Gurianov - Anyone getting concerned?

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Is it too early to be concerned with Denis or is he a 20 year old still learning the game?

His rookie season was OK, but this year he has started very slowly (at least on paper) with zero goals in eleven games. Considering he's a goal scorer, this is obviously concerning. And again, it's one of these the things we've done alot here where you look at the players taken after Dallas in recent drafts and you're kind of like **** me another 1st round bust for the Stars.

Hintz is the more exciting pick from that draft to me now.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I think he started off slow last year. Not too worried yet. He is young and adjusting to a new country. Sometimes things take longer. Not like he would see time in Dallas anytime soon anyway. Bill is gonna leave him down like Honka.

Duffeldof

Jun 28, 2014
Season is still young and so is Gurianov. If he doesn't improve this season its of course dissapointing but I think next year is the year when he should at last really compete for NHL spot. It was Faksas 4th year after draft when he made the jump and this is Gurys third.

And BTW Guryanov has scored more points this season per game than last season. So if goal drought is only about bad luck, rusty start to the season he should be doing better than last year.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Not worried in the slightest. He isnt shooting the puck as much as I would like but he is passing really well. Texas is a dumpster fire right now and its weird because they have the talent to be a good team.

The most noticeable thing from his development is his PK ability that has progressed and his defensive awareness is good now. With his speed and the things I just mentioned I think he could easily play bottom 6 right now and that is likely his floor at this point. I would love to see him get a little more selfish and fire the puck because he has a quality shot but other than that he was seen as a guy needing 3-4 years before making the jump and he looks to be on that pace.

I actually low key hope Ritchie is out for a while and Gury gets a call up because I think he can offer everything Ritchie does but skate faster

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Not worried in the slightest. He isnt shooting the puck as much as I would like but he is passing really well. Texas is a dumpster fire right now and its weird because they have the talent to be a good team.

The most noticeable thing from his development is his PK ability that has progressed and his defensive awareness is good now. With his speed and the things I just mentioned I think he could easily play bottom 6 right now and that is likely his floor at this point. I would love to see him get a little more selfish and fire the puck because he has a quality shot but other than that he was seen as a guy needing 3-4 years before making the jump and he looks to be on that pace.

I actually low key hope Ritchie is out for a while and Gury gets a call up because I think he can offer everything Ritchie does but skate faster

Good info thanks. And I agree about the Ritchie scenario. Imagine Denis getting a chance with him out and running with it...

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Of course, I’m concerned. He had pedestrian numbers last season, but the positive spin was that he finished strong.

Now, he’s scoring even less and he’s only getting one shot a game. That’s pretty ugly. Reviews of his play are no better, unless he’s working on proving he’s a Milford man.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
The Guryanov pick is looking brutal with obvious selections Kyle Connor and Matt Barzal lighting up the NHL so far this year.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Sigh... Dallas, where prospects come to die
Not in this case, it was a bad pick from Day 1. He wasn't even projected to go above like 27-28 in his draft year and even more had him as a 2nd round pick.
That was a horrible reach at the time, and looks even worse with hindsight, if Connor or Barzal had busted we could have been like McDonnel and Crew saw something. But no, They have been and always were much better players

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Sigh... Dallas, where prospects come to die

Pretty much anyone here could have done a better job drafting than Nill. With each passing day it’s looking more and more like GMJoe was the better talent evaluator.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Meh i'm still giving it some time. This is the first year where the 2012 draft finally makes a major impact with Lindell , Faksa , Shore and Smith all playing somewhat major roles.

Guryanov was allways going to be a long-term project . We all knew that.

I mean the team badly need some scoring from the wing.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
At this point I just have to point out that I'm taking our AHL praspects production with a grain of salt and am starting to think we have a developmental issue in the org. Honkas confidence is shattered, gurianov looks a step behind from last year and Texas as a whole looks shaky as he'll when I watch them. Our AHL team is pretty trash and so is our NFL team right now. Management needs to do a better job supporting the players because there is a ton of underachieving players in the NHL and the AHL right now

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
Meh i'm still giving it some time. This is the first year where the 2012 draft finally makes a major impact with Lindell , Faksa , Shore and Smith all playing somewhat major roles.

Guryanov was allways going to be a long-term project . We all knew that.

I mean the team badly need some scoring from the wing.

I guess I just don't understand why the Stars reached on him if he was a project when the obvious choices were better. It's not even hindsight...it was a surprising pick at the time that now looks like a horrible one too.

I wish when Nill is on XM NHL Network or any kind of place where he is taking questions someone would ask him about these kind of picks and his thought process at the time. Not that he would give any kind of meaningful answer but just being called on it would be a start.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Apparently he's been a healthy scratch lately due to team issues that will not be made public.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad