Gulutz-end

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I've been waiting for Brodie to start clicking since last year.

Either he's just not the caliber of player defensively that we thought, or GG is utilizing him poorly. Sadly none of that will change.

I think it's pretty clearly this. Giordano was covering up his Defensive short comings (just as he's currently covering up Dougie's).

Reactions: Flames 1st pick

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah, I think a few of us touched on this before. Personally I am okay with Brodie leading in TOI, but he should not be leading in ES-TOI. I think it is time to allow Kulak-Stone to do a little more heavy lifting and take some of that off Brodie.

Exactly. No clue why we signed Stone to be a #5 at 3.5 per if we aren't going to use him to ease the load off the top 4 a bit.

Kulak has been solid, give him a few more minutes, he'll make mistakes, but it's the only way he'll grow more. Plus if we get another major injury on D he'd be more prepared to step up.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hey guys. Here is a little overview of Sheldon Keefe if you guys are thinking of a potential replacement
I think Sheldon Keefe is a very good coach. This is shown by his record as well as coaching overall. I agree he has had some good rosters at his disposal, but it seems he knows how to use them properly and effectively. Here are some stats from his time with the Marlies so far.
2015-2016
GFA: 3.87 (1st)
GAA: 2.51 (4th)

PP: 17.4% (10th)
PK: 84.0% (12th)
2016-2017

GFA: 3.22 (8th)
GAA: 2.72 (11th)

PP: 22.3% (4th)
PK: 81.8% (17th)

SFA: 30.72 (9th)
SAA: 28.47 (6th)
2017-2018
GFA: 3.26 (9th)
GAA: 1.91 (1st)

PP: 15.4% (24th)
PK: 89.3% (1st)

SFA: 30.26 (12th)
SAA: 28.91 (10th)
The Marlies play a puck possession style that focuses on discipline in all 3 zones. Discipline as in work ethic, and playing the way we want to play.
Grades on Coaching Aspects
System: 4.5/5
Accountability: 4.5/5
In Game Coaching: 4/5
Game to Game Coaching: 4.5/5
Communication: 4.5/5
Adaptibility: 4.5/5
Strengths
He seems to get a lot out of the players, and seems to handle young players well. He gives youngsters more leeway when they make mistakes, but if the mistakes continue to happen, he isn't afraid to limit their ice time or even bench them.
His teams are for the most part organized on the ice
He is incredibly honest. If he feels the team didn't play well, he will say it and won't sugarcoat the performance.
He will give players more ice time if he feels they are going in a certain game.
Weaknesses
For the 1st one and a half years, his team was sloppy in the defensive zone. Silly plays and turnovers, which got me annoyed as well. Then on Feb 22nd 2017, associate coach Gord Dineen who handled the defence was let go, and since then they have improved a lot.. At times they are still sloppy, but much less than before
In his 1st season, Keefe had this weird habit of starting TJ. Brennan in the defensive zone. Brennan is one of the top offensive d man in the AHL, but is a disaster defensively, so IDK why Keefe liked to play him there

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Hey guys. Here is a little overview of Sheldon Keefe if you guys are thinking of a potential replacement
I think Sheldon Keefe is a very good coach. This is shown by his record as well as coaching overall. I agree he has had some good rosters at his disposal, but it seems he knows how to use them properly and effectively. Here are some stats from his time with the Marlies so far.

No effing thanks.

If Keefe is the alternative I will stick with the god awful GG.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I remember hearing that the Flames had spoken with a coach in the Vancouver organization and being excited because I thought it was Travis Green.

Yup definitely picked the wrong guy

Reactions: Dack

Shawnofthedeadz

Jan 18, 2013
Just hope Gultz is gone soon. Since the beginning I have never liked him and his system. He doesn't seem to know how to get the top players going and certain players have continued to struggle under him (e.g. Brodie). Worse, his line up decisions at times seem questionable, he won't allow for hot players to have extended time and he appears really bad at making on the fly adjustments during games. Last year's run to make the playoffs equates more to fluke than skill in my mind. I know he was supposed to be the next big thing, a player's coach, but it really seems like a dud to me. Bring someone new already please.

While venting my frustrations with the team, I would really like to see Iron Mike make a comeback, if not just to make this team work hard and cry inside a little. I want a coach right now who will correct this sloppy, loose, and lackadaisically play.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I think Sheldon Keefe is a very good coach. T

Keefe was who I wanted before we hired Gulutzan, if anyone remembers.

However right now, if we make a coaching change, there is no doubt we have to hire an established coach at least for the rest of the season because we don't have the margin for an AHL guy to learn on the job as of today. It's gotta be a big name like MacLean, Sutter, Ruff, or Hartley. Or my personal preference Scott Niedermayer.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Keefe was who I wanted before we hired Gulutzan, if anyone remembers.

However right now, if we make a coaching change, there is no doubt we have to hire an established coach at least for the rest of the season because we don't have the margin for an AHL guy to learn on the job as of today. It's gotta be a big name like MacLean, Sutter, Ruff, or Hartley. Or my personal preference Scott Niedermayer.
Yeah it might be best for you guys to hire an experienced coach. With that being said, but I think Keefe might be a good match for the roster you guys have.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Yeah it might be best for you guys to hire an experienced coach. With that being said, but I think Keefe might be a good match for the roster you guys have.

Nobody associated with that POS David Frost would be a good fit for anything.

Sep 13, 2009
Fire him! Fire him before it's too late. The Flames need a no-nonsense coach - Darryl Sutter, Lindy Ruff, Mike Keenan, Bob Hartley - not laissez faire Gulutzan. Nice hair though!

Last edited:

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Nobody associated with that POS David Frost would be a good fit for anything.

That was what 20 years ago? Some people need to accept that was in the past and forget about it. Keefe has also closed that chapter in his life.

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
Ruff would be my guy at this point, dutter will run this teams already anemic offense to the ground

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This guy credible?

I think he posts on here.

As for the tweet it is so vague and has the 3 "easiest" candidates to list that I am not going to say it is BS that he is "hearing" that but think there is around a 0% of it actually being true.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ruff would be my guy at this point, dutter will run this teams already anemic offense to the ground
Ruff works as an assistant with the Rangers, he would need their permission to even interview and I think that is unlikely to be granted mid-season.

I totally forgot Tippett was unemployed. I don't want him, but with his ties to Treliving and Maloney, he could very easily be their guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad