Habs paid $300000 to Russian league for Kostitsyn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aarex

Feb 29, 2004
Regina, Saskatchewan
Since when is 300k alot to bring a player from the RSL to NA?

Before the Deal we had with IIHF expired I believe it cost clubs 250k to bring a player over...I could very well be mistaken as i'm mostly talking out of my ass.

but when They want 3 million for Ovechkin, thats another story.

Oh and prior to the CHL NHL agreement expired the CHL teams were getting 200k for first rounders (Thanks Dan)

So, I fail to see how spending 300k to bring a player from europe to NA is considered alot of money for a first round draft pick. (Montreal(Dan) reported that the RSL originally asked for 2 million for Kostsitsyn)

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
300k is a lot for a guy that wasn't even a regular in CSKA's lineup.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Jacobv2 said:
300k is a lot for a guy that wasn't even a regular in CSKA's lineup.
you still have to pay up to 200k$ to bring late 1sr round CHLer ..
and 150k$ under the IIHF agreement for euro 1sr rounder... now the RSL IMO would want at least 300k$ for each 1st rounder watch out ! :teach:

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Kryoptix said:
you still have to pay up to 200k$ to bring late 1sr round CHLer ..
and 150k$ under the IIHF agreement for euro 1sr rounder... now the RSL IMO would want at least 300k$ for each 1st rounder watch out ! :teach:

Right, but it's more than $150K under the old IIHF agreement, as I've previously documented on the International Board:

On average, a European club which lost a player who was selected in the first round the NHL-draft, received compensation of around USD 200,000. For players selected in rounds 2-9 of the NHL-draft, the clubs received compensation of around USD 120,000.
http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr4003.htm

$300K wasn't out of line for a first rounder under the expired agreement. There's nothing Rangeresque about what the Habs paid. When a new agreement is signed, we're probably looking at fees starting at $500K for 1st rounders and reaching $1 million for top 10 picks. Of course the Habs could have waited for his RSL contract to expire and brought him over for nothing. :D

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I really don't understand what's the fuss about that 300k. It's pocket money, specially since Kostitsyn is one of Montreal most hyped prospect.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Because of Kostitsyn's tricky health concerns, the Habs felt they had to bring this guy over.

I think it's a reasonable move in the circumstances. That being said, wouldn't it have been better to bring him over last year?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Goldthorpe said:
I really don't understand what's the fuss about that 300k. It's pocket money, specially since Kostitsyn is one of Montreal most hyped prospect.

300k is not pocket money in today's NHL. You simply do not know what you are talking about.

300k is enough to create contract tensions between top notch *proven* NHL players and their team. But somehow you'd want us to believe it's pocket change when talking about a questionable selection...

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Vlad The Impaler said:
300k is not pocket money in today's NHL. You simply do not know what you are talking about.

300k is enough to create contract tensions between top notch *proven* NHL players and their team. But somehow you'd want us to believe it's pocket change when talking about a questionable selection...

Compare this amount to what other teams have paid in similar situations like previously mentioned in this thread. They are pretty similar, or maybe the habs overpaid a bit (but we're not talking much here). Also, remember that the NHL-Russian prospect aggreement has expired, and that the russians are looking to get a better deal this time.

Frankly, if that 300k could become some kind of ballpark figure for any future deal involving these leagues, then I would find that fair. It is supposed to cover the player's development, and it's not terribly high considering the rookie salaries.

Kostitsyn health concern have been exagerated. He didn't enjoy a very good season in russia last year, and being a Belorusian, he would have had some difficulties finding a spot in his Superleague team. That alone is good enough reason to bring him here. Plus, he needs to learn NA defensive hockey, and the AHL is a good place to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->