Guy Lafleur's and Pete Mahovlich's monster jump

statistics

Dec 29, 2006
Finland
1974-1975 Guy had 53+66 119 points. He was 23 years old. Before 1974-1975 season his career highs were 29+35 64 points.

1974-1975 Pete had 35+82 117 points. He was 28 years old. Before 1974-1975 season his career highs were 38 assists and 73 points.

What happened in 1974-1975?

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
In the case of Lafleur, maturity.

You yourself cited his age. With it came inexperience. After a few seasons he figured out the league...and never looked back.

Guys who step into the league and dominate from Day One are rare.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Expansion happened. Washington, California, and Kansas City gave every team something weak to prey on.

KOVALEV10*

1974-1975 Guy had 53+66 119 points. He was 23 years old. Before 1974-1975 season his career highs were 29+35 64 points.

1974-1975 Pete had 35+82 117 points. He was 28 years old. Before 1974-1975 season his career highs were 38 assists and 73 points.

Guy's blossoming certainly helped Mahovlich's point totals that year.

Ogopogo*

The Washington Capitals were definitely a Christmas present for both Lafleur and Mahovlich. As another poster mentioned, the NHL was in full throttle expansion mode and a little weakened by the WHA. It was prime time for scoring career highs.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
Guy changed his role and attitude: he switched to rightwing (from center; he was touted as the next Beliveau ) and took off his helmet.

Pete, a good passer, enjoyed having a superstar on his wing for a few seasons.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
The Washington Capitals were definitely a Christmas present for both Lafleur and Mahovlich. As another poster mentioned, the NHL was in full throttle expansion mode and a little weakened by the WHA. It was prime time for scoring career highs.
yep. THe WHA also had about 14 teams then. the talent pool was really stretched.

KOVALEV10*

They only had a few NHL caliber players on some teams

I will say this though..

after the big 3 obviously.. I havent seen a player more DOMINANT and more CLUTCH then Guy Lafleur from those 6-7 seasons in the mid 70-s early 80-s.

In my lifetime of course.

Rather Gingerly 1*

I will say this though..

after the big 3 obviously.. I havent seen a player more DOMINANT and more CLUTCH then Guy Lafleur from those 6-7 seasons in the mid 70-s early 80-s.

In my lifetime of course.

A lot of that was increased because he played on such a great team. He was on the Blues back then he would not have stood out as much

KOVALEV10*

A lot of that was increased because he played on such a great team. He was on the Blues back then he would not have stood out as much

As great a team as the habs were back then.. Guy Lafleur was at the HEART of their success.

If he was on some other team with no pressure of winning night in night out he mighve been even MORE productive.

That's how good this guy was. Too bad he smoked and drank and partied every night.

He could've been even better.

habfan1968

Dec 19, 2006
:clap: Guy was simply the best, the Habs were the comeback kings when he was in his prime, no lead was safe. I remember watching a game it was like 5 -1 going into the third against Terry O'Rielly and the rest of his team and I was gonna go to bed and my dad says "are you kidding?, Guy won't let us down just watch the rest of the game." we won.:clap:

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site

I disagree. In Montreal he had to share ice time with other very good RW's, plus in Bowman's system you had to play good two way hockey, or you would have a reduction in playing time. In St.Louis, he would likely have had more icetime, not have had as many defensive responsibilities and hence IMO he could have produced more.

IMO if the Habs had drafted Dionne instead of Lafleur, and Lafleur had ended up on the Wings/Kings, Lafleur would have had more career points and scoring titles than he ended up with, but Dionne would have the Cups.

Ogopogo*

I disagree completely.

Great players score no matter what the team, what the situation, what the linemates. Guy would have been one of the all time greats on the Blues, Canadiens or Seals.

(It would have been very interesting to see the Seals hang on to that pick and draft Lafleur. Perhaps the Seals would still be in the league and the Sharks would be in Houston????)

Rather Gingerly 1*

I disagree. In Montreal he had to share ice time with other very good RW's, plus in Bowman's system you had to play good two way hockey, or you would have a reduction in playing time. In St.Louis, he would likely have had more icetime, not have had as many defensive responsibilities and hence IMO he could have produced more.

IMO if the Habs had drafted Dionne instead of Lafleur, and Lafleur had ended up on the Wings/Kings, Lafleur would have had more career points and scoring titles than he ended up with, but Dionne would have the Cups.

Totally disagree...Lafleur would have had no linemates if he played on a bad team. He had the advantage of playing with Coco and Shutt.

Ogopogo*

Totally disagree...Lafleur would have had no linemates if he played on a bad team. He had the advantage of playing with Coco and Shutt.

Gretzky led the league in points with Callighen and BJ MacDonald on his wings. Mario topped 100 points each of his first 3 years with nobodies on his wings. Marcel Dionne scored 100 consistently with or without good wingers. Crosby and Ovechkin each hit 100 points as rookies with bad linemates.

The bottom line: Lafleur and any other legendary player would put up huge numbers no matter who is on their line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->