Rumor: Habs interested in Maxim Tsyplakov (upd: signed with the Islanders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Usually one of these khl guys every year and they almost never work out. Besides , he’ll probably go somewhere warm and or with other Russians

Reactions: Habs Halifax

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Or shypachyov ?
Problem with guys like Ship and Sekac is their skill sets were suited for the Top 6 or nothing. They didn’t have multiple elements to their games - if they didn’t produce, they were useless. This guy is likely coming with the expectation of a bottom 6 role. Maybe a Yakov Trenin type.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Usually one of these khl guys every year and they almost never work out. Besides , he’ll probably go somewhere warm and or with other Russians

Free to acquire other than cap hit. If the AAV is manageable, worth a shot. If it don't work out, let them go.

Picking him up at the right age at 25. Turns 26 this September. Basically, getting someone who has gone through the maturity development and you never know.

Looks like a younger version of Armia to me. Big with a good shot but doesn't play mean. Effective when they are bringing it but don't show up each and every shift.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
How many of these guys have actually worked out? I can’t really think of anyone who was successful and lasted.

Reactions: Vachon23

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Free to acquire other than cap hit. If the AAV is manageable, worth a shot. If it don't work out, let them go.

Picking him up at the right age at 25. Turns 26 this September. Basically, getting someone who has gone through the maturity development and you never know.

Looks like a younger version of Armia to me. Big with a good shot but doesn't play mean. Effective when they are bringing it but don't show up each and every shift.
I get that, but I’m saying they have no chance. There’s no Russians in the pros for the Habs and there’s warmer places he can sign. Money for the first year isn’t an option so there’s no incentive there. I highly doubt they’ll get him and he’ll probably bust anyway. Most do.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Doesn't hurt to swing for the fences on a guy like this - we don't have forward prospects knocking at the door yet and there's a good chance Ylonen, Harvey-Pinard, Pearson and White's spots can be contested.

Maybe he steps in and becomes a viable third-line option. On a short deal - a year, maybe two, there's literally zero risk.

Reactions: cphabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I get that, but I’m saying they have no chance. There’s no Russians in the pros for the Habs and there’s warmer places he can sign. Money for the first year isn’t an option so there’s no incentive there. I highly doubt they’ll get him and he’ll probably bust anyway. Most do.

I do tend to agree that he probably picks someone else. There is a fair amount of competition in our forward group as well. Even if fans are low on Heineman, Farrell, Ylonen, RHP.

Roy likely has a top 9 spot.

Not sure if Dvorak is traded but we can use depth at center. Suzuki, Dach, Evans and I rather keep Newhook as the wild card center insurance.

Anderson is likely staying and I bet you he has a better season.

Armia might be easily moved to a cap floor team looking for depth. Armia has a great season after his ass was kicked to the AHL and he woke up.

Gallagher is staying.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Not sure if it has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I thought I seen something on the main board with about him a while back. Can't remember if it was last off season or during the course of this season. Thought it said something about Toronto having interest. The name is familiar.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not sure if it has been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I thought I seen something on the main board with about him a while back. Can't remember if it was last off season or during the course of this season. Thought it said something about Toronto having interest. The name is familiar.

The thread on the trade board was started in January. Back then, it was 4 teams including Toronto and later expanded to more teams.

Reactions: John B

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Bob Hartley, who coached in the KHL and against Tsyplakov, said that he's a good player. He's big and uses his body well. Skates well. Says he sees a 3rd liner in him.

He also said he plays a North American style of hockey.
So he's a decent asset, added for free who can play in the bottom six. I like that KH is injecting new blood and internal competition into the forwards. Can't have it be Anderson/Gallagher vs rookies who might not be ready. Need that additional element to push out the bad vets and insulate the valuable prospects

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
So he's a decent asset, added for free who can play in the bottom six. I like that KH is injecting new blood and internal competition into the forwards. Can't have it be Anderson/Gallagher vs rookies who might not be ready. Need that additional element to push out the bad vets and insulate the valuable prospects
Or maybe this is adding another bad vet...

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I don't see why Hughes would go out of his way to consider this guy if they scouts hadn't done their work. I trust the Hughes admin on quality scouting so far
Do all the work you want, it doesn't mean his KHL play translates to the NHL. Chris Wideman was the top D in the KHL then signed with the Habs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad