Post-Game Talk: Habs can't tank for beans, earn loser point in Shootout vs. Bolts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
So our record is 3 wins 6 losses in OT, and 2 wins 6 losses in SO this season....

So we just need to work the 3 vs 3 and the SO and we will be in the playoff next year.... and once you're in the playoff anything can happen!!!! keep the faith

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It's not a loser point, it's a point for a tie in regulation and Tampa won the bonus point in the shoot out.

Here is exactly what it is..
For any team not making the playoffs it's a Loser Point.
For any playoff bound team it's a well deserved bonus point.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I found this to be a very informative PGT.
After whipping through the posts I learned a number of things about our beloved Habs.

1) Our franchise has been likened to a bag of Potato Chips.
2) We won't regain our path to glory until the City stops misappropriation.
3) Carey Price was somehow at fault for us gaining a loser point.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I found this to be a very informative PGT.
After whipping through the posts I learned a number of things about our beloved Habs.

1) Our franchise has been likened to a bag of Potato Chips.
2) We won't regain our path to glory until the City stops misappropriation.
3) Carey Price was somehow at fault for us gaining a loser point.

4) Most of us are bipolar. :skeptic:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That and poor drafting. And by fans I mean media too. But seriously it started with Roy, then Brisebois, Koivu got grilled for not speaking French, who cares? I'd rather hear English that Brent Lernout's attempt at French. Ryder, 30 goal scorer, got the boo birds. Somehow Kovalev who was the most perimeter player in history, was revered, even though his coach wanted to bench him for being lazy. Got him fired. Now it's Price. Paciorretty. Alzner and Shaw on the hit list. I'm sure I missed some. Never seen a team tear itself apart like Montreal does from outside influences.

The habs haven't won a cup in 25 years because they can't accumulate enough talent to do so. They have let UFA's walk without getting anything in return, traded picks and prospects for players they're not going to retain, avoided a protracted building phase like the plague, and haven't been lucky or smart enough to compensate.

In so far as it has anything to do with the fans, it would be that Montrealers have more disposable income than sense: they continue to pay for a hopeless product cobbled together by feckless, directionless management. But sure, more patience with them will yield a cup any day now. Don't stop believin' voyageur.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
So we just need to work the 3 vs 3 and the SO and we will be in the playoff next year.... and once you're in the playoff anything can happen!!!! keep the faith
The concensus among head coaches is that the purity of hockey is being ruined by the 5-minute, 5 v. 5 overtime and the loathsome shootout. HCs such as Randy "Kitty" Carlyse, Mike Babcock, Claude Julien, Coach Q, i.e. old farts in the coaching fraternity prefer the old fashioned 2 points for a win and each team gets 1 point for a tie and no OT. Thus, there's little emphasis to practice breakaways (i.e. penalty shots) yet we all know that a bubble team loses out on a wild card berth because they weren't good at shootouts. The solution? Give the HCs their wish to eliminate both the OT and the shootout and damn the fans and their desire to be entertained.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
The habs haven't won a cup in 25 years because they can't accumulate enough talent to do so. They have let UFA's walk without getting anything in return, traded picks and prospects for players they're not going to retain, avoided a protracted building phase like the plague, and haven't been lucky or smart enough to compensate.

In so far as it has anything to do with the fans, it would be that Montrealers have more disposable income than sense: they continue to pay for a hopeless product cobbled together by feckless, directionless management. But sure, more patience with them will yield a cup any day now. Don't stop believin' voyageur.
Once on Hockey Night in Canada, I saw fans running after the turnstiles were opened. Running to the concession stands? No, running to their assigned seats; that was how fervent (even if their team is lousy) Montrealers about their beloved Habs. Some would call it a religion, the likes of the Roman Catholic Church in Quebec.

Reactions: NotProkofievian

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Once on Hockey Night in Canada, I saw fans running (similar to Black Friday and Boxing Day Mania) after the turnstiles were opened. Running to the concession stands? No, running to their assigned seats; that was how fervent (even if their team is lousy) Montrealers about their beloved Habs. Some would call it a religion, the likes of the Roman Catholic Church in Quebec.

Shabs

Nov 16, 2017
Montreal fans are the best. Who else would put up with this crap for 25 years? The arguing on this board for me is just proof of that passion.

But even zealots have their limits and I think Montreal fans have finally met theirs. I think we could get behind a crappy team if there was a clear plan, like a true tank eg. trade price, trade Weber suck for a few years. Burn it to the ground and rise from the ashes.

But what management is doing now is... I don’t know what. My best guess is they think: “ok, we sucked this year but that’s just bad luck - injuries, price an off year etc - but we are actually a contender. Not far off. So let’s just tank the rest of this year, hopefully get a top 1st round pick who can play for us next year, sign Tavares and overpay a couple other older free agents with our cap room and win the cup next year.”

But the fans have no faith in this leadership group and they see through this as a false vision and they are not going to drink the koolaid. Most fans anyway. There are a few who will drink it anyway and that’s ok too. Live and let die.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Not the same situation no one in the french media blink when torrey was traded Torrey was from Qc but wasn’t French. MB had a lot more presure tu resign deslauriers.

oooooorrrr.....

Mitchell is 33... and has seen better days ? And he was a known variable.. And Deslaurier was a breath of fresh air with his energy .. and when did Mitchell win the molson cup again ?

The clamor to sign Mitchell after he had "good" playoffs for us after we acquired him was as big as to sign Deslaurier this year.

But yeah... damn frenchies ! All our fault... again. Them double standards eh ?

If there was a real French bias we would be acquiring players like Perron, Marchessault, Gourde, Barré-Boulet, St-Louis, Brière left and right. We almost never do.

Torrey is a ****ing colonizing bastard who raped our lands don't you know this?

Holy crap.... another beauty from waffledave.

Torrey didn't rape the lands, but please show us on the doll where the big bad Frenchie touched you.

Last edited:

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Did I say that ?

No, even if you reverse our playoffs/OT record, we would still only be a bubble playoffs team.

And our inability to win OT/SO shows how our offense sucks.

But I have to say that Julien's 3v3 tactics are awful. Perhaps if he had coached better this year we would be in the playoffs. He was throwing Plekanec out there all the time like the goal was not to lose. Awful mentality. Awful results.

The concensus among head coaches is that the purity of hockey is being ruined by the 5-minute, 5 v. 5 overtime and the loathsome shootout. HCs such as Randy "Kitty" Carlyse, Mike Babcock, Claude Julien, Coach Q, i.e. old farts in the coaching fraternity prefer the old fashioned 2 points for a win and each team gets 1 point for a tie and no OT. Thus, there's little emphasis to practice breakaways (i.e. penalty shots) yet we all know that a bubble team loses out on a wild card berth because they weren't good at shootouts. The solution? Give the HCs their wish to eliminate both the OT and the shootout and damn the fans and their desire to be entertained.

I kind of like 3v3 OT, but SO are a travesty that belongs in the olympics so we can only see it once or twice every 4 years, and then be pissed when it reminds us why it's dumb to decide games like this. Imagine a playoffs game being decided by a SO.... if it's not good for important games, why is it good for regular season games ?

Last edited:

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Interesting that he would actually put Sergachev in. Tampa is just hanging onto first in the Atlantic over Boston, so points do mean something for Tampa.

As nhlfan9191 said he would rub it in our faces too if he were him, so I agree rubbing salt in our wounds was Cooper's primary motivation, oh how he would have loved it if Sergachev had scored.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Interesting that he would actually put Sergachev in. Tampa is just hanging onto first in the Atlantic over Boston, so points do mean something for Tampa.

As nhlfan9191 said he would rub it in our faces too if he were him, so I agree rubbing salt in our wounds was Cooper's primary motivation, oh how he would have loved it if Sergachev had scored.

Cooper (like a lot of coaches) think they are smarter than any one else. He record as Tampa coach is really average in his five years. Five years, five playoff round wins. We'll see if he's smirking, when Boston catches Tampa for first place, Tampa plays Leafs in the first round, Leafs beat Tampa in the first round. Montreal fans and management can give the Leafs a thank you :thumbu: in about six weeks.

Reactions: Forum93

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
It's pretty widely accepted that he's hugely improved defensively. Did you not notice a change in his game?

What would that have to do with a shoot out attempt anyway?
I was being sarcastic. Didn't think I needed :sarcasm: but apparently I did lol

Reactions: groovejuice

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
Cooper (like a lot of coaches) think they are smarter than any one else. He record as Tampa coach is really average in his five years. Five years, five playoff round wins. We'll see if he's smirking, when Boston catches Tampa for first place, Tampa plays Leafs in the first round, Leafs beat Tampa in the first round. Montreal fans and management can give the Leafs a thank you :thumbu: in about six weeks.
Tampa is having a good year but they are in the same situation like most of the nhl teams, they are an injury to a key player away from missing playoffs.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Here is exactly what it is..
For any team not making the playoffs it's a Loser Point.
For any playoff bound team it's a well deserved bonus point.
if the team you played gets the win ........... you lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad