Gulutz-end

redfire11

Jun 22, 2016
I think GG is a good coach and has a decent system but just not for the NHL; maybe the Canadian Women's Olympic Team.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
1. Meh. Long overdue.

2. A bag skate could prompt the players to start reacting instead of consistently overthinking things

3. They usually start poorly anyway so at least this time they'll have an excuse

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Can someone summarize what exactly Gulutzan's system consists of? My Flames buds are always going on about his system and how great it would work out if the players would actually follow it but none of them can actually explain it to me.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Posession system - players play their own game / style within that system and are allowed to improvise when deemed necessary / appropriate. Basically try and shoot the puck from high percentage areas.

Not the best system with a young team (questionable decision making at times) or a team with shaken confidence, which is why when it goes bad, it goes really bad. Its also why when the team is really feeling good, they really do well. Very bipolar in that sense.

Seems like he fully believes in demanding chemistry by keeping the same players together - to a fault. As others have and will mention, player usage is sometimes on the questionable side, but that also helps keep fresh legs and reduces injury.

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
I like his philosophies in playing a tight defensive game but allowing offensive creativity. but I'm getting really tired of the coach and the team's efforts.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The fact that we haven't played ourselves to at least 7 games above .500 with the easy schedule we've had so far is pretty concerning. This is the December we have ahead.

We have:
Vs Flyers L
@ Leafs SOL
@ Habs (who are surging atm) OTW
Vs Canucks W
@ Wild SOL
Vs Sharks L
Vs Preds L
@ Canucks W
Vs Blues W
Vs Habs L
@ Sharks SOL
@ Ducks L
Vs Hawks

Vs Kings, Ducks to ring in the New Year

We need to win at least 10 of those games to put us firmly back in a playoff position. But the way this team has played I expect us to go 8-7-0 at best. If GG goes under .500 in the coming 15 games, with 9 home games, then he should be fired
Crucial stretch of the season, and we are 4-5-3 so far. Nice.

Won 6 out of our last 17 since November 22nd

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I still don’t think we see him fired, but if Treliving wants to make a shake-up move it’s his best option. We have no 1st so retooling isn’t an option. It’s the middle of the season so finding a player swap is unlikely.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Easiest move for Treliving right now.
Not much you can do with what you have.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
At this point, as long as Cameron doesn't take over for the rest of the season I'd be fine with it

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If this continues for a little longer don't see how Treliving has much of a choice. This clearly isn't working.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If this continues for a little longer don't see how Treliving has much of a choice. This clearly isn't working.

Exactly. It is completely unacceptable. When a rookie C, a player who was being called a bust just a month ago and a 4th line energy guy are your best line for the last 3 weeks, you have a problem. This team isn’t supposed to be a fringe team, they are supposed to be a contender. It isn’t working, time to go in a different direction.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

Problem is Calgary waited too long to find a new coach. You let Gulutzan go, you what, let Dave Cameron run the show? Promote Huska? Go elsewhere.

Could you imagine Gallant with a team like this in front of him? He's making stars out of a very fringe Knights team.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Something's gotta give, easiest thing to do mid-season would be to fire the coaching staff, can't do much else considering we lack picks.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Told you. Bunch of softies, unwilling to compete. GG knows it but he cant fix it. Sound like he has no control/respect by the team.

If that's true, that's two coaches they've decided they don't want to play for in the span of two calendar years, which then again comes back to the players.

That said, I think it's more than just compete with this team right now.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm okay with them letting Gulutzan go. The players were making mistakes at the start of the season, and given how well things were working late last season, it was a distinct possibility that the players just weren't playing well. But half a season has gone by and good players are still doing stupid things every single game. To me, that speaks to either a lack of understanding or a lack of confidence in the system. Whether the system is good or not is irrelevant if the players can't or won't play it.

I think at this point, he's been given a fair shake, and it might be a good time to jumpstart the team.

Boomstick

Oct 29, 2003
St. Catharines, Ontario
Visit site
Not sure what to expect in management, but I pretty much know what to expect on the ice.
Something has to give. Logically the Coach is responsible for the team's performance. I don't know what's going to happen, but something has to give.
Trades are hard to get done these days....GG may be the fall guy.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If that's true, that's two coaches they've decided they don't want to play for in the span of two calendar years, which then again comes back to the players.

That said, I think it's more than just compete with this team right now.

Yeah the problem is more than coaching but you can't trade the whole team so GG is the fall guy for now

If BT can't fix it then he will be next

To me the core players are just not good enough

Monahan, Brodie and Hamilton lack character
Johnny is not strong enough for the whole season
Tkachuk too young
Bennett who knows

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
but guys, he's a players coach.

I'd take a gamble on Sutter at this point. He'd at least come in here and start whipping these guys around. I'd love to be wrong, but I don't think GG will turn this group around. Look at Adam Oates in the offseason.

For now though, major lineup shake, because let's face it, aside from the Jankowski line nothing is working

Gaudreau - Jankowski - Bennett
Tkachuk - Monahan - Hathaway/Jagr
Ferland - Backlund - Jagr/Hathaway
Lazar - Hrivik- Brouwer

Yes, I broke Benkowski away from Hathaway. I think Janks/Bennett will work well with just about anyone.

Optimistic note: It sucks that the Flames don't have their 1st, but Calgary has a lot of prospects that are doing really well right now, as well as some middle aged guys who might be able to make an impact. Hrivik could turn into a bottom 6 option. Klimchuk may not be strong offensively, but he's a smart defensive player. Mangiapane is looking great. Dube is solid. Then you have all the D prospects. Wotherspoon, Andersson, Kylington, Valimaki, Fox. Losing a top 10 pick would suck, but it wouldn't be the end of the world. I really really hope Poirier can find a way to rebound, because the Flames could really use his speed and shot. Besides, even if Calgary DID have it's 1st, they'd probably deal it for another RHD :P

I wouldn't be surprised to see one of Hamilton/Hamonic/Stone dealt in the offseason or at the deadline if they feel Andersson is truly ready.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->