Guelph Storm 2018 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I agree with a lot you said. Whatever happened to the "we" being more important than the "me" in a team sport. There is no doubt that smith and merkley are great players. I realize smith hasnt played yet but Last year smith scored some great goals but how many did he cost the team by leading the league in penalties. The team got scored the pk because of his penalties x10 compared to the points he contributed. The same with merkley. He creates some offence and gets points. But how many does he cost the team in Turnovers and selfish play. My point is that to win as a team , then the team must come first. If star players are hurting the team more then helping then they need to be disciplined like anyone else. It is a TEAM game. I know you guys will rip me a new one on here for saying this, but a lot of slefish players are being rewarded By being drafted. So why would they ever change their play now. I have only been following the storm since 2013 so maybe I was spoiled in thr beginning.

I don't think you're off base. The scouting department for this team has (had) been asleep at the wheel since their OHL Championship. You want to talk about players being apathetic after being drafted - how about the now former management and scouting departments. Not only did they draft busted players all over the map, it also would appear they had no clue how to measure character or keep it's players in check. I look at some of the names on that championship team and while some will never amount to much professionally, they all did their jobs and played for the crest on the front of their jerseys rather than the name on the back. Since then, there have been numerous discipline issues, benchings, players leaving the team, players being sent home, coaches fired, etc. It's now a team that has no sense of direction full of players unwilling to listen to coaches. Something has got to give. I don't pretend to know the solution, but their play, plus the eye test watching some of these players, combined with comments from current and former players make me think this team is rotten at the core.

It's still a little early to rush to judgement, but based on early returns, this team looks an awful lot like the dysfunctional mess of the last two seasons.

I'm still holding out hope they can turn it around, but it's going to need a team effort - something I am not sure this group has shown they are capable of.

Reactions: hocknow

Northernstormfan

Apr 26, 2015
Northern Ontario
I've been saying this for 3 years now but everyone keeps saying, their young, their this, their that, making all kinds of excuses. Well you can't anymore, this team, more accurately a few players need to either start playing as a team member or hit the road. I don't care how talented they are, when they only play with a me me attitude they are a cancer to the rest of the team who are playing their hearts out to win games and improve their level of play.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
HAM 4
GUE 2
Saigeon

GUE 4
SAG 2
Ratcliffe

SSM 7
GUE 1
(Katchook)

Sorry there was no update this week...will post a standings after the weekend. Enjoy!

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
The scoring woes were just as bad tonight as they were last weekend but thankfully Popovich stood on his head and all it took were two goals to win.
Great shot by Woolley for his first career goal.

Pretty awful game offensively all around though and there isn't much more to say beyond that.
Penalty wise the team has gotten much better as Guelph took just one penalty all game.

After three losses in a row I'm sure they will take the 2pts and run but I didn't really see any improvement tonight over last week beyond the goaltending.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
My early season assessment after a month. I'm glad that Popovich has quieted all the naysayers that questioned our goaltending. Other than one game where he was pulled I think he's provided the team with solid work.

Looks like a team that was expected to have tons of scoring, is in a slump.

I'm not impressed with shoemaker. I liked Rhodes game better and he's having a great start to the season.

Lastly, I'm still not impressed with Merkley. For every good play he makes, there are three bad ones. He stays out on the ice longer than he's supposed to, one game he played the equivalent of 3 shifts. Doesn't pass unless it's absolutely necessary. I still believe he'd be better served as forward. Great hands and great vision. If I was an NHL GM, I would draft him the 1st round.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
TOTAL (12 GP)
battfan8884
RCS7
Stormfan877
TrueBlueStorm5
Stormdude5
StorminNorman9
geo1054
noobie12
Chico Maki7