Gulutz-end

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I think that, if by the 20 game Mark the team is still falling short in very obvious ways and the usage of the lines stays inexplicably the same, this team should fire gulutzan. My preference is for Darryl Sutter, but are there any other coaches out there we should be taking long looks at?

No nhl caliber coach would play brouwer-stahan-glass more than bennett-janko-versteeg in a game. Not even going to touch the special teams.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Went into season thinking this give or take

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Versteeg-Monahan-Jagr
Stajan-Jankowski-Lazar
Brouwer
Familton

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone
Wotherspoon

the above is a roster that should be contending for the president's trophy. A shutdown line. A speedy skilled line. Monahan sniping soft comp with some playmakers. Jankowski coming in and playing his game eventually forcing Versteeg or Frolik down the lineup.

The only game we have score over 3 goals was the one where Bennett centered Gaudreau, allowing Versteeg and Monahan to capitalize elsewhere. The only games where our bottom pair haven't been a blatant liability have been the ones Kulak played (All... three of them.). And the only games where Bennett's line has looked dangerous have been when he plays with guys who can receive and execute a damn pass (Gaudreau, Jagr, Jankowski).

Enough is getting to be enough - the above is beyond easy to fix. Someone please email the above lines to our coach so we can hold his hands into easily winning the west.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I don't see how that line-up gets any different results than the current one.

The 2nd and 3rd lines (as listed) still struggle to score because Monahan and Gaudreau have to do so much heavy lifting to carry the other members of their line.

The bottom pairing is still terrible because Kulak is not an upgrade on Bartkowski at all. The 4th line is still an offensive blackhole as well.

The team would still be reliant on Gaudeau, Monahan and Tkachuk creating individually but would now lose the Gaudreau/Monahan chemistry limiting their usefulness.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I just dont see the logic in how we run our special teams. Who's the triggerman on the 1st unit? Why do we have a bunch of pass first guys there? Why is Monahan this pivot that gets easily taken out of the equation? Why do we completely collapse on the PK and let the other gain the zone so easily? Why do we lose screen in front of Smith so often and let him get a quick rebound?

This is what pains me. Because in a league with this much parity, special teams will routinely decide if you win or lose on the night

Reactions: Flameshomer

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The Scroll of Truth 28102017101345.jpg

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I just dont see the logic in how we run our special teams. Who's the triggerman on the 1st unit? Why do we have a bunch of pass first guys there? Why is Monahan this pivot that gets easily taken out of the equation? Why do we completely collapse on the PK and let the other gain the zone so easily? Why do we lose screen in front of Smith so often and let him get a quick rebound?

This is what pains me. Because in a league with this much parity, special teams will routinely decide if you win or lose on the night

The 1st PP unit make-up is baffling to me. One guy on the unit that can shoot (Monahan) means they can key on him because they can all play off the other 4 guys. I can kind of see the logic of creating the unit with the passers hopefully opening up the ice with puck movement and Monahan sniping shots from the slot but now that it clearly doesn't work how is it not changed up?

I mean Tkachuk doesn't have a rocket of a shot but him replacing Brouwer you don't lose any of the net front presence and it at least adds another shot to that the Pkers have to respect. And of course the obvious move of Hamilton for Brodie and any d-man for Versteeg.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Paul MacLean. His system plays a high tempo possession system. Sens were constantly top 5 in corsi generation under him, albeit his teams give up a ton of chances as well. Still I think he'll fit this group very well especially with our mobile core, Smith's puck playing, mobile D, and of course 3M line and Gaudreau's transitioning. Our defense is good enough to play a high risk system like his, but unlike Hartley's, his system actually generates an insane amount of chances.

Reactions: Flameshomer

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I made a thread calling out all our coaches a few weeks ago and people (some) laughed and said, " yeah it's not a reaction to the loss, LOL".

Gulutzan has never been a good coach, his systems are awful, his special teams are a joke, his player usage is atrocious, his ice-time management is a complete joke and now it seems he has lost the room (my opinion anyway based on them looking like ass playing Dallas after being called out publicly).

No player has exceeded with Gulutzan, only declined. As much as I disliked Hartley because of the no d-zone coverage, he got the best out of Monahan, Bennett and Gaudreau, etc.

Gulutzan sucks and should be fired now befroe we waste too much of the season.

I'm for bringing in Darryl Sutter if he would come back to coaching.

Reactions: RedHot

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
In all honesty, with the way our team is setup, Keenan wouldn’t be bad. He would get the most out of top players. We would just need someone tactical for the special teams lol.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Glen seems like a nice guy and that may be his down fall, I agree with JPeeper, that this coaching staff has lost the locker room and respect of the players.

The in game decisions and the PP units are just brutal(I wont go into it because we all know.) I would give Glen and this coaching staff the 20-25 game mark because that is the point of no return, to turn it around.

As for the coaches that would be good for this team, I think Darryl Sutter, Alain Vigneault(if he is let go by the Rangers) could be good fits, the Flames really missed the boat on Gerard Gallant.

Some of the blame has to be on the players as well but I think a good coach would get a more out of Sam Bennett, the 3rd line, the PP and just more out this team overall. The reason I want a change to be made sooner than later is because we don't have our first pick this year.

If there is a new coach when ever, he should have the chance to bring his own assistants coaches and not be saddled with crap we have now.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I'd ride out the season regardless. Let's the players know they need to take responsibility. Plus I'm wary of turning into the Oilers, constantly changing coaches.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I coudn't endure a Sutter era again. We had that for damn near 20 years. Snoozefests, no goals, muckers delights.

Time for an era of scoring and skill. I thought we were heading in that direction. I'll wait until after American Thanksgiving before I let er rip further.

Reactions: Lazar Beams

crazyfisherman

Sharangovich fanboy
Sep 22, 2012
we dont need sutter... we dont score enough goals at it is. i just dont see any coach out there that can wake up our offense while playing good D

Reactions: Lazar Beams

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Went into season thinking this give or take

Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Gaudreau-Bennett-Ferland
Versteeg-Monahan-Jagr
Stajan-Jankowski-Lazar
Brouwer
Familton

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone
Wotherspoon

the above is a roster that should be contending for the president's trophy. A shutdown line. A speedy skilled line. Monahan sniping soft comp with some playmakers. Jankowski coming in and playing his game eventually forcing Versteeg or Frolik down the lineup.

The only game we have score over 3 goals was the one where Bennett centered Gaudreau, allowing Versteeg and Monahan to capitalize elsewhere. The only games where our bottom pair haven't been a blatant liability have been the ones Kulak played (All... three of them.). And the only games where Bennett's line has looked dangerous have been when he plays with guys who can receive and execute a damn pass (Gaudreau, Jagr, Jankowski).

Enough is getting to be enough - the above is beyond easy to fix. Someone please email the above lines to our coach so we can hold his hands into easily winning the west.

I agree with you that they need to make the changes but your hyperbole on the president stuff if hilarious...:D

Bennett has proven he does not have the brain to be a NHL center
Jank has shown nothing at this level...he is one of those guys that will be a career in development
Kulak is barely an NHLer

For the Flames to succeed, the Monahan, Gaudreau, Backlund, Tkachuk, Hamilton, Geo, Brodie have to step up and play out of their mind

The bottom lines need to play with energy and contribute that is including Bennett but to think him, Jank or Kulak as the difference is just too funny

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think we should wait to see if Vigneault pops loose. Someone like that who’s won a lot of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->