Post-Game Talk: Habs can't tank for beans, earn loser point in Shootout vs. Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Tampa is having a good year but they are in the same situation like most of the nhl teams, they are an injury to a key player away from missing playoffs.

That would be a shame now wouldn't it. That's happened to us quite a few times before and during the playoffs. Time and time again other teams are taking liberties on our smaller guys, time is past due for some payback accidentally on purpose. It's a violent sport, sh** happens.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You can keep inventing things but that doesn't make them true

Actually, I noticed this tendency too. Several times I heard media-types in French talking about Quebec players on the roster and ommiting Mitchell, which I always found highly curious, having grown-up in GFP/Brossard and elsewhere on the south shore where Mitchell is kinda well-known.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Actually, I noticed this tendency too. Several times I heard media-types in French talking about Quebec players on the roster and ommiting Mitchell, which I always found highly curious, having grown-up in GFP/Brossard and elsewhere on the south shore where Mitchell is kinda well-known.

That point I agree with but not the pressure to sign Deslauriers

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
oooooorrrr.....

Mitchell is 33... and has seen better days ? And he was a known variable.. And Deslaurier was a breath of fresh air with his energy .. and when did Mitchell win the molson cup again ?

The clamor to sign Mitchell after he had "good" playoffs for us after we acquired him was as big as to sign Deslaurier this year.

But yeah... damn frenchies ! All our fault... again. Them double standards eh ?

If there was a real French bias we would be acquiring players like Perron, Marchessault, Gourde, Barré-Boulet, St-Louis, Brière left and right. We almost never do

First off I ´m french, so i’m not bashing french people...MB make the decisions he the only responsible.
2nd the clamor to resign Mitchell was never never as big has Deslauriers (there at different stage, Nicolas was playing great) but let not try to ignore the fact that at some point half the city would have burn down if a no french speaking would have been name...
They did try to sign french players but they sign elsewhere for all kind of reason but one of them is the pressure of being a french in Montreal.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
That point I agree with but not the pressure to sign Deslauriers
Well presure might be strong Word but it would have been new and a big talking point on RDS, TVA and sport talk radio. Sometime timming makes things worst and i think deslauriers would have been on of them. If you understand that even if Mitchell was from Qc he didn’t get the same kind of media coverage as some french player like Begin, Bouillon(US borned), DD, Latendresse, Dandeneault, deslauriers than you understand that the presure on management would also be different.

Reactions: mariolemieux66

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Once on Hockey Night in Canada, I saw fans running after the turnstiles were opened. Running to the concession stands? No, running to their assigned seats; that was how fervent (even if their team is lousy) Montrealers about their beloved Habs. Some would call it a religion, the likes of the Roman Catholic Church in Quebec.

At the Forum there were standing room areas, so you got there early, lined up then ran like hell to get to the best spots.

I don't think the Bell Centre has standing room. I've actually never been to a game at the Bell Center. Went to a ton at the Forum. Great venue. Loved it.

CBC whenever it televised in Montreal would always show that shot of the fans running through the gates as the Forum opened. It was a great shot & unique. Not a lot of arenas had standing room & if they did they were ticketed.

Old Chicago Stadium had standing room. But you got a ticket stub for your spot so no running was necessary.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Yet, it's the only major league professional sport that gives out those points "for ties in regulation" aka points for losing.

NFL? Nope.
NBA? Nope.
MLB? Nope.
MLS? Nope.

In the MLS games can end tied. The other three sports decided to go for a zero sum game. If you remember the NHL had a similar system as the MLS. A tied game ended tied. Each team got one point and moved on. A few years back they decided to finish tied games so they went with the over time and if still tied for the abomination that is the shoot out and they awarded the extra point. I don't know where you guys get this loser point idea. For decades on decades the NHL awarded a point to each team for a tied game. It wasn't a loser point then.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I think we may be out of the playoffs now.

Even if we win all of our games left it may not be enough.

Anyone feel different still?

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Am I the only one looking forward to seeing Schebak, Reilly, Juulsen , Carr (we didn't get to see him most of the season), and some combination of Hudon, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, and Drouin play together, hopefully with Scherbak? And Lernout too.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Yet, it's the only major league professional sport that gives out those points "for ties in regulation" aka points for losing.

NFL? Nope.
NBA? Nope.
MLB? Nope.
MLS? Nope.
MLS does, 3 points for a regulation win, 2 points for overtime win and 1 point for an overtime loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad