Gustav Nyquist

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I feel like 55 + 65 is probably about the cost to move up to about 40ish, which is around what I would want. I would do it.
I’d do that.
I don't think a 2nd, even a high one, is enough to push Holland into making a deal now. I think Nyquist could pull a 1st from someone, but not the sort of 1st Arizona is likely to have (no offense, the Wings are likely to pick pretty high, too). I think it'd cost a similar D coming back or a late 1st to get Nyquist over the summer.
How about 55+65?

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
For those of you that would like to see him moved, it sounds like you’re looking for futures, no?

I’d be glad to see the Coyotes pick him up for the right price. Domi and Strome need a RW better than Rinaldo on their line.

We don’t have our own 2nd this year. We’ve got Minnesota’s, though (55th). We do have our own 3rd (65th). Or if you don’t mind waiting, we’ve got our 2nd for the 2019 draft, still.

I know he’s got a NTC but we just picked up Kruger to go along with Hjalmarsson and OEL. These four have played together or team Sweden a bunch of times in various international tournaments over the years. Might have some influence. Maybe.

Thoughts?
How does 55 + Pierre-Olivier Joseph sound to you?

rt

May 13, 2004
How does 55 + Pierre-Olivier Joseph sound to you?
POJ was a 1st last year that’s progressing very nicely. Huge uptick in production and already wearing the C. I’d say he’s definitely increased his value. I certainly like him better than McIsaac or Wilde or those types. So I’d say he’s worth at least an early 20s pick. I think that’s a lot of value for Nyquist on the last year of a backloaded contract. Especially with the 2nd rounder in there.

Kyle Wood and the 55 would be tempting.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
POJ was a 1st last year that’s progressing very nicely. Huge uptick in production and already wearing the C. I’d say he’s definitely increased his value. I certainly like him better than McIsaac or Wilde or those types. So I’d say he’s worth at least an early 20s pick. I think that’s a lot of value for Nyquist on the last year of a backloaded contract. Especially with the 2nd rounder in there.

Kyle Wood and the 55 would be tempting.
Kyle Wood + 55 + your 6th rounder for Nyquist + Dylan McIlrath.

We need to clear up our logjam of D in GR so if we're bringing in an AHL D we need to send one the other way to even things out.

rt

May 13, 2004
Kyle Wood + 55 + your 6th rounder for Nyquist + Dylan McIlrath.

We need to clear up our logjam of D in GR so if we're bringing in an AHL D we need to send one the other way to even things out.
I would do that. A lot of folks on the AZ board don’t like the idea but we just burned a 7th overall pick on guys in their mid-late 20s a year ago. That was all for nothing if we don’t grab a couple more of them.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I’d do that.

How about 55+65?

It's probably fair value wise, but I still think Kenny holds out for a first just because he could probably "settle" for two seconds later and a first just has higher odds of being something while 2nd rounders just have higher fail rates.

My suggestion for Arizona: use the $5m you'd be giving Nyquist, and go after someone in UFA while hanging onto your other assets. Nyquist will turn 29 this fall, so it's not like he's a younger guy who can grow with you guys. Trading for him and signing Perron is really the same thing except Perron would get more term - though I'd assume you'd probably want to re-sign Nyquist, too. So term shouldn't matter, either.

Or, if he's willing to go, I think a guy like Filppula would be great for you guys. A little older, yeah, but a wealth of experience with going deep in the playoffs, he's versatile, and you could probably get less term on him than, say, Perron or Nyquist.

rt

May 13, 2004
Term matters because we don’t HAVE to re-sign Nyquist in this scenario. It’s rent to own. Perron our of Vegas might flop. He’s disappointed most of the teams he’s played for. We’d have to give him probably 30+ million dollars sight-unseen.

Vanek would be a great short term solution if we could convince him to take a huge overpayment on a one year deal. Same for Nash. Maybe if we offer to give one or the other a NMC and let them call their shot at the TDL, they could be convinced. That’s still a maybe, though.

Nyquist could potentially be a good short and longer term solution if both sides are happy. We can’t afford to guess wrong on UFAs because we have small budget. Stop gaps are fine, but I’m okay with losing some assets for real solutions. Why go out and get Stepan and Raanta and Hjalmarsson and Demers if we don’t at least try to keep getting better?

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Term matters because we don’t HAVE to re-sign Nyquist in this scenario. It’s rent to own. Perron our of Vegas might flop. He’s disappointed most of the teams he’s played for. We’d have to give him probably 30+ million dollars sight-unseen.

Vanek would be a great short term solution if we could convince him to take a huge overpayment on a one year deal. Same for Nash. Maybe if we offer to give one or the other a NMC and let them call their shot at the TDL, they could be convinced. That’s still a maybe, though.

Nyquist could potentially be a good short and longer term solution if both sides are happy. We can’t afford to guess wrong on UFAs because we have small budget. Stop gaps are fine, but I’m okay with losing some assets for real solutions. Why go out and get Stepan and Raanta and Hjalmarsson and Demers if we don’t at least try to keep getting better?

I'd do Minny 2nd, Dauphin, and Wood for Nyquist.

I figure a 2nd and two maybe's.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I’d consider it but Chayka was pretty miffed to lose Dauphin the first time and went through the trouble of reaquiring him. I’d be a little surprised if he let him go again.

Ok...

2nd, Dineen, 3rd.

You pick the years of the picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad