News Article: Habs are 50 to 1 Odds to win Stanley Cup in 2018-19

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I think that 50 to 1 is a very generous prediction even if the other teams in the league were forced to face us with empty nets.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Montreal has not yet came out and told the fans were rebuilding...BUT the odds markers are saying that is the case.....because they got us lumped in with all the teams that have said (in the media)there rebuilding like Vancouver , NY Rangers,Ottawa,Buffalo,Carolina,Detroit...
A 50 to 1 odd not sure how far back you gotta go to see that type of bad odds on the Habs.

• Montreal Canadiens: 50/1
  • Carolina Hurricanes: 60/1
  • New York Islanders: 60/1
  • Buffalo Sabres: 66/1
  • New York Rangers: 70/1
  • Detroit Red Wings: 75/1
  • Arizona Coyotes: 80/1
  • Vancouver Canucks: 80/1
  • Ottawa Senators: 100/1

Looking at the above 50-1 is pretty good. Not sure how we have better odds than NYR or NYI.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
So you're telling me there's a chance?

tenor.gif

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
I guess if the next big player comes from the Congo and every NHL team scouts him except the Habs gives and contracts Ebola and passes it on to their respective teams the Habs have a pretty decent chance.

Reactions: DAChampion

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I guess if the next big player comes from the Congo and every NHL team scouts him except the Habs gives and contracts Ebola and passes it on to their respective teams the Habs have a pretty decent chance.

We may as well start scouting the Congo to see if this mysterious thing called character that’s been nowhere to be seen in 6 years is hidden in an area we haven’t been looking.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Montreal has not yet came out and told the fans were rebuilding...BUT the odds markers are saying that is the case.....because they got us lumped in with all the teams that have said (in the media)there rebuilding like Vancouver , NY Rangers,Ottawa,Buffalo,Carolina,Detroit...
A 50 to 1 odd not sure how far back you gotta go to see that type of bad odds on the Habs.

• Montreal Canadiens: 50/1
  • Carolina Hurricanes: 60/1
  • New York Islanders: 60/1
  • Buffalo Sabres: 66/1
  • New York Rangers: 70/1
  • Detroit Red Wings: 75/1
  • Arizona Coyotes: 80/1
  • Vancouver Canucks: 80/1
  • Ottawa Senators: 100/1

Ottawa being lower than Vancouver is a joke. Not quite sure why Buffalo is ahead of the Rangers either. Especially since Lundqvist is better than Lehner.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
2011 Habs listed at 30-1
2012 - 25 to 1
2013 - 30 to 1
2014 - 20 to 1
2015 - 12 to 1
2016 - 20 to 1

2018-2019 50 to 1

These odds don't make sense and you should take them with a grain of salt. Its not a prediction of winning its just how much the house thinks it needs to payout to get people to buy in to cover their loss on the winning bets.

I mean in 2012 the team was 3rd last and had better odds than in 2013? when the team was 4th in the NHL?

And 30 to 1 but the team makes the ECF, final 4. And 12 to 1 odds, but habs are drafting 10 in the draft and suffered an epic collapse.

Not saying the Habs should have good odds.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'd be willing to put down a $20 bet on the 50/1 odds. $1000 bucks payout or I lose my $20 bucks. To put things in perspective, a double rum and coke is $15 bucks and I don't have any problems with spending that kind of money multiple times a night at a bar :sarcasm:

I did win $260 bucks this year with the Caps winning. It was a futures bet I made back in January.... Made futures bet on several teams and I do it every year.

I know Tavares is a long shot but imagine... Tavares, De Haan, Emelin

Galchenyuk / Tavares / Scherbak
Lehkonen / Drouin / Zadina
Patch / Danault / Gallagher
Byron / DLR / Shaw

Emelin / Weber
De Haan / Petry
Alzner / Juulsen

Price

High chance I would waste $20 bucks but I probably do this everyday on other stuff so the chance at winning $1000 bucks if we magically win the cup would be icing on the cake.

Glass is always half full.

Last edited:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Looking at the above 50-1 is pretty good. Not sure how we have better odds than NYR or NYI.

We're a year removed from winning the division, and we have Carey Price.

I'm not saying we have a great chance at the cup - but some teams have no chance. I think Carey Price is enough of an x-factor to never have us in last place in terms of cup chances.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
We're a year removed from winning the division, and we have Carey Price.

I'm not saying we have a great chance at the cup - but some teams have no chance. I think Carey Price is enough of an x-factor to never have us in last place in terms of cup chances.

we are included in those teams you speak of......

one player never wins you a cup......and Price has never done anything in the playoffs......sssssoooo?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
we are included in those teams you speak of......

one player never wins you a cup......and Price has never done anything in the playoffs......sssssoooo?

"Lesser" teams have rallied around heroic performances of goaltenders in the past to go very far into playoffs/win cups. A few examples include:

Roy in 93
Giguere in 03
Fleury this year with Vegas

With the best goalie in the league - there's always a chance.

Moreso than some of the other bad teams. We at least have a puncher's chance. Some don't even have that.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
"Lesser" teams have rallied around heroic performances of goaltenders in the past to go very far into playoffs/win cups. A few examples include:

Roy in 93
Giguere in 03

Moreso than some of the other bad teams. We at least have a puncher's chance. Some don't even have that.

but we don't have that

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017

Roy in 93
Giguere in 03

so 3 teams in the past 26 years?

the odds they list then seem pretty accurate to me :laugh::laugh:

the 93 cup was total fluke.....Roy had little influence on it......other teams paved an easy road for us....our job was simple

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
but we don't have that

so 3 teams in the past 26 years?

the odds they list then seem pretty accurate to me :laugh::laugh:

the 93 cup was total fluke.....Roy had little influence on it......other teams paved an easy road for us....our job was simple

I know you seem to have given up on Price and that's fine - who knows you may be right. But I'm sure you're smart enough to at least acknowledge it's plausible he can recapture the form he had 2-3 years ago, as he's still young enough and in good enough shape. And that goalie is quite a bit better than any others in the NHL.

As to your 2nd post. I'm not claiming we should be favorites at 1 to 10 odds. Yeah I agree with us being near the bottom of the list, of course. We have a crap team with a ton of issues.

All i'm saying is that with a player like Price - we at the very least have a "puncher's chance". Which is more than at least a few teams in the NHL have. Hence - we shouldn't be last when it comes to the odds. And we're not.

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
All i'm saying is that with a player like Price - we at the very least have a "puncher's chance".

Price couldn't win us a cup when we had a GOOD TEAM.....why do you think he is able to drag a POOR TEAM to the cup?.....thats just nonsense

it absolutely boggles my mind when people think that Price is our saviour.....why?.....he hasn't done anything, he had one good year and we still lost,

after 10 damn years its time to give up on the guy.....we are never winning anything with Price on this team, its time for a change and a new strategy,

no goalie is winning a cup after 10 years on the same god damn team....its just rediculous at this point, and i cant believe management can not see it

Roy came up huge in the playoffs, more-so with colorado then us.....Roy was a game changer in the playoffs, Price is not that and never will be

Last edited:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Odds aren’t supposed to be predictive; they are designed to equalize money across the board so the house rakes in their 10%. That doesn’t stop the vast majority of the sports media.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl

Roy in 93
Giguere in 03

None lesser than current Habs though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->