Habs' 12Th & 22nd vs. 5/6/7th?

P2

Sep 30, 2004
Strange draft this year - no consensus no. 1, lots of debate about ranking the top 5 or 6, comments that it's a very weak draft along with comments that it's pretty good but lacks any clear cut stars, etc.

If you were Bob Gainey, would you trade the 12th/22nd picks to move up to the 5, 6 or 7 spot? Similarly, would you do the reverse as a Washington, Edmonton or Columbus GM?

Rich09

Oct 22, 2004
Yes, Habs needs Karl Alzner. After Komisarek and Fisher, they have nothing. If they can't and Esposito is still available at 12th, Gainey has to take him.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Edmonton has 3 1sts this year already. We aren't trading down for more picks.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
If you were Bob Gainey, would you trade the 12th/22nd picks to move up to the 5, 6 or 7 spot?
Definitely not in advance, anyway, with no prior knowledge of what the other teams would do. On draft day, I guess if you found that a guy you really wanted bad was still available as those picks came up, well, it might get somewhat more conceivable.

Generally speaking, however, if I make the tenuous prediction that Kane, Turris, and Van Riemsdyk are already gone, I don't think I step up and make that offer for any of the rest of them. Voracek, Gagner, Alzner, etc... fine prospects all, but I'm not sure that the separation between them and whoever falls to #12 is so great that you also give up a decently solid #22 pick for one of them.

And especially not for Alzner IMHO. I don't know who it will be, but I still think there will be someone (possibly multiple someones) picked after him - picked after #12 actually - who will go on to have an equivalent or better NHL career on defense. (I hope Trevor Timmins knows who it is!).

shayne

Feb 27, 2003
ontario
Visit site
i would not move up, personally i think 2 1st rd picks in this particular draft is ..

Strange draft this year - no consensus no. 1, lots of debate about ranking the top 5 or 6, comments that it's a very weak draft along with comments that it's pretty good but lacks any clear cut stars, etc.

If you were Bob Gainey, would you trade the 12th/22nd picks to move up to the 5, 6 or 7 spot? Similarly, would you do the reverse as a Washington, Edmonton or Columbus GM?

better then one

who is to say hamill or sweatt or gillies or mcDonagh or sutter or blum or aliu or petrecki or backlund or moeller or on and on and on aren't going to be better then ellerby or esposito or whoemever

i like multiple picks in what seems to be a wide open draft, next year i understand is different, you want a top 5 pick next year

Nutrasweetdaddy

Jun 3, 2007
Yes, Habs needs Karl Alzner. After Komisarek and Fisher, they have nothing. If they can't and Esposito is still available at 12th, Gainey has to take him.

I'm with you on Alzner, and why we need him. As for Espo, he has a good hockey name.....beyond that I'm not sure.

I hear that he's getting by because he is highly skilled in his level, but doesn't have the hockey sense to succeed at the next. I think he'll be another one of these "underachieving" types at the NHL level.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I'd trade up for Voracek at the 6 or 7 spot if he's still there.

Never mind Alzner... a good stay at home D granted but I wouldn't jump up and down do draft him.

Bryzga lol*

I'm really not worried about the Habs defence at the moment. They drafted well in the past few years and with guys like Valentenko, Carle, Emelin, Côté and O'byrne playing well in their respective leagues, I think one or two of them could emerge as top pairing defencemen once they hit their peak. David Fischer could also become a good defencemen for the habs if he does well in the NCAA next year (didn't get enough playing time in his rookie season).

If a guy like Couture, Hamill, Cherepanov or even Esposito falls to #12, the Habs should pick them. Their should be a large number of defencemen with a lot of potential left at #22. But if the Habs pick a defencemen with their number 12 pick, they should consider picking someone like Lars Eller if he's availible at 22. Actually, I wouldn't be upset if they picked Eller at #12 either.

HABSMANIA21*

at #12, Mtl should take a chance on Angelo Esposito and #22 for Lars Eller or Ryan McDonagh

i dont have a good feeling about esposito. lots of people say hes a alexander daigle. that would be a gamble to pick esposito.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd only support a move up for Voracek or VanRiemsdyk.

After that, I'd rather hope for something like Shattenkirk/McDonagh and Eller/Sweatt/Hamill/Backlund.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
better then one

who is to say hamill or sweatt or gillies or mcDonagh or sutter or blum or aliu or petrecki or backlund or moeller or on and on and on aren't going to be better then ellerby or esposito or whoemever

i like multiple picks in what seems to be a wide open draft, next year i understand is different, you want a top 5 pick next year

montreal should draft Aliu, he'd fit perfect, he speaks russian. he can be part of the markov, kovalev, kostytsin, samsonov, valentenko, grabovsky, emelin russian click :teach:

13o13

Apr 12, 2007
montreal should draft Aliu, he'd fit perfect, he speaks russian. he can be part of the markov, kovalev, kostytsin, samsonov, valentenko, grabovsky, emelin russian click :teach:

lol, with all his attitudes problems, no tx.
We already got 1 Kovalev, we dont want a 2nd one...:p:

Bourque7799

Jun 1, 2006
New England
I think the Habs are gonna take Perron at 22 and if Esposito is still available at 12, as far as trading up is concerned a team 5-9 might take that

emb24*

..right that's why emelin is considered the best young Dman in russia, valentenko was on the all star team at the 07 WJC and o'byrne was a key component for hamilton winning a calder

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
Again , after Komisarek and Fisher they have nothing .

While Alzner is a stud .

Heh....Emelin was on the top pairing with Markov for the russian team at the Worlds. Valentenko is not far behind. Half of the Russian D squad in 2010 might be these 3 players.

O'Byrne is pretty much a carbon copy of Komisarek. Habs are pretty much set on D for a while.

Freaky Habs Fan

Apr 26, 2003
New-Brunswick
Visit site
Heh....Emelin was on the top pairing with Markov for the russian team at the Worlds. Valentenko is not far behind. Half of the Russian D squad in 2010 might be these 3 players.

O'Byrne is pretty much a carbon copy of Komisarek. Habs are pretty much set on D for a while.
They are not set, as those players haven't reach the NHL yet, but they are better than a year ago...but the potential is there, and the probabilities of success are good for all of them...

So for the other poster who was saying that after Komisarek and Markov, there's nothing, well he just don't know his stuff...

Habitant#1

Feb 15, 2006
Brisbane
If the Habs have no one notable left at 12, I can see them trading down like last year. Timmins does miracle work with his 2nds and thirds.

That being said, there have been rumours of the Habs trying to move up in the last few drafts, so I'm sure they'll try that again first.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Again , after Komisarek and Fisher they have nothing .

While Alzner is a stud .

The Habs can probably get Ellerby at #12. That would be a heck of a pickup. If Keaton isn't around at that time Gainey can grab a fallen forward (ie. Couture, Espo, Cherepanov, Mayorov,Gagner) and use his next 1st rounder on a d-man (Ross, Katic, Cross, Plante). Montreal should hold their picks and wait for some talent to drop - like they've been doing the last few years. If it ain't broke...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->