Guillaume Latendresse vs Bobby Ryan

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Pax Macioretty, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Pax Macioretty

Pax Macioretty Registered User

Home Page:
    Both powerforward prospects are now rated 8.5c, Latendresse is playing in the NHL on a already stacked team at wing while Ryan is looking to own the OHL and the WJC this year, who do you guys think will have the best career, one looks to be more physical while the other has bigger wheels

2. *gets popcorn*

3. hockeyfan125

hockeyfan125 Registered User

who is more physical? If you mean Latandressse.. then saying Ryan has better wheels is laughable.

He is one of the worst skating top 5 picks in quite some time.

4. Timeless Winter

Timeless Winter Save the Crew

Machinist
    I like Ryan a tad more.

5. AnThGrt

AnThGrt Registered User

As a Kings fan I would say Bobby Ryan. He still has some to work on, and Latendresse is ahead of him for now.....

6. waffledave

waffledave waffledave, from hf

Software Developer
    I don't like Bobby Ryan at all. I think it was a huge mistake to draft him over JJ. Huge. I wouldn't even have put him in the top 5.

7. OrrNumber4

OrrNumber4 Registered User

Doctor
    Sure, Ryan may not have great skating, but Anaheim has a history of fixing that problem in their prospects. They probably have a great skating coach with a unique skating program. Ryan has great offensive instincs though, and I can't recall him having skating issues.

8. NewHabsEra*

NewHabsEra* Guest

Bobby Ryan will be a better Steve Bernier..

To me, when you talk about a PF, the player instantly coming to my mind is Todd Bertuzzi... Well, if there is one kid looking almost exactly like Bertuzzi, its Latendresse.. Sure Lats has alot of work to do to become as good as big Bert, but style talking, alot of similarities...

Im fine with Latendresse as a Habs, I personally wouldnt trade him for Boby Ryan.

9. LeMAD

LeMAD Registered User

Home Page:
    Threads should get an automatic lock if the word Latendresse is in the title.

For the record: Latendresse = Bertuzzi (without the talent).

10. CaptainShark

CaptainShark Registered User

Just asking: In your view, Latendresse >> Steve Bernier?

11. rick1042

rick1042 Registered User

Although a lot of people disagree with me in Montreal, but I really think the Habs should have returned Latendresse to his junior team. Right now he seems very timid on the ice to me. This could be because of his lack of playing time, the fact that he is not a very quick skater and therefore has trouble getting involved in the game and/or that he is simply in over his head. I know its very early in his career and his play could improve as the year goes by, but my feeling is that it won't, this is why I think that in the long run, Bobby Ryan will be a better prospect. When he graduates to the NHL, he will be ready.

One thing though, an NHL player who does not skate very well will have a much tougher time in the new NHL in my opinion.

12. Whitesnake

Whitesnake How many years?

Automation & Robotics
    In my view, while Bernier has 2 years ahead of development I would go with Bernier, mostly because of his hockey sense and overall game. I think Lats once at ease, and on the top 3 lines, will do a good job offensively, that could come close to Bernier's, though Bernier is playing with 2 elite guys, something Lats will not have unless he's playing on Koivu's line.....

But Lats will also need to prove that he's somewhat OK defensively and without the puck something he still is trying to adjust....

But any tries to blast Lats 'cause he ain't doing anything thus far while Bernier is having a great beginning of season, would mean nothing especially knowing that Bégin and Downey are probably worst than Michalek and Marleau, don't you think???

13. CaptainShark

With "just asking" I actually was trying to point out that this indeed was a question and that I was not trying to make a "hidden" statement...

I can´t compare the two as I have never seen Latendresse play so far. I heared some Q-games via radio back when his team was playing vs Moncton in the playoffs (was listening to hear about Bernier who was back in Moncton back then) and that´s when Latendresse caught my eye (or better ear :D), as he was a beast in that series. I started to follow him more and I loved his scouting-reports (living in Germany I obviously wasn´t able to see him play :() and hoped the Sharks would pick him in the draft. His scouting reports reminded me of Bernier who I loved from day 1 we picked him...

14. Garp

Garp Registered User

In fact, I have seen a lot of the two players (I've even played against Bernier) and I think they are really different player. Bernier is more of a big skilled player then a tru PF (and that's not a knock on him). He use his size, but (and I only saw him in Juniors) does'nt throw his body around. On the other hand, Latendresse hits hard but doesn't have the same magic around the net (tough he has really good hands).

15. CaptainShark

While I haven´t seen Latendresse, I have seen alot of Bernier in the NHL. Maybe his game has changed from juniors. While I would not say he is the typical power forward, he actually does throw a lot of big hits, mostly while finishing his hit on the forecheck. He doesn´t go for huge open ice hits like an Owen Nolan used to do, but he plays a very physical brand of hockey.

On a sitenote: In the Sharks last game vs. Vancouver he literally powered through a Canuck defender along the boards which gave him an opportunity to cut to the net and pull a nice move... Too bad Luongo made the save, would have been a brilliant goal :)

16. Monument

Monument Start The Shooting

Professional Crastinator
    Home Page:
    Superroyain10 said it best when he pointed out that Anaheim has a knack of fixing skating problems... Both Getzlaf and Perry were average skaters - moreso Getzlaf - when they were drafted, and both of them are WORLDS better now.

The edge goes to Ryan in this one. Ryan is a pure goal scoring power forward. His dissapearing act at the 06 WJC left scouts, and some people, including myself dissapointed. He was invisible, and didn't play physically at all. The bigger ice surface exposed how bad his skating really is. His skating needs a lot of work for him to get to the NHL level.

As for Latendresse, great prospect, but he maxes out as a 2nd line power forward/grinder if you ask me. He's got the talent to score 20, maybe 30 goals, but he won't get those goals from pure skill, he'll get them from hard work and getting his nose dirty. He just doesn't have the hands or the finishing instincts that Ryan has, which is why Ryan went #2 overall behind Crosby. Burke knew what he was doing. A future line of Getzlaf-Ryan-Perry will be ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATING.

17. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    I think Ryan is still a significantly better prospect than Latendresse. The gap has of course narrowed somewhat between their draft-day #2 and #45 spots respectively, but I still don't think there's much of an argument to be made for putting Latendresse ahead. Although like I said in a thread a few weeks back about them and Neal, it'll definitely be an interesting set of comparisons to monitor over the next few years, given some of the similarities the players have, particularly with regards to overcoming skating deficiencies.

(And the bottom line belief I have is that Ryan's skating will never in any way hold him back. He has carried a lot of mass from a fairly young age, and he has always managed to excel without needing to work on his speed. When the time comes for him to keep up at the NHL level, he'll do it, just as Latendresse is doing now.)

18. Buffalo87

Buffalo87 thehosers dot com

Wait so let me get this straight...you're calling Montreal a "stacked" team and then referring to Ryan and basically saying he couldn't even make the Ducks. If either team is the stacked team, it's definitly Anaheim and it's very understandable that Ryan was send back down to juniors.

As for the question, I have to say I haven't seen much of either but based on what I have seen I'd go with Bobby Ryan but not by much.

19. Frolov 6'3

Frolov 6'3 Unregistered User

You can add Lupul.

Latendresse hasn't impressed me (yet), outside of some physical play.

20. Kafka

Kafka Registered User

student
    Home Page:
    We'll know it in 5 years! Still, according to what I could read, it seems Ryan will be better (and that comes from someone who is in touch with the Latendresse family).

21. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers White guilt milquetoast piece of human garbage. Sponsor

Corporate Drone
    Agreed completely.

Anaheim is a bonafide Cup contender.

Montreal is a bonafide playoff contender.

HUGE difference.

The vote, from me, goes to Ryan in a landslide.

22. Rattray

Rattray Registered User

Home Page:
    Anaheim is a bonafide Cup Contender because of their back end......nothing to do with their crop of forwards.

One could easily argue the fact that the Habs might have better forwards than the Ducks.....if thats the case, Latendresse wins, because he cracks that lineup at the tender age of 19.

I watched Bobby Ryan play live, vs the Nucks in Exb. His skating was dreadful and he was sucking wind like a fat kid on the backcheck.

So with that, Ill vote for Gui. (= Bertuzzi with a work ethic)

23. Hunter Gathers

Corporate Drone
    Anaheim has a pretty great group of forwards. I'd take them over Montreal's group any day of the week.

Ryan would be on the 4th line in Anaheim. Why waste him there when he can learn more in juniors?

24. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Registered User

Home Page:
    I can't wait till the habs play the rangers, you'll have a better idea of montreal group of forwards.

I won't say that we have a clear-cut better forward team than the ducks but we are as good as them if not slightly better IMO!

25. Hunter Gathers

Corporate Drone
    What's that supposed to do? Scare me? Our defense is awful. Any group of forwards could score on it right now with the state it's in.

I don't see how your forwards are better. At all. Anaheim has better top 2 lines. The 3rd and 4th lines are similar in the fact that the players are just mediocre.