Confirmed with Link: Habs acquire David Schlemko for 2019 5th rounder

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I (quickly) counted 14 in this thread that claimed schlemko either sucks or is a 7 D

Many if not all have probably never seen him play

Even at 14, with the sheer number of posters both here and on the Main boards, I have seen the vast majority tabbing the Schlemko deal as a positive for the Habs.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
I'm just suggesting Bergevin is the author of his own shortcomings by holding on to a player like Beaulieu too long and not dealing him ahead of the expansion draft, where his value would have been higher. As I recall, there were persistent rumors about how much Edmonton valued him 2 years ago, which would have been worth more than the third draft pick he got for him.

Let's not mix apples and oranges, Vegas chose Emelin all their own. Bergevin played a passive role on that.

Not true. The reason he dealt Beaulieu for a third was because Vegas would have picked him.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
You need a good team to win in today's NHL. No, your "flavor of the year" particular makeup is not necessary any more than the 15 or so previous flavor of the years other posters have subjected me to since I'v been posting on HF.

I've heard them all. You need a supreme goalie. You need North Americans. You need centers. You need lots of blueliners. You need toughness. Speed. Size. Playmaking.You need a genius coach. Blah blah blah.

What you need is to ice the best team possible, and then hope they will peak at the right time, which will happen with good management, coaching, talent and a bit of luck.

I tend to agree with this sentiment. It's all about composition, but not necessarily about having at least 2 of this in particular, or 1 player of that role, or 3 of this plus 2 of that, or what have you. There are always multiple ways to beat any given opponent in a 7 game series, but everyone has to execute/perform no matter how you go about it.

Apr 28, 2010
basically the core issue is that the defense being juggled by management like moving pylons year after year without a difference
two steps forward two steps back

I think the Habs' D will be much better this year.

Salary-wise, Benn/Schlemko>>>Emelin.

Pretty good deal to me.

But yes, team obviously still needs a top pairing LHD. Not so sure how to get that, though.

But anyway, Im more worried about the offense. Defense will be fine, imo especially having Carey out there to save the day.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I think the Habs' D will be much better this year...

Uh, we're talking about a group that surrendered the 3rd lowest goals in the league last year, so "much" better? Anyhoo, the real bonus is that we can ice a pretty legit 3rd pair now while saving money/cap space that can be used elsewhere in the process. Letting Emelin go in exchange seems worth that right now, imo. Emelin is a pretty deluxe 3rd pairing guy, doesn't even look horrible most of the time if a guy like Weber or Markov is carrying him in a larger role, but that price is just too much for the role in our circumstances. Vegas will probably get good value out of him even at that price, but that doesn't change the overall (positive) impact on the Habs' current situation.

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
The Habs top 5 D-men were in the top 35 out of over 700 players in the league.

W-T-F!!!!

Never would I have imagine that in a million years!!!! :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

That stat means absolutely nothing. Tavares was up in the top 5 a couple years ago and he's one of the best forwards defensively. Subban led the whole thing 2 years back.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I think the Habs' D will be much better this year.

Salary-wise, Benn/Schlemko>>>Emelin.

Pretty good deal to me.

But yes, team obviously still needs a top pairing LHD. Not so sure how to get that, though.

But anyway, Im more worried about the offense. Defense will be fine, imo especially having Carey out there to save the day.

I showed a way. Galchenyuk + a 1st rounder for Leddy and Beauvillier.

Shaw + a 3rd rounder for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to get us a real #2C , and play Drouin at #1C with re-signed Rads and Patches.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

Shaw + a 3rd rounder for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins to get us a real #2C , and play Drouin at #1C with re-signed Rads and Patches.

Galchenyuk + 1st for Leddy and Beauvillier has been bandied about on the main board and was unceremoniously rejected by all Isles fans.

And why would EDM have any interest in Shaw? They already cleared salary cap room by dealing Eberle.

This is not a way, it is wishful thinking.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

NYI isn't trading a legit #1 dman (who's still young) for Galchenyuk. It was rumored that Edmonton didn't trade RNH for Jones straight up, so i highly doubt they'll move him straight up for Shaw.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Interesting Giveaway Stats :

#1 (By a country mile) {Norris Trophy winner} Brent Burns
#2 {Norris Runner up} Eric Karlsson
#3 (Solid #3 D-man) Jeff Petry!!!!
#11 Alexi Emelin
#16 (Soilid #1) Shea Weber
#29 Nathan Beaulieu
#35 Andrei Markov
#45 Jonathan Drouin
#56 Ryan McDonagh
#68 PK Subban (WHAT????)
#90 Carey Price (The first goaltender on the list)
#116 Jordie Benn
#174 David Schlemko
#249 Alex Galchenyuk
#681 Frans Neilsson (Just to put it all in persective)

If you go by turnovers per game:

#9- Emelin
#10- Markov
#18- Weber

Holy Moly!!! Those are ugly stats for our team!!!

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-giveaways-statistic/2016/

LOL now post the leaked B party video stat besides every palyer that had one... ! :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Tiger Svoboda

Jul 28, 2004
I think Beaulieu was traded to force Vegas to select Emelin or Plek to clear cap space. And he was not wanted anymore, specially as a rfa.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
NYI isn't trading a legit #1 dman (who's still young) for Galchenyuk. It was rumored that Edmonton didn't trade RNH for Jones straight up, so i highly doubt they'll move him straight up for Shaw.

If the cost for Schenn was 2 1st's and cap dump AG is not getting a top prospect and 1D.

Hextal just ruined the market. Schenn = AG. Both highly touted prospects, both Wingers that are miscast as C's, both 25 or so goal scorers. And AG/Schenne=MD.

If Leddy+Beauviller were being moved the Islanders would have Duchene/AG/Schenn right now on their roster.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Interesting Giveaway Stats :

#1 (By a country mile) {Norris Trophy winner} Brent Burns
#2 {Norris Runner up} Eric Karlsson
#3 (Solid #3 D-man) Jeff Petry!!!!
#11 Alexi Emelin
#16 (Soilid #1) Shea Weber
#29 Nathan Beaulieu
#35 Andrei Markov
#45 Jonathan Drouin
#56 Ryan McDonagh
#68 PK Subban (WHAT????)
#90 Carey Price (The first goaltender on the list)
#116 Jordie Benn
#174 David Schlemko
#249 Alex Galchenyuk
#681 Frans Neilsson (Just to put it all in persective)

If you go by turnovers per game:

#9- Emelin
#10- Markov
#18- Weber

Holy Moly!!! Those are ugly stats for our team!!!

https://www.sportingcharts.com/nhl/stats/player-giveaways-statistic/2016/

I'd be interested to see the average number per game by arena.

It was pointed out in prior years that the Bell Centre seemed to be consistently identifying more then other arenas.

Would not be surprised that the stat keepers are as inconsistent from arena to arena as the refereeing from game to game in the league.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
I really like Bergevin summer so far.

Beaulieu and a 5th for Schlemko and a 3th... Great job.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
This is such BS. He's worth so much more. He's a great #4/5 who had a great season in SJ. We were talking about protecting 4 d-men just to keep him, but DW screwed up. Now he goes for a late pick? :shakehead

Charon

Jul 24, 2008
This is such BS. He's worth so much more. He's a great #4/5 who had a great season in SJ. We were talking about protecting 4 d-men just to keep him, but DW screwed up. Now he goes for a late pick? :shakehead

I was surprised by the price too, although I hadn't seen much of him except in the Oilers-Sharks series earlier this spring. He seems pretty mobile and good at moving the puck. I figured he could form a strong third pairing with Benn, and that he can jump up into the top four in a pinch.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
I'd be interested to see the average number per game by arena.

It was pointed out in prior years that the Bell Centre seemed to be consistently identifying more then other arenas.

Would not be surprised that the stat keepers are as inconsistent from arena to arena as the refereeing from game to game in the league.

The Bell Centre people basically consider every time you lose control of the puck as a giveaway.

A player could lose control and gain it back before another player touched it and still be marked for a giveaway.

It's honestly a broken stat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->