone else, you can still waive him and his whole salary is gone off the cap. You just have to pay him. Who cares.

Low risk...medium-high reward.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
Trading Niemi to Philly with Elliott out 5-6 weeks?

Trading Niemi?....Lol, good one

what can you get for a guy who has been picked up by 3 teams for free?

I think Habs will start playing Lindgren, this will be his audition or tryout for next year, if he passes the test Price will be traded

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
From a purely statistical point of view, you're 100% correct.
But with context, you'd see that Lindgren is consistently put behind terrible defenses in the AHL. He's stood on his head many times in the AHL, and has impressed at the NHL level.
Again, it won't hurt the Habs if he flops, but if he's the backup for next year (like we think he is), then having him locked up for 3 years is a great asset management move. 750K for a 100% capable backup is rare, so it's worth the gamble for us.

I see this signing has being no difference than signing a prospect to a ELC and him eventually ending up busting. If Lindgren doesn't work out just waive him and send him and his entire $750k salary to the AHL and move on. Not much risk involved with this signing IMO. If it works out then great. If not nothing lost.

Reactions: Tripod

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
See I see it as the opposite.

He can be the backup. And if he keeps playing well, he is cheap as hell for a long time. If he doesn't, and you want to move on to someone else, you can still waive him and his whole salary is gone off the cap. You just have to pay him. Who cares.

Low risk...medium-high reward.

That’s fair.

My “gripe” is mainly just semantics. More of a worry for a team like Arizona, than a team like Montreal I suppose

hersky77

Oct 29, 2007
He’s a much better nhl goalie then ahl goalie.

He should have been the back up this year, but for some odd reason they thought a duo of Montoya and Niemi would be better.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
People over analyzing this. Niemi isn’t signed beyond this year. It was clear when they moved Montoya that Lindgren would be the back-up in Montreal next season.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
He has been great lately. He diserves to be NHLer and McNiven diserves the net in AHL... and Hawkey diserves to be a AHL backup. This is pure logic

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Have you seen him play ?

You would sing a different tune.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Trading Niemi?....Lol, good one

what can you get for a guy who has been picked up by 3 teams for free?

I think Habs will start playing Lindgren, this will be his audition or tryout for next year, if he passes the test Price will be traded
All i can say about any of this one's posts is:facepalm:

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Low risk, high reward contract. If he's able to be backup over Niemi next year, it's an absolute steal. If he doesn't pan out, then it's 750k in the minors, not the end of the world

cafelatte

Jan 11, 2014
He’s an awesome goaltender and one of a few good players on a terrible AHL team. He’s been money in the NHL in his few games. Unfair to just look at his AHL stats this season.

So much agree with you ... bunch of people posting here who rely on stats alone and never saw him play in the AHL and in the NHL He is a late bloomer and a solid goalie in the making.

VeeMerk

Jan 16, 2018

Fair assessment. Although looking at AHL stats doesn;t paint a good picture (especially the Rockets, who were absolutely sh*t), I think most of us expected him to be the backup next year. He's played well and will train with Price and the goalie staff. He is most likely not a Price replacement but perhaps he'll gain value if he plays well in the opportunistes he's given. Contract is so cheap that it doesn't even matter anyways

HABSFTW

Jun 19, 2007
Thunder Bay
He played well in the NHL all things considered. Low cap hit for 3 years as well. If he doesn't pan out we toss him down and if he gets picked up on waivers, so be it. I coin this as a 'harmless' signing.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Low risk, high reward contract. If he's able to be backup over Niemi next year, it's an absolute steal. If he doesn't pan out, then it's 750k in the minors, not the end of the world

I don't think Niemi will be around next year. He's just a stop gap to give Lindgren some time in the A this year. This move is in line with what Bergevin has been doing all year with our goalies, Lindgren is the backup solution going forward. Whether or not he pans out is another thing but he's with a 100% confidence going to get a deep look in the full time backup role next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad