Gustav Nyquist

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Just like we don't and didn't miss Tatar, we won't miss Nyquist if he ever got traded. 40 pt player, (nothing else brought to table) playing with a HOF'er, what is he a 20 pt player without Z?

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
AA would be a lot better served as a center iceman. I know that may sound crazy, but here me out. Think about most of the chances that he gets they are off the rush. When AA is a centerman he is forced to come back further into his own zone which allows for him to receive passes in the middle of the ice in full stride. This also gives him the space that is necessary for him to attack flat footed players, and makes it near impossible for d-men to have good gaps. I think putting him in the 3 hole in the middle next year is the best thing for him. Give him responsibility to man his own line on an offensive third line. Kadri was once considered to be a terrible defensive forward and look where he is now. I'm not saying AA will be Kadri, but I do think AA if given a chance and the responsibility to man his own line, own his own line and play exclusively at center will allow him to develop. There are going to be growing pains that is without question, but I still truly believe that this could be the best move for AA and the team.

The goal against Philly really sticks out to me. Its a neutral zone regroup where he gets the puck at full speed and that turns into a breakaway. I envision him as this type of player, but if he's playing wing and getting pucks flat footed, and standing right next to there d-man he really isn't going to succeed. This is why I believe playing AA in the middle is the best thing for him and the team

Reactions: NickH8

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't see Nyquist moving this offseason unless someone offers up a Tatar-like overpayment and Nyquist is OK with waiving his NTC to go there. I also don't think it matters if they draft a winger that can step in now.

They probably wait to sell him to the highest bidder at next years deadline when he might be willing to go to more teams, and he'd carry less of a cap implication for the acquiring team.

I think if any forward is moved this offseason, it'll be AA.
I want Hughes next year so ideally you move Nyquist this off-season. Remember how Detroit was waiting to move Green at the TDL? We're not a good team, there is no reason to win meaningless games after the first of the year when all the other bad teams are positioning themselves for Hughes.

Move Gus now and prepare to draft your franchise player in the 2019 draft.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
AA would be a lot better served as a center iceman. I know that may sound crazy, but here me out. Think about most of the chances that he gets they are off the rush. When AA is a centerman he is forced to come back further into his own zone which allows for him to receive passes in the middle of the ice in full stride. This also gives him the space that is necessary for him to attack flat footed players, and makes it near impossible for d-men to have good gaps. I think putting him in the 3 hole in the middle next year is the best thing for him. Give him responsibility to man his own line on an offensive third line. Kadri was once considered to be a terrible defensive forward and look where he is now. I'm not saying AA will be Kadri, but I do think AA if given a chance and the responsibility to man his own line, own his own line and play exclusively at center will allow him to develop. There are going to be growing pains that is without question, but I still truly believe that this could be the best move for AA and the team.

The goal against Philly really sticks out to me. Its a neutral zone regroup where he gets the puck at full speed and that turns into a breakaway. I envision him as this type of player, but if he's playing wing and getting pucks flat footed, and standing right next to there d-man he really isn't going to succeed. This is why I believe playing AA in the middle is the best thing for him and the team

That would be a good idea. He can't learn to be a center if he doesn't play center.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
I want Hughes next year so ideally you move Nyquist this off-season. Remember how Detroit was waiting to move Green at the TDL? We're not a good team, there is no reason to win meaningless games after the first of the year when all the other bad teams are positioning themselves for Hughes.

Move Gus now and prepare to draft your franchise player in the 2019 draft.

I agree that that's ideal, but if the choice is between a mid-tier return and a better return near the TDL, I'd rather wait on the better return. Especially because the lottery odds are such a capricious mess.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I agree that that's ideal, but if the choice is between a mid-tier return and a better return near the TDL, I'd rather wait on the better return. Especially because the lottery odds are such a capricious mess.
That thinking bit us in the rear with Green. We're not talking Erik Karlsson level elite talent. There isn't a huge market for guys like Green or Nyquist. You're not going to maximize value by waiting. We lucked out with Tatar, to consider that a normal return is going to greatly limit your trade activity and ultimately your number of draft picks. Find a trade partner and get a deal done. No one is going to consider Gus Nyquist to be the final piece that puts them over the top to win a Stanley Cup. He's just a depth scorer who can play on your 2nd PP unit. No one's beating down your door for that guy.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
That thinking bit us in the rear with Green. We're not talking Erik Karlsson level elite talent. There isn't a huge market for guys like Green or Nyquist. You're not going to maximize value by waiting. We lucked out with Tatar, to consider that a normal return is going to greatly limit your trade activity and ultimately your number of draft picks. Find a trade partner and get a deal done. No one is going to consider Gus Nyquist to be the final piece that puts them over the top to win a Stanley Cup. He's just a depth scorer who can play on your 2nd PP unit. No one's beating down your door for that guy.

Can see the pros and cons for either case. If the right deal comes along and he's willing to waive his NTC, then by all means trade him asap.

Reactions: Winger98

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Just like we don't and didn't miss Tatar, we won't miss Nyquist if he ever got traded. 40 pt player, (nothing else brought to table) playing with a HOF'er, what is he a 20 pt player without Z?

We won't miss Nyquist, I agree. I love Zetterberg, he is still a great setup guy and super smart player. But he had 11 goals this year. 1 goal on the PP this year (with the most PP min). So not really sure he is the best guy to play with if you are looking for assists at this stage of the game.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
We won't miss Nyquist, I agree. I love Zetterberg, he is still a great setup guy and super smart player. But he had 11 goals this year. 1 goal on the PP this year (with the most PP min). So not really sure he is the best guy to play with if you are looking for assists at this stage of the game.
I think Rus will be perfect partner for Z , he is half sweed half American

Reactions: Konnan511

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Z is still our best playmaker with maybe Larkin ready to takeover. Z has always been more an assist guy, so Nyquist should have cruised to 25 goals. Z may be slower but his passing is still top rank.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

But then the question is ice time. Is he a top 6 center with Larkin? I think most of us are hoping for a better top 6 center. Does that make him line 3? If so, do you give him line 3 ice time, which he doesn't like? Or do you try to run 3 equal lines?

chris05

May 23, 2013
The goal against Philly really sticks out to me. Its a neutral zone regroup where he gets the puck at full speed and that turns into a breakaway. I envision him as this type of player, but if he's playing wing and getting pucks flat footed, and standing right next to there d-man he really isn't going to succeed. This is why I believe playing AA in the middle is the best thing for him and the teams.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really don't care where they play AA as long as he is on the ice. This is a bottom feeder team. If the wings are going to finish at the bottom of the standings and they will for many more years(the streak is alive).....the entertainment value associated with his distinctive style of scoring is pretty to watch and the wings fans would value this aspect more than watching a losing team attempt to score boring goals by some phoney players and the only thing they have to show for it is a last place finish.​

datsyukfan

Jul 5, 2007
But then the question is ice time. Is he a top 6 center with Larkin? I think most of us are hoping for a better top 6 center. Does that make him line 3? If so, do you give him line 3 ice time, which he doesn't like? Or do you try to run 3 equal lines?
To me looking at next year he’s a 3C and I have a balanced top 9. Something like:

Nyquist-Z-Bert
Mantha- Larkin- svech
Nielsen- AA- ras ( shift frans to the wing and I think he produces more offensively)
Helm-Glenny- Abby

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
Like Nyquist but trade him. One of few assets with value.

With Helm/Abdelkader/neilson locked up with no market value keep them all around till the next generation usurps them.

They are actually good placeholders for a rebuild because they compete hard to set tone for younger players but at the same time ensure a good draft position.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
Don't be surprised if Rasmussen gets that job.
This team loves to groom the players it likes.

Mantha played a lot with Z.
Larkin did in his rookie year.
AA almost never plays with Z.

I expect Rasmussen, if he makes the team, to play on Z's wing.

Bert will start with Z. I guarantee it, I don’t see how you see otherwise. It’s probably the most for sure thing about next seasons lines

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I see Nyqvist like Filppula was when he was signed in Tampa. Both the team and him need a change in scenery. If he can get DET a 2nd or 3rd + pick in the upcoming draft, even better, but he might be at a premium come the trade deadline.

GiuDiSta50

Sep 9, 2016
Montreal, QC, CAN

I see you’re writing about AA, eh (AAA)?!

Reactions: BinCookin

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
For those of you that would like to see him moved, it sounds like you’re looking for futures, no?

I’d be glad to see the Coyotes pick him up for the right price. Domi and Strome need a RW better than Rinaldo on their line.

We don’t have our own 2nd this year. We’ve got Minnesota’s, though (55th). We do have our own 3rd (65th). Or if you don’t mind waiting, we’ve got our 2nd for the 2019 draft, still.

I know he’s got a NTC but we just picked up Kruger to go along with Hjalmarsson and OEL. These four have played together or team Sweden a bunch of times in various international tournaments over the years. Might have some influence. Maybe.

Thoughts?

Big Ed

~
Feb 5, 2011
I feel like 55 + 65 is probably about the cost to move up to about 40ish, which is around what I would want. I would do it.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
For those of you that would like to see him moved, it sounds like you’re looking for futures, no?

I’d be glad to see the Coyotes pick him up for the right price. Domi and Strome need a RW better than Rinaldo on their line.

We don’t have our own 2nd this year. We’ve got Minnesota’s, though (55th). We do have our own 3rd (65th). Or if you don’t mind waiting, we’ve got our 2nd for the 2019 draft, still.

I know he’s got a NTC but we just picked up Kruger to go along with Hjalmarsson and OEL. These four have played together or team Sweden a bunch of times in various international tournaments over the years. Might have some influence. Maybe.

Thoughts?

I don't think a 2nd, even a high one, is enough to push Holland into making a deal now. I think Nyquist could pull a 1st from someone, but not the sort of 1st Arizona is likely to have (no offense, the Wings are likely to pick pretty high, too). I think it'd cost a similar D coming back or a late 1st to get Nyquist over the summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->