Guillaume Latendresse vs Bobby Ryan

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
Using your categories, I would say Corey Perry was a #2 (just for reference).

But I disagree with some of what you've said about Bobby Ryan.
Since my opinion hasn't changed, here's what I posted on the Ducks board back in mid-September when we had our own discussion about Ryan:
There are really two concerns with Ryan and they each go hand in hand. Yes, his skating isn't the greatest, but I believe a lot of that can be addressed by improving his general conditioning. He's gotten in trouble before for not being in the best shape (leading to nagging long-term injuries, like his leg problem last season).
I've heard a lot from a number of sources about how Ryan was working hard to be in the best shape of his life for this camp, but apparently the results aren't there. I'm not intimately familiar with his training program, nor do I know how hands-on the Ducks are with what his fitness and nutrition. But I think that could be a huge factor in the problem. Maybe he is fit and he's just not training properly? Bigger isn't always better...
Obviously, the bigger you are, the more hockey player you have to lug up and down the ice. Ryan was a pretty big boy when he was drafted and he's probably put on five pounds since then. I'm not sure if it's all muscle or not, but simply being that bulky must make it difficult to try to train the legs to be explosive and help improve his skating.

I don't know how many people were impressed with his conditioning at draft time. It was noted that he was a big kid and maybe had some unneeded mass on him. I think even the term 'baby fat' was bandied about. I do know that Ryan is aware of these issues and is working hard on them.

NewHabsEra*

Just asking: In your view, Latendresse >> Steve Bernier?

Right now Bernier is better no doubt, Latendresse will take at least one full season to adjust to the NHL speed but in the long run Latendresse will be better... Bernier is 2 years older while Tender never played in the Pro level before..

I saw Latendresse outplayed Bernier about 2 or 3 years ago in the "Q" playoffs.. Lats was 16 or 17 years old, Bernier 18 or 19.. Latendresse was a dominating physical force, using his body perfectly to protect the puck, crashing the net, playing a real PF game while Bernier was more fancy and less physical.. Both stood out from their respective team but Tender was more dominant physically... Bernier had the chance to make the jump to the NHL sooner than expected due the trade involving Thorton and a couple of Sharks wingers... He started with 2 of the best centers of the NHL in Marleau and Thorton and quickly blossomed as a solid winger in the NHL... Well, Latendresse has no Marleau, no Thorton and is playing for a team where every game is a must win, there is a ton of pressure coming from everywhere and Lats should take at least one season to feel confortable and possibly at least 2 to become a dominant player in the NHL... One thing Im sure, his potential is huge and if he develop properly, will become one of the best PF in the game.

When was the last 19 years old kid to make the Habs team? I personally dont remember any 18 years old kid that had close the impact he had last year during the camp.. Making the Habs at 19, considering how stacked and solid we are up front, its certainly quite impressive...

Last edited by a moderator:

12 oz Papa*

A lot here say Bobby Ryan's skating can be fixed.

No. Not completely. This kid is the slowest skater I personally have ever seen. A TON of work will be needed for him to become an average skater.

Fact is, the "new" NHL requires SPEED. Not just good hands. Even awesome hands doesn't get you much if I walk faster than you skate.

And I'm a Ducks fan.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
He said STACKED AT WING.

And they are.

Montreal is weak at centre, weak at Defense, but STACKED AT WING.

Nothing ridiculous about the statement.

There are so many "rabid montreal hating fans" that it is natural that Habs fans defend their team.

Outside of Kovalev, Samsonov, and Ryder (who are all nice top 6 players) tell me who else makes them "stacked at wing"?

Johnson?

Transported Upstater

Right now Bernier is better no doubt, Latendresse will take at least one full season to adjust to the NHL speed but in the long run Latendresse will be better... Bernier is 2 years older while Tender never played in the Pro level before..

So basically, Latendresse is better because he's younger?

Also, Bernier can't improve either as he gets older? He's pretty young as well, and he could very well maintain a development curve comparable or greater to Latendresse's.

You absolutely cannot say for certain that Latendresse will be better in the long run than Bernier.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Outside of Kovalev, Samsonov, and Ryder (who are all nice top 6 players) tell me who else makes them "stacked at wing"?

Johnson?

Stacked may be a strong word, if he meant stacked at wing in terms of how the Habs depth is mainly on the wings, then yes the Habs are stacked at the wing relative to their team, not necessarily relative to the rest of the league.

Either way, I think you're making a big deal out of one word. 'stacked':dunno: ...

However, I agree with what you're saying, the Habs have a pretty good top 6 IMO, not elite, just above average.

It's kind of funny you listed Kovalev, Samsonov and Ryder as wingers, becaue IMO Chris Higgins is the Habs best winger.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
All this conversation about which team is more stacked is all kind of pointless until we at least find out if Latendresse actually made the team and we won't know that for another 5 games, as the Habs can still return him to juniors. And even then, until Latendresse actually does something in the NHL, I don't really see it as a major selling point in favor of him. It could just be that Anaheim develops their prospects a little more carefully than Montreal.

Also, comparing top sixes is completely meaningless when you stop to notice that Latendresse isn't playing in the top six. He's averaging 8:24 of playing time per game, only Downey (the 13th forward) averages fewer minutes. If you want to compare who has the better 4th line options to determine which team is harder to make, be my guest, but until Latendresse starts playing above the fourth line, who has the better top six, or even top nine, is wholely irrelevent. If you're going to try to figure out which team is harder to make, compare who is harder to beat for a 4th line spot, Todd Fedoruk or Downey/Garth Murray.

Last edited:

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site

Johnson?

Although i'm not going to comment about the whole thread. 1. Because i dont know Ryan enough. and 2. because i think it would be too hard to judge even if i did know Ryan enough.

I'll just say you really havent watch the habs AT all this year if you are leaving Higgins off that top 6 players list. He's been EASILY the best winger for the habs this year (Ryder deserve a mention also).

At this point into the season (aka very short time), Higgins is a top6 forward on every single team in the nhl right now. NO EXCEPTION.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

Johnson?

Chris Higgins, Andrei Kostitsyn(Nhl ready, no room).... you know what, why don't you do us a favor and don't post anywhere near habs related

i said stacked AT WING!

AT WING!

AT WING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this wasn't a habs vs ducks team thread, and it wasn't about who has the best forwards neither, it was about who will have the best carrer, numbers or impact on his team, Latendresse or Ryan

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
This thread is Pejorative Slured.

And I actually thought that Higgins was playing Center. My mistake.

Still nowhere near "stacked".

Unless the Habs players all have large breasts.

habsfan89

Aug 2, 2006

Johnson?

Higgins will surpris you you don't even know how much.

i would not be surprised if he he scores 35 and get near of 70 points if he can stay with koivu and ryder all year without injuries on that line. I know i'm a habs fan but thats realistic.

habsfan89

Aug 2, 2006
i forgot pere. when he will put one in this year it won't stop this huy have unbeliavable skills that he match with work ethic (not last years but this years he does)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->