TSN: Habs missed the boat again?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I'm not going to argue this specific case because I don't have the facts but it seems very clear that no effort at all is made to get local players. None whatsoever. Not Gaudreau ? Fine. But can we get any of the good ones ? Just one.

Seems that we shouldn't 'cause the league is weaker. That's some strange statement. No need to have good Q scouts. The league is weak!

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Yeah, and I'M ALWAYS there to remind that too. This is a thread about Gaudreau and the Q players. To suggest that I'M solely advocating this is selective reading like it's common around here.

habs drafting in our own back yard has been pretty bad. I know there isn't the same talent in QC as there used to be but habs should be finding every gem there is.

And even when habs do dip into the Q they are usually making the wrong selection.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
habs drafting in our own back yard has been pretty bad. I know there isn't the same talent in QC as there used to be but habs should be finding every gem there is.

And even when habs do dip into the Q they are usually making the wrong selection.

The expectations now are so damn low that we sign Ebbing, Leblanc and the answer is...bah..who cares, depth players, doesn't matter. We are not even expecting to get interesting AHL'ers anymore...:laugh:

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Damn right we missed the boat! He's the most talked about player in the playoffs. Not Crosby, not Malkin, not Subban but Gaudreau. All the TV stations are talking about him...another superstar that we missed!

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
So I understand the Gagnon hatred, trust me, he's not my favorite journalist, like far from it. And his analysis is obviously flawed....he looks at somebody who flourishes....and blames the Habs. Well I go further than that. Blame the whole scouting system who does not prove that it's up to what it was before. I blame the Q scouts. Something you'll NEVER hear Gagnon say. He will blame the anglos like Timmins and Churla. And while the ball starts and ends with Timmins....and he is to blame, so are those Q scouts.

Incredibly enough....it's not like they missed a lot of Q guys that were drafted after our guys. I've looked at it and aside from Palat you won't find a lot of guys that were drafted after our guys and that we missed. But those Myers, Gourde, JAM, Gaudreau that were not drafted at all? They weren't even worth an invitation? You couldn't be persuasive enough to convince Timmins to invite them? When 99% of our invitiations never ends up in contract signings?

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
So I understand the Gagnon hatred, trust me, he's not my favorite journalist, like far from it. And his analysis is obviously flawed....he looks at somebody who flourishes....and blames the Habs. Well I go further than that. Blame the whole scouting system who does not prove that it's up to what it was before. I blame the Q scouts. Something you'll NEVER hear Gagnon say. He will blame the anglos like Timmins and Churla. And while the ball starts and ends with Timmins....and he is to blame, so are those Q scouts.

Incredibly enough....it's not like they missed a lot of Q guys that were drafted after our guys. I've looked at it and aside from Palat you won't find a lot of guys that were drafted after our guys and that we missed. But those Myers, Gourde, JAM, Gaudreau that were not drafted at all? They weren't even worth an invitation? You couldn't be persuasive enough to convince Timmins to invite them? When 99% of our invitiations never ends up in contract signings?
David Savard? (after the Habs picked Mac Bennett).

Nicolas Roy? (after the Habs picked Lukas Vejdemo).

Who's the last NHL player they found in Quebec David Desharnais? And he was a long shot.

They either avoid local players or they are poor at scouting them.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
David Savard? (after the Habs picked Mac Bennett).

Nicolas Roy? (after the Habs picked Lukas Vejdemo).

Who's the last NHL player they found in Quebec David Desharnais? And he was a long shot.

They either avoid local players or they are poor at scouting them.

I wasn't talking about Q players they missed after a non-Q player. Was mostly referring to the job the Q scouts did selling Q boys but maybe not the right ones. But yeah, I don't think the Q is well perceived in Montreal. And something that tells me I'm right is the constant use of the guys we have in place right now. You listen Donald Audette talks and he doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife...

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I wasn't talking about Q players they missed after a non-Q player. Was mostly referring to the job the Q scouts did selling Q boys but maybe not the right ones. But yeah, I don't think the Q is well perceived in Montreal. And something that tells me I'm right is the constant use of the guys we have in place right now. You listen Donald Audette talks and he doesn't seem to be the sharpest knife...

Other teams are finding NHL players and prospects locally, it's been a dry run lately for the Habs.

Wouldn't be as bad if they were finding them elsewhere.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a 6'4 centre among your top prospects like Carolina?

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
A guy like Abramov would have been worth a trade to get a pick for him.

Face it WS, Timmins is not a Q lover, and our scouts have no clout whatsoever. And they suck. They let Michel Boucher walk away. Big mistake. Great hockey mind.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
A guy like Abramov would have been worth a trade to get a pick for him.

Face it WS, Timmins is not a Q lover, and our scouts have no clout whatsoever. And they suck. They let Michel Boucher walk away. Big mistake. Great hockey mind.

Been saying that for a long time so don't worry about time. Timmins is present in rinks. I see him in Blainville. But you wonder what he's looking at....

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I think it is wrong to say we missed the boat on Gaudreau. He wasn't even drafted and his best junior season was his final season when he posted 71 points in 63 games. He put up decent stats in the AHL (Fewer than Hudon). Only signed an ELC last January after playing about a season (43 games in 14-15 and about half of the 15-16 season) in the AHL for the Admirals. What he is doing is surprising, but there is literally no way to know he would have done that.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Even as a francophone I couldn't care less where our players come from as long as they give us great hockey.

Thing is, they don't, and most of our prospects are sure to never make the NHL as regulars.

THAT's what pisses me off when I see Ottawa or Tampa or Pittsburgh ice a bunch of Quebec-born players...

If we're going to play guys like Brian Flynn and draft guys like Connor Crisp, can we please use guys from the Q?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Damn right we missed the boat! He's the most talked about player in the playoffs. Not Crosby, not Malkin, not Subban but Gaudreau. All the TV stations are talking about him...another superstar that we missed!

Errr no. Guentzel is the most talked about, followed by Gaudreau. But, doesn't take away from the fact that the Preds were sharp in giving Gaudreau a chance and that a bunch of teams, not just the Habs, were asleep at the wheel. But then again, every team misses out on this type of player, the screening process isn't always accurate.

I agree that since the guy was undrafted and was in the Habs' backyard, the onus is more strongly on them to make sure they find a way to grab these kinds of players and not see some other team reap benefits, especially when they cost nothing to acquire.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
I am all for finding reasons to rip on Bergevin and his friends. But come on, this is ridiculous. It's not at all surprising coming from Gagnon. I can't believe that guy gets paid to share his opinions. Actually, I can say that for most within the NHL media.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
The only thing missing on this team was a player like Subban. I can't wait for Quebec City to get a team to switch allegiance.

Jul 6, 2016
It's such a dumb take...every other morning when I tune into 690 to hear Francois Gagnon's bit, I wonder why the hell they have him on?

Today's a perfect example...so because Gaudreau is from Quebec, the Habs should of signed him as an undrafted free agent?

They're supposed to sign every undrafted player coming out of the Q?

Lord....can't believe this nonsense is still being talked about in 2017

Yeah. Better sign some guys from Ontario and out West... So much better ! :sarcasm:

Jul 6, 2016
Errr no. Guentzel is the most talked about, followed by Gaudreau. But, doesn't take away from the fact that the Preds were sharp in giving Gaudreau a chance and that a bunch of teams, not just the Habs, were asleep at the wheel. But then again, every team misses out on this type of player, the screening process isn't always accurate.

I agree that since the guy was undrafted and was in the Habs' backyard, the onus is more strongly on them to make sure they find a way to grab these kinds of players and not see some other team reap benefits, especially when they cost nothing to acquire.

No injury to Johansson = no Gaudreau in the Playoffs.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Habs should have their ear to the ground in regards to QC players.

If there are hidden gems habs should be the first on them, especially overagers. No reason we can't drive a guy down from somewhere in QC to try out for the team!

Not saying every habs player should be local, but we should be getting better quality local players than DD.

Like said in the other post I don't like seeing teams like TB or Ottawa being more Quebec than the Habs.

I mean is really that hard for Molson to hire a guy just for the Q? He has the money. All Q CHL teams GM should be very intimate with habs staff and we should be the first to hear about this player or that player that is falling under the radar.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
No injury to Johansson = no Gaudreau in the Playoffs.

Funny how some in the media are now saying that there is no guarantee Gaudreau starts the season with the Preds, despite his playoff success. I don't know, I think he showed something at a critical time -- opened some eyes, pretty sure he'll get a very long look at training camp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad