Guelph Storm 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part One)

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Ouch. Joseph Woll was out over 2 months with that injury, although not sure whether it's the same severity. I just know that can be a tough injury, especially for goalies.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Some thoughts heading into the post-season....

With just five 20+ goal scorers, everybody is going to need to be on their game. Alriksson is heating up at the right time and finished the season with 17 goals.

Namestnikov has been in a bit of a lull re: goal scoring, hopefully that turns around for the playoffs.

It's not turning into the year that was expected, but it's not over yet.

I feel solid, even with BUG Slavik in the net. It's a trial by fire in his rookie year but I think he could out perform SSM in net.

Our defense, minus Hislop, should be right where we want it if Allen is back at 100%. Beauschesne will be relied upon perhaps more than is ideal for a rookie, but with Budnick and Romeo in addition to Buchinger/Allen, in-game adjustments should make us solid on D as well.... (I'm looking at you coach).

Paquette was made for playoff hockey. This season he's had more of a scoring touch, lets hope that continues.

Luchanko is Luchanko, hope he sticks around for a couple more seasons before graduating.

Bowman, fantastic leader/player.

Karabela will need to be on top of his game for the defensive zone faceoffs and will be relied upon to score as well.

Shorten the bench, stay healthy, and Wiseman.... have an in-game plan for multiple scenarios please.

Reactions: Living Vicariously

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
I asked this in our forum too, can Slavik realistically carry the Storm on his shoulders?

Can he win the series/carry the team on his back? No.

Is he a solid OHL tendie who wasn't really getting the opportunity behind Gillespie? Yes.

I think it will be good for him.

JRHockeyBUZZZ

Mar 28, 2024
Happy Playoff Gameday!! Game 1 Between the (3rd) Soo Greyhounds an (6th) Guelph Storm.
Series is set to kickoff at 7:07 tonight at the GFL Memorial Gardens. Soo's record vs the Storm this year is 3-0-1 While the Storm sit 1-3-0. Most recent meeting was at the gardens on March 8, Soo took that by a score of 3-1.

This series is the tale of an old fashioned debate.. Offense or Defense? Greyhounds are coming into the Post Season carrying 10 different 40 Point getters. While Guelph comes in with 5. Guelph comes in with a strong Blue line bolstering the big 3 of Buchinger, Allen & Romeo. Guelph is lead up front by Draft eligible London, ON Native, Jett Luchanko whos put up 74 points in his 68 Games. Braeden Bowman the overage captain for Guelph is going to be relied upon heavy at times for his experience as well as his ability to find the back of the net. Bowman lead the storm with 37 Goals this season. Charlie Paquette is an interesting player to keep an eye on as he has put up 8 Points in his previous 9 games. The Big question for the Storm is goaltending. Gillespie did not travel up North with the team, So it looks like for at least Games 1&2 We will be looking @ Slovak goalie Damian Slavik; Slavik played 23 Games has a 3.05 GAA & .891 Sv% a record of 10-6-3.

On The other side for the Hounds; they will be looking to their 85 Point man Jack Beck to continue his ways into the post season. Gavin Hayes and his experience coming over from Flint where he has had some deep play-off runs, Plus add in his 40 Points in 28 Games.. Bryce McConnell-Barker who is just under a point per game this season looks to continue his pace into this post season and help propel this team to the promise land.. aka Saginaw Michigan in May..

Greyhounds will likely turn to Schenkel in net who backstopped these same Hounds to a win against Guelph just a few weeks ago where he stopped 23 out of the 24 shots sent his way.

My prediction for this series is as follow; The series will playout tighter than what most believe- I think Guelph will be able to steal some games and play stingy enough defensively that the Soo firepower is suppressed for long stretches. I Believe if Guelph is able to take 1 of 2 on the road and bring it back to the Sleeman at 1-1 we could See Gillespie return. With that being said i think the Greyhounds are too deep upfront I believe the Soo Greyhounds will take out the Storm in 6 games.

Good luck to both teams & Both fan bases! Should Be fun!

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
That game was a heartbreaker.

The BMB goal where he skated in without anyone on him and tapped in the puck no one else saw, and the goal sitting at the goal line behind Schenkel that no one could tap in.... the difference makers.

I hope the players shake it off and bring it again Saturday night.

Fischhaber

Sep 3, 2014
Ryan McGuire sure hurt you guys tonight. He came prepared for a boxing match and stumbled into a hockey game. Lots of dumb, unnecessary penalties, and missed defensive assignments as he was more interested in mixing things up.

Flyers 1st

Oct 12, 2015
What did Max do in game 1 to warrant 4 game suspension? Nothing on game sheet , so was it post game?

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Wonder if the Storm GM sends a tape of Fantino's hit in the first on Beachesne? Refs call it five then let him off scott free.
Refs are totally incompetent not only in junior but in pro too. Not sure if it's all the challenges thrown at them or the speed of the game is passing them by.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00