Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Just stay where you are & play Sarnia ! :nod:

I’d still like to see the Storm draw Kitchener for first round, for reasons different than Farwell stated a couple of days ago. He claimed he’d like the Rangers to face the Storm so that it would be a short travel distance and then they would see where the second round would go with respect to travel. I’d like to see it because I think that’s the best shot the Storm have of moving beyond the second round - a long shot, mind you, but attainable.

Great third period tonight, and Poppy gave them the opportunity to fight back. I was happy not to see any of that 5 on 5 box, stick waving “defensive” formation in their own end that we’ve been seeing for a lot of the last 10 games or so. I’d like to see more urgency from the get-go instead of playing the patient, try-and-control-the-pace game that has also been painfully apparent for the majority of the last 10 games. Get back to run and gun right off the hop. When they were pressing the forecheck they gave the Rangers fits. I still agree with Stormsurge that they should swap Merkley and McEwan - damage could be done with that coaching move, but I don’t expect it to happen. Too bad, as Merk snuck in there quietly to pot the Poirier feed for that first goal. Nice to see Hillis back tonight - he was definitely missed.

I laughed when I got to my vehicle and put on the abbreviated Rangers post-game show. Farwell was grumbling lightly about the three stars and how they put too much emphasis on the outgoing 3 OAs, since they’d already honours them in the pre-game ceremony. They’ve been doing that for the last regular season game for years Mikey - let it go! It’s not like these kids get a new car for leading the 3 star standings. I’m sure payback on the selection will happen back in Kitchener.

Reactions: storm surge

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
The impact Hillis has on this lineup can't be stated enough. He had some Fabbri-esque moments tonight, from crawling out of board battles and emerging with the puck to quick shots on goal instead of wasting a chance. Great pass to Merkley on the game winning goal.

I really don't understand what's going on with Merkley. Half the time he looks injured, barely lifting his feet off the ice and making weak passes, then he'll explode out of nowhere taking full strides and creating offense out of nothing. That third goal happened purely because of him.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
The impact Hillis has on this lineup can't be stated enough. He had some Fabbri-esque moments tonight, from crawling out of board battles and emerging with the puck to quick shots on goal instead of wasting a chance. Great pass to Merkley on the game winning goal.

I really don't understand what's going on with Merkley. Half the time he looks injured, barely lifting his feet off the ice and making weak passes, then he'll explode out of nowhere taking full strides and creating offense out of nothing. That third goal happened purely because of him.

Storm surge swears he is Enigma....

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I laughed when I got to my vehicle and put on the abbreviated Rangers post-game show. Farwell was grumbling lightly about the three stars and how they put too much emphasis on the outgoing 3 OAs, since they’d already honours them in the pre-game ceremony. They’ve been doing that for the last regular season game for years Mikey - let it go! It’s not like these kids get a new car for leading the 3 star standings. I’m sure payback on the selection will happen back in Kitchener.

There's a special place in hell for those who spend too much time fretting over the three stars. If I never read another tweet, blog post or article about the three stars, it'll be too soon.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Funny you should ask LV, I actually went to get my tickets during the second period break. I felt the boys were playing well, except for a minute and a half in the second period, and decided to get me tickets. Strange you can a slice of pizza or fries, a beer or a t shirt or other Storm swag in the Sleeman Center but not tickets with a debit card, five different credit cards can be used but no debit, what's with that. I had left my credit card at home and wasn't carrying enough cash so no tickets. Will put that money towards next year's season tickets. I'll have to listen to Larry for the next little while.
Loved your post regarding Farwell, WINBAG, at times I think his posting name is overager as they both have nothing good to say about anything non-ranger. Why waste your time listening to him. He forced me to stop listening to a certain kitchener radio station when he was brought on to co-host the morning show.
I think the future is bright for our team our top six forwards should all be back next year and our bottom six have proved reliable and with more playing time, Primeau. Stevens, Bertuzzi ( if he can remain healthy) will also improve We'll have Ralph and Kirwan back which is awesome their heart and desire is nothing but good. With some of our prospects eager to impress, draft picks from this year and some additions, through the trade route, this coming off season will only make the team better. So Mr. Burnett do some magic we need two OAs, assuming we keep Poirier, and why would't you, a stay at home defenseman and a back up goalie.
Great comeback win proves they can play with kitchener and a first round match up would be very interesting. Something I don't think kitchener would like.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Funny you should ask LV, I actually went to get my tickets during the second period break. I felt the boys were playing well, except for a minute and a half in the second period, and decided to get me tickets. Strange you can a slice of pizza or fries, a beer or a t shirt or other Storm swag in the Sleeman Center but not tickets with a debit card, five different credit cards can be used but no debit, what's with that. I had left my credit card at home and wasn't carrying enough cash so no tickets. Will put that money towards next year's season tickets. I'll have to listen to Larry for the next little while.
Loved your post regarding Farwell, WINBAG, at times I think his posting name is overager as they both have nothing good to say about anything non-ranger. Why waste your time listening to him. He forced me to stop listening to a certain kitchener radio station when he was brought on to co-host the morning show.
I think the future is bright for our team our top six forwards should all be back next year and our bottom six have proved reliable and with more playing time, Primeau. Stevens, Bertuzzi ( if he can remain healthy) will also improve We'll have Ralph and Kirwan back which is awesome their heart and desire is nothing but good. With some of our prospects eager to impress, draft picks from this year and some additions, through the trade route, this coming off season will only make the team better. So Mr. Burnett do some magic we need two OAs, assuming we keep Poirier, and why would't you, a stay at home defenseman and a back up goalie.
Great comeback win proves they can play with kitchener and a first round match up would be very interesting. Something I don't think kitchener would like.
Hi Geo. Your correct about Farwell. Wrong about him being Overager. Overager is the opposite.. Never has anything nice to say about the Rangers on Rangersrush or probably anywhere else for that matter. Likes taking a shot at the Storm also when he gets the chance. He chased a ton of posters from that site like Farwell did on the radio. I thought it was a nice gesture the way the Storm honoured their OAs last night. McFadden has been a great representative for the team. Good kid.

Last edited:

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I'm sure he won't read this - why would he come here - but thank you Garrett McFadden for everything you did for the team and the city over your time in Guelph.

Your legacy will live on in the Royal City and surrounding area for the work you've done with kids mental health.

Through the last three years of disappointment, you've been a shining light for this team and for this city.

It will be hard for the next captain to follow in your footsteps - you've set the bar extremely high.

Best of luck on whatever the future holds for you. You will be missed here.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
The Storm are a team that had 9 first round picks on the team earlier in the season and according to former GMMK, were going to finish 2-3 in the conference this year, and go for it next year. How can the Storm go for it next year when they will probably finish in 8th, get knocked out in 4 straight by the Soo. Their only OA next year would be Poirier, so George would have to pick up probably 3 OAs over the summer. A top line of Ratcliff/Hillis/Schnarr would be decent, and goal tending steady, but not sure of a Championship team?

Talked to a new Storm scout last night in Brantford and he said not to worry that George has the Ship pointed in the right direction. I hope he is right, and they have a good year at the draft table, because the previous regime was horrible. Curious George has had decent drafts with both Flint and Belleville, so we shall see. Must say that I'm not overall impressed with some of his trades thus far. I think I would rather have Moncada going forward than Porier. Moncada...60-8-13-21 and a 2000 vs Porier....45-6-7-13 and a 98. Also Rhodes...48-9-13-22...than Shoemaker...57-1-6-7.
kinda think Poirier is a heart and soul kinda necessity..Forwards look good unless they make another dumb trade.. something to build on for sure....D is a mystery... but like 28.......4 will be solid ..5 is good..6 is enigma... would make him center..need at least one big mobile OA D .. and another good young D.. they have 2 in system..nothing is guaranteed for next year..if D isn't reset.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
Thanks bobber your kind words are appreciated.
kinda think Poirier is a heart and soul kinda necessity..Forwards look good unless they make another dumb trade.. something to build on for sure....D is a mystery... but like 28.......4 will be solid ..5 is good..6 is enigma... would make him center..need at least one big mobile OA D .. and another good young D.. they have 2 in system..nothing is guaranteed for next year..if D isn't reset.

I kinda hear what you are saying Surge about the D for sure. Really like the effort and play of Kirwin/Ralph, just not sure if they are top 6 guys. Fingers crossed that Aguanno pans out but really need that mobile OA D man.

Ratcliffe/Hillis/Schnarr
Kirwin/Ralph/Toropochenko
Bertuzzi/Hawel/Primeau
Jackson/Jackson/Porier
Stevenson/1st Pick

Enigma/Lalonde
Wooley/Samarukov
Aguanno/OA

Popovich
Daws

Reactions: storm surge

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I kinda hear what you are saying Surge about the D for sure. Really like the effort and play of Kirwin/Ralph, just not sure if they are top 6 guys. Fingers crossed that Aguanno pans out but really need that mobile OA D man.

Ratcliffe/Hillis/Schnarr
Kirwin/Ralph/Toropochenko
Bertuzzi/Hawel/Primeau
Jackson/Jackson/Porier
Stevenson/1st Pick

Enigma/Lalonde
Wooley/Samarukov
Aguanno/OA

Popovich
Daws
Jacksons;; have they grown at all.... still great little players..but will they put up with the confusion in Guelph?..ina year .. Bert line will be awesome.....

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Are the Jackson twins even going to show up? They were the only 2017 drafted players not to come to camp and I had heard they had an agreement with a US school.

Saginaw and Windsor both lost huge the last couple nights so the Storm hold sole possession of 6th. I think we'd be better off in 7th and facing Kitchener. We shall see how it ends up.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
According to Elite Prospects
Dylan Jackson 5'9" 157 lbs
Ty Jackson 5'7" 148 lbs
Both committed to Northeastern U
Both averaged a PPG for St Michaels.
FWIW

Stormdude

Jan 20, 2016
Here are my fearless predications for this final weekend of the season:

Fri. March 16
Kitchener - 4
Guelph - 3
GWG - Sherwood

Sat. March 17
Guelph - 5
Erie - 4
GWG - Hillis

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Guelph 4
Kitchener 3
Ratcliffe
Rangers looking to a) avoid injuries, b) avoid suspensions c) play the bench (players who won't dress for playoffs) so won't bring their A lineup.
Guelph needs to re-establish a winning environment going into playoffs-two wins in last 10 games.

Guelph 5
Erie 3
Toropchenko

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Not sure about tonite, again fingers crossed:
Guelph/rangers Guelph 4-3 Ratcliffe going for 40+ goals
Guelph/Erie 4-1 Hillis

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
Rangers are sitting Mascherin and Stanley tonight as it's the Rangers final game and nothing to play for points wise.

Storm however are without Schnarr (strep throat) and Bertuzzi is still out so only 10 forwards.

Storm even with 3pts this weekend could still finish 8th if Saginaw and Windsor both win tomorrow and then Saginaw beats Windsor Sunday.

Windsor holds the tiebreaker over Guelph but Guelph holds the tie breaker (at the moment) over Saginaw.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Sorry folks... dropped the ball today. Was planning on putting the final standings up before the weekend games but my Friday got away from me. It'll have to be a surprise on Monday! Even missed my own picks.

Enjoy the weekend and again I'm sorry!

Go Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad