Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
RCS
I don't disagree with any of your points. Merkley has been playing better lately, and is the offensive leader on the team. What is frustrating, and invites the criticism is when he is lazy (doesn't hustle back on defence) or selfish (stays out far too long to the point he becomes a liability on defence). IMO these times are not advantageous offensively either.
Maybe a change in defensive pairings would help- split up 6/27 except on the PP
I'd like to see
5/27
3/6
4/28
Thoughts?

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I believe Merk. is potentially the greatest all time scorer for storm ... with a reasonable plus minus. But I believe he is a natural forward .. to be feared coming up the ice with 2 mature D behind him.... I would be terrified to face that scenario.. at present I call him 50/50... half amazing ... half terrible.. he's no D at all in my mind. Why so stubborn in keeping him tied into a position he's not suited for and subject to scorn. Break him in at center and we're cup bound next year.

Stormdude

Jan 20, 2016
I know at the end of last season, his defensive game improved, but at the beginning of this season, it seems to me like old lazy habits have crept back into his game. And if his goal is to be a good AHL or European hockey player , this would be fine. But he has the talent to aim much higher.

As the level of competition improves, you can only get by with talent alone for so long. But with scouts constantly watching him, he can't take even part of a shift off. Which is a lot of pressure for a 17 year old.

Now don't get me wrong, I am sure he feels that he is giving it his all, but can you imagine if he put a Kirwin or Ralph - like effort every shift... the sky is the limit for this kid.

Reactions: RoyalCitySlicker

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Nobody is jealous of Merkley's natural talent, nobody is disputing he has talent, it is just being overshadowed and it's hard for fans to see past that.
We all know that everyone makes the bad plays, the turnovers and so on but I have to respectively disagree that there are others worse than Merkley on this team. In the last few games they have been mixing up the defense pairings, not sure if they found what they were looking for but everyone is back to the original pairings. And nobody is expecting these kids to play like the pro's. As for wanting to voice thoughts and concerns to the ownership group is up to the individual. Ìt does not however, give another person to right to ridicule them for it.

If you felt like I was ridiculing you, I apologize.

I really don't believe criticism of an opinion you hold is ridiculing you, but if you took it that way, I'm sorry.

But to me, the idea of complaining to management about at 17 year old, non-professional hockey player is a little over the top.

You say it's not personal, and perhaps it is just more hyperbole, but you really can't identify one player (ONE!) that has been worse on this team than Merkley?

With all of that said, if you (and other fans) think a phone call or a meeting with management and coaches might solve this Merkley problem, give the Storm a call. You're well within your rights to do so. I'd be curious to hear what they have to say.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I know at the end of last season, his defensive game improved, but at the beginning of this season, it seems to me like old lazy habits have crept back into his game. And if his goal is to be a good AHL or European hockey player , this would be fine. But he has the talent to aim much higher.

As the level of competition improves, you can only get by with talent alone for so long. But with scouts constantly watching him, he can't take even part of a shift off. Which is a lot of pressure for a 17 year old.

Now don't get me wrong, I am sure he feels that he is giving it his all, but can you imagine if he put a Kirwin or Ralph - like effort every shift... the sky is the limit for this kid.

Yep. Definitely frustrating to watch a player not appear to give their all to achieve something that appears to be well within his(her) reach when all it takes is the same dedication that others show.

I'll reiterate as my point seems to be missed (not by you I dont think)....maybe cause I am so long winded....

#6 is frustrating to watch at times.

He deserves some (maybe even most) of the criticism he receives.

There are others on the team who are guilty of many of the same tendencies.

They are not criticized nearly as much as #6.

People are extremely biased against #6. It's not fair.

That's the tl;dr version.

Bruins10

Mar 31, 2016
In rendering my observation of Ryan Merkley last week, I understand that junior hockey players make mistakes, as do all of us. The frustrating part is when those mistakes are made repeatedly and I would suggest that that has been the case with this player in regards to excessively long shifts that have led to turnovers, penalties and/or goals against. It would seem to me that a relatively easy way to correct this would be to send a message by having him miss shifts. Merkley is a wonderfully gifted player who, I hope, will spend his entire junior career here in Guelph and that he will successfully move on to an NHL career. He needs to realize that in order to do so he will need to be receptive to coaching and, at times, that will mean acceptance of some negative reinforcement.

Reactions: Northernstormfan

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
In rendering my observation of Ryan Merkley last week, I understand that junior hockey players make mistakes, as do all of us. The frustrating part is when those mistakes are made repeatedly and I would suggest that that has been the case with this player in regards to excessively long shifts that have led to turnovers, penalties and/or goals against. It would seem to me that a relatively easy way to correct this would be to send a message by having him miss shifts. Merkley is a wonderfully gifted player who, I hope, will spend his entire junior career here in Guelph and that he will successfully move on to an NHL career. He needs to realize that in order to do so he will need to be receptive to coaching and, at times, that will mean acceptance of some negative reinforcement.

I think the frustrating part for most people is that they have tried this in the past - granted Burnett wasn't here for most of that. Last year I believe he was even sent to the room on one or more occasions.

All that said, the statistics bare out that he's been much better in the last 6 weeks, which I hope means he's turned a corner. I still think he's bemoaned unfairly in relation to others, but that seems to not be a widely held opinion, and I'm OK with that.

I mean we're falling over ourselves making excuses for a player who hasn't scored in TWO MONTHS, but here's the guy leading the team in scoring and people think he should be watching from the stands. I think that's a little over the top.

I could name the names of all the players who I feel have been worse than #6 but that won't do any good.

Maybe since Hotchkiss got shot into the sun, people need a new whipping boy? It's weird, but hey, different strokes and all that jazz :)

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario

Bruins10
I've been saying this all along about him. But apparently I'm wrong in my assessment of him. The kid has the potential to be a great player but if he keeps on the way he's been going he's not going to get the chance.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Bruins10
I've been saying this all along about him. But apparently I'm wrong in my assessment of him. The kid has the potential to be a great player but if he keeps on the way he's been going he's not going to get the chance.
he'll be drafted into the NHL as a forward some day..but I believe ownership and coaches will be derelict in not being behind him in moving him to forward..gross negligence...

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
Merkley will never be a forward. He's able to control the game from the back.

stormfanone

Nov 30, 2013
Toronto Born in Gue.
That game in Owen Sound was a junior classic. Although I feel a little sorry for the Attack franchise, we should have easily beat them (since they lacked some serious firepower up front and experience between the pipes). It did seem that Guelph's D was more of a three-way line balance compared to the usual 27-6 dominance.
They are one of the highest scoring teams in the O. What do you mean lack firepower up front.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Guelph 4-2 Hillis

My take on the Merkley debate. Complaining for complaining sake is something OA from kitchener does. I thought that Storm posters weren't as picky. I can remember other former Storm defensemen that we all think highly of. But all of them made mistakes and were forgiven . Parent, Finn, Doughty, and Ebert to name four, I'm sure you all can remember more. I think the main thing we all have to remember we are talking about kids here. Sure they are superior athletes and have an opportunity many can only dream of, but they are just kids. At 17 how many of you were in a position that placed so much pressure on your young shoulders and are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I think I can name 19 teams in the OHL that would love to have them on their team, we are fortunate to have him. I look forward to watching this incredible player develop and shine. Maybe then we will here some positive thoughts from the naysayers.
Oh by the way earlier this season I questioned our goaltending, I've happily eating crow.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Merkley will never be a forward. He's able to control the game from the back.
I guess we just have a different understanding of control... he's a wild card .. good when he's good ...or not chasing breakaways he causes or retreating away from defensive stuff in his own end..I can tell I'm peein in the wind on this......Hello Nichnac....like Toropchenko; but check out those steelhead stats... and what about those midget twins.. 4th and 5th picks?.... great work though ..by Bert.. Primo and Dickenson... next year these guys will shine.. I think Primeau will be awesome.our best forward to come.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
They are one of the highest scoring teams in the O. What do you mean lack firepower up front.

The reference was to that one game, where OS were missing forwards including their top-scorer Suzuki.... they dressed a couple of D as forwards that night.

Hamilton 4, Guelph 3. GWG Strome.

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
Nice to see Toropchenko get the monkey off his back! I'm thinking that will boost his confidence and get him rolling again.

And a hatty for Schnarr. This team has offence. The bonus of having the scorers spread out is that even when your Toropchenkos hit a slump others can get going... Kirwin had a hat trick the other night as a third liner.

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
Nice to see Toropchenko score. They put him with Ralph and Kirwin tonight. Could be what he needs.
Team looks like it has some promise. Beating the top eastern Barrie and beating Hamilton both games

Smith and Schnarr had some real nice goals

Fudgeo

Feb 2, 2015
30 goals scored in the last 7 games, 50 in the last 11. This team is getting very hot.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Something is emerging here. Smith returning as added some much needed presence and of course more scoring. But WOW the forwards are exploding confidence right now. I think Guelph should stay status quo into the deadline they have a lot to work with and could give the young players much valuable playoff experience. They are a sleeper in the West!

WJ

StorminNorman

Dec 3, 2015
Wolfman Jack brought up a new point for me. I was thinking that the Storm should aim for 2018-19. McFadden is great to hold onto for calming the team down, but I was a proponent of selling high on Smith. The edge that Smith brings is opening space for the younger players, allowing their skill to emerge. The picks or players Smith would bring back may not be as valuable as keeping him and gaining some playoff experience to change the culture.

The west is the widest open since 2012-13.
The Soo may be the only 100 point team in the west this year.
Sarnia is playing 0.500 hockey since their 14 game win streak ended and will lose Kyrou to WJC for a month.
Owen Sound needs a goalie and may be too responsible to make it happen.
Erie has to sell.
Windsor has to sell.
Flint is already selling.

There is a pretty good shot at getting the team used to playoff hockey for a legitimate run in 2019. Home ice advantage and making the second round should be the goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad