Post-Game Talk: Habs Lose the Ultimate Tanker Battle by beating Wings 4-3

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Can someone explain me that very year folks on this site and others are re-doing the previous year draft(s)... And suddenly some guys like Pastrnak, drafted very late in the 1st round, is among the three best player from his draft year ? And I could go on with actual star players drafted very far from a top-ten. And you have busts like Yakupov and many others through the years. Scouting + luck is everything.

So, drafting 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 is no proof of getting a franchise or star player.

Let's draft 25th all the time, and then we'll get all the Pastrnaks. Drafting high is useless.

cashinstinct

Cash is King
Jul 2, 2014
Anyone expecting NHL players. Most who won't be on the team mext year to just lay down and lose on purpose is just delusional.

Stop being angry at the players for winning games.
Julien has 4 years left on contract, he could try harder to lose.

Reactions: ArtPeur

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
i knew Niemi would win this game.....

at least Toronto will run Price out of the rink on Saturday

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Anyone expecting NHL players. Most who won't be on the team mext year to just lay down and lose on purpose is just delusional.

Ultimately the drafting system is to blame for all this, rewarding bottom teams with the opportunity for better picks. I'd like to see all non-playoff teams given first and equal opportunity at the draft, this tank talk will all but disappear IMO.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I was thinking the same thing, not a great idea to start the playoffs on a losing streak, teams going into the playoffs like to finish strong on a high note.

I mean, end of the day, Leafs are playing BOS or TBL. Being ultra motivated to win won't matter much in who they play since they have no control over their opponent. However, going into a playoff series having lost your last 2 isn't a distraction you need.

Ultimately, even resting some players, the Leafs have decent firepower still. Where they aren't very good is in their defence, even when everyone is there.

Anyhow, they will be at home, so hopefully that gets them to play some of their stars.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
What does it mean for us, if we get the third overall? Do we trade the pick?

Without knowing who is on the team's amateur scouting list, it's hard to say. I've professed my desire to get Wahlstrom a lot and I am sure he's going top-7. I may had considered a trade with NYI, who hold #10 and #12 as of today (not saying they'd do the trade of course), but Wahlstrom is gone by #10 IMO.

However, if the scouts have say Bouchard and Veleno on their list, they may do that trade, though I hope not.

Not something I would necessarily do, but maybe trading a 3rd for Vancouver's 6th and their #6 second rounder (around #37). Say if I was that high on Wahlstrom, or Dobson... one of which should be there at #6, that is a trade I may consider if Vancouver had maybe Zadina very high on their list.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
What? Are you even serious? The % to draft high changes .... how is it that hard to understand. On top of that :

If we lose this game and the next one and ottawa wins one then we can't draft lower than 5th. It would have been impossible. And there's at least 5 very good players ready to help this year.

If we lose this game even if we win the last one we are very unlikely to draft lower than 6th. It would have required Vacouver to lose the last two in regular time or Arizona to lose the last two to have a chance to draft lower than 6th.

Now we could drop as low as 8th depending and what will happen Saturday. In fact we could drop as long as 9th if we are extremely unlikely. At this rank you get a guy who is not ready and might not develop. I'm not sold on guys like Lundestrom or Hayton. Not ready and not sure to ever be.
If you are drafting for a saviour next year, good luck! (even Dahlin, who will definitely play next year, will not be a savour) The draft is projecting out 1-3 years in the early rounds, and 2-5 years in the later rounds.
As for your speculation on might not ever be ready, Hayton is one of the surest things going.
True that we want to pick as high as possible, and stringing together wins now is a detriment, but that's where our agreement ends.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Nothing and I mean nothing good will happen with the Habs while the current management team is in place.

Such an upbeat locker room with the players and media all happy with the win tonight. Barf.
If it makes you feel any better, I could do a find and replace with that statement, swapping in 'Wings' (or Senators, for that matter) for 'Habs', and it would be just as true.

But it probably doesn't make you guys feel any better. A front office of idiots is a sting that isn't easily remedied.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

You always want the players to try their hardest. But when it's in the best interest of the franchise, management should take certain things out of their hands. Like what goalie starts, or what prospect gets another look during a game that "helps to lose".

Maverik

Oct 26, 2006
You always want the players to try their hardest. But when it's in the best interest of the franchise, management should take certain things out of their hands. Like what goalie starts, or what prospect gets another look during a game that "helps to lose".
Maybe. My point was for the players. If I am paid thousands of dollars to go and play hockey, I try to win.

Management... tough.. Julien doesn't want to lose credibility with the players that, as mentionned, want to go out there and win.. he's still coaching most of them next year. The players don't want the rationale that Dahlin will come and save them... Bergevin shouldn't even be there anymore.. so I blame the big boss there.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
The Habs sucking has been pretty much evident for the entirety of Bergevin's tenure. This is the exact season we would have had last year if we didn't sign Radulov. Removing Subban and Radulov from the team pretty much ruined it.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Unfortunately, it didn't need genius to recognize this organization was in a bad spot years ago. It was a pretty popular opinion that turned out fairly accurate considering team record and prospect pool last 3 years.

And anyone on this board who did express these concerns were labelled "haters" who didn't know what they were talking about by some here. Often followed by I'd trust the opinion of professionals running an NHL hockey team over some random poster on an internet hockey board.

Peksni-a-wild-1.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Habs sucking has been pretty much evident for the entirety of Bergevin's tenure. This is the exact season we would have had last year if we didn't sign Radulov. Removing Subban and Radulov from the team pretty much ruined it.

Those were no doubt, significant factors. I'd add the clear absence of a viable plan and not having the right individuals to execute it was Bergevin's ultimate downfall.

Bergevin appeared to have a plan when he came in and then it kept going in different directions. And there was no one to set him straight. The ownership group did a terrible job managing Bergevin, who essentially was a rookie GM who needed far more accountability and an overseer with a hockey background.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->