Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Bruins10
I've been saying this all along about him. But apparently I'm wrong in my assessment of him. The kid has the potential to be a great player but if he keeps on the way he's been going he's not going to get the chance.

Don't be so dramatic. You're not "apparently wrong in your assessment."

It's true people see and hear (and read) what they want to, so I'm going to repeat this one last time and then end this "debate" with you.....

I never said he didn't have things to work on, things to improve, warts in his game. Wait for it....YOU ARE CORRECT IN THINKING HE COULD BE BETTER AND THAT ITS FRUSTRATING TO WATCH HIM AT TIMES WHEN HE TRIES TO DO TO MUCH

Does that sound like you're wrong? I mean, come on.

Where I think you are wrong is in how bad you think he is. Again, there have been some baaaaaaad and spoiled players to come through Guelph in the decade that I have been following the team, but never once did I think "boy, you know what will make this situation better, if I can sit down with the owners and coaching staff to let them know they need to better handle this player". Calling for him to be watching from the stands and even questioning his place in the OHL is delusional, I'm sorry.

If you can't see the point I am trying to make by now, I don't think you ever will. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Enjoy watching this team, if you are able to....I know how much #6 upsets you. It would be a shame to let your obvious disdain for one particular player take away from what could be a great run from this team. Cheers.

Reactions: dirty12

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Wolfman Jack brought up a new point for me. I was thinking that the Storm should aim for 2018-19. McFadden is great to hold onto for calming the team down, but I was a proponent of selling high on Smith. The edge that Smith brings is opening space for the younger players, allowing their skill to emerge. The picks or players Smith would bring back may not be as valuable as keeping him and gaining some playoff experience to change the culture.

The west is the widest open since 2012-13.
The Soo may be the only 100 point team in the west this year.
Sarnia is playing 0.500 hockey since their 14 game win streak ended and will lose Kyrou to WJC for a month.
Owen Sound needs a goalie and may be too responsible to make it happen.
Erie has to sell.
Windsor has to sell.
Flint is already selling.

There is a pretty good shot at getting the team used to playoff hockey for a legitimate run in 2019. Home ice advantage and making the second round should be the goal.

Great points. I'm typically someone who says unless you're really competing for a championship (not just pretending to be) that you should be selling.

That said, I could see a scenario much like the one you outlined where this team either stands pat, or makes a small add on the back end. Of course that's all assuming this team is in the top 6 or so by deadline time, which I assume they will be. Losing Smith for nothing at the end of the year isn't ideal, but if him staying means a meaningful playoff run for the younger players, Guelph has extra picks they can use in the summer to turn into a replacement for Smith for next year's run.

It sure is fun to watch a winning team again. I just hope the goaltending holds up. Poppy's been pretty great lately and that plate of crow in front of me is growing by the day!

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
Don't be so dramatic. You're not "apparently wrong in your assessment."

It's true people see and hear (and read) what they want to, so I'm going to repeat this one last time and then end this "debate" with you.....

I never said he didn't have things to work on, things to improve, warts in his game. Wait for it....YOU ARE CORRECT IN THINKING HE COULD BE BETTER AND THAT ITS FRUSTRATING TO WATCH HIM AT TIMES WHEN HE TRIES TO DO TO MUCH

Does that sound like you're wrong? I mean, come on.

Where I think you are wrong is in how bad you think he is. Again, there have been some baaaaaaad and spoiled players to come through Guelph in the decade that I have been following the team, but never once did I think "boy, you know what will make this situation better, if I can sit down with the owners and coaching staff to let them know they need to better handle this player". Calling for him to be watching from the stands and even questioning his place in the OHL is delusional, I'm sorry.

If you can't see the point I am trying to make by now, I don't think you ever will. We'll have to agree to disagree.

Enjoy watching this team, if you are able to....I know how much #6 upsets you. It would be a shame to let your obvious disdain for one particular player take away from what could be a great run from this team. Cheers.

RCS,
What debate? Why do you think you should have the last word? If you noticed I haven't replied to any of your posts since Tuesday and I think that should tell you something. You're the one who keeps commenting on things I've said in response to other people's posts. If you don't like what I have to say then just ignore my posts. You have your opinions and I have mine. Let's just leave it at that.

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Great points. I'm typically someone who says unless you're really competing for a championship (not just pretending to be) that you should be selling.

That said, I could see a scenario much like the one you outlined where this team either stands pat, or makes a small add on the back end. Of course that's all assuming this team is in the top 6 or so by deadline time, which I assume they will be. Losing Smith for nothing at the end of the year isn't ideal, but if him staying means a meaningful playoff run for the younger players, Guelph has extra picks they can use in the summer to turn into a replacement for Smith for next year's run.

It sure is fun to watch a winning team again. I just hope the goaltending holds up. Poppy's been pretty great lately and that plate of crow in front of me is growing by the day!

The Storm have played 28 games so far this year- their record after 14 games was 6W and 8L (L+OTL+ SOL)
In the last 14 games they went 9W and 5L. If this trend continues I believe a 'stand pat' approach is best.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
RCS,
What debate? Why do you think you should have the last word? If you noticed I haven't replied to any of your posts since Tuesday and I think that should tell you something. You're the one who keeps commenting on things I've said in response to other people's posts. If you don't like what I have to say then just ignore my posts. You have your opinions and I have mine. Let's just leave it at that.

You've referred to my opinion on enough occasions for me to know you're talking about me without actually "@"ing me. That's why I've responded.

Otherwise, fair enough.

Stormdude

Jan 20, 2016
Here are my predictions for this weekend:

Fri. Dec. 8th
Guelph - 5
Owen Sound - 3
GWG - Toropchenko

Sun. Dec. 10th
Kitchener - 4
Guelph - 3
GWG - Sherwood

And just for fun...Teddy Bear Goal - Ratcliffe

StormFan87

Dec 19, 2014
Owen Sound 2
Guelph 4
GWG Hillis

Kitchener 3
Guelph 4
GWG Ratcliffe

I'll predict teddy bear toss goal is scored by Ralph!

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Sorry this took so long, folks. Updated to today!

TOTAL (28 GP)
battfan88814
RCS21
Stormfan8717
TrueBlueStorm15
Stormdude19
StorminNorman18
geo10511
noobie17
Chico Maki22
Stormforthewin19
StormWatcher21
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Guelph 5
Owen Sound 4
gwg Smith

Guelph 4
Kitchener 2
gwg Ratcliffe
teddy bear goal little Ralphie (make sure they don't collect him up too :)

TrueBlueStorm

Apr 25, 2014
Solid team effort tonight, 4 wins in a row, now # 2 in division
new defensive pairings
keep it going Sunday!

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Entertaining game tonight! The new line combo of Kirwin, Ralph and Torpedo has so much energy, and are relentless forecheckers. Someone asked if Lalonde was a bust - I thought he had a stellar game tonight and maybe his confidence is up now playing with McFadden. Defensively he has been solid. Hillis also had a tremendous game - wheels,wheels,wheels! And I thought Merk looked even more responsible defensively - maybe he's buying into the system now - some awesome feeds again from him. Nice little roll they've got going and you can see some gelling happening now. I thought the Attack looked to get tired in the third and the Storm looked like they cranked it up a notch - looked energized.
Sunday is a big test. The Rangers won in OT over Flint tonight after coughing up a 2-0 lead. Let's see if the Storm can push them to the wall.

Bruins10

Mar 31, 2016
Credit where credit's due. I've criticized Ryan Merkley when I've felt it warranted so want to give him some plaudits when earned. I would totally agree with L.V. that he looked a lot more responsible defensively and, for the most part, kept it simple and moved the puck with precision and effectiveness. Also, I would concur with the observations regarding Cam Hillis - a really intelligent hockey player and one whom I'd expect would get some consideration for the Top Prospects game. Anyone heard whether he is in that conversation?

Reactions: Northernstormfan

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Credit where credit's due. I've criticized Ryan Merkley when I've felt it warranted so want to give him some plaudits when earned. I would totally agree with L.V. that he looked a lot more responsible defensively and, for the most part, kept it simple and moved the puck with precision and effectiveness. Also, I would concur with the observations regarding Cam Hillis - a really intelligent hockey player and one whom I'd expect would get some consideration for the Top Prospects game. Anyone heard whether he is in that conversation?
I haven't heard anything about Hillis but I agree - he does deserve a shot. Just an incredible acquisition that looked like a long shot to come here for awhile.

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario

Bruins10
Agree with both you and LV. The team last night as a whole played great. Pleased to see Merkley have a good game last night, let's hope it continues. Hillis, Kirwan, Ralph are just a tenacious bunch. Torpedo ohh he wanted that goal back. I think that the goal floodgates are going to open up soon for him. Lalonde was playing with more confidence and McFadden didn't seem to be so frustrated last night as he has been in the past few games. Has anyone else noticed the change in Smith? He's not as agressive or I should say volitile as he has been in the past years. Any thoughts? I think I like the new Smith.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad