NCAA: Growing number of Group of five schools want separate college playoffs

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Northern Illinois athletic director Sean Frazier is among a growing number of Group of 5 officials that favor adding a playoff specifically for the Group of 5 schools.
"It's time to have a realistic conversation about creating a playoff for the Group of 5," Frazier told ESPN. "Why not?"
It's been 32 years since a non-Power 5 team won a national championship (BYU in 1984) and it likely will never happen again in the current format. In the first three years of the College Football Playoff, a Group of 5 team has never ranked higher than No. 13 (Memphis in the 2015 initial rankings) by the CFB Playoff selection committee.
"There is absolutely no ability for us (teams in the Group of 5) to be in that national title conversation," Frazier said. "That's just reality. Anyone that says we can: That's a flat-out lie."
The Group of 5 consists of schools from the American, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt conferences along with independents BYU, Army and UMass.
Frazier said he believes a Group of 5 playoff could be financially rewarding to those schools. NBC, CBS and ESPN have interest in televising a Group of 5 playoff, an industry source said.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ficials-considering-playoff-non-power-5-teams

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
they do have a fooball tournament for second tier schools - it's called Division II

Kind of joking there but kind of honest too.

If you've never watched the Division II playoffs, I haven't either. Which gives me pause that there would be some huge audience for something that doesn't involve the top schools.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
they do have a fooball tournament for second tier schools - it's called Division II

If you've never watched the Division II playoffs, I haven't either. Which gives me pause that there would be some huge audience for something that doesn't involve the top schools.

The FCS does quite well for itself all things considered.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles

In football, FCS/1-AA is the division below FBS/1-A. Division II is two below.

The so-called mid-majors have access to the NCAA basketball tourney because the NCAA runs it and sets the rules. The NCAA has no say in the football tourney as the Power Five conferences have total control over that show.

The Group of 5 should wait to see if they can get a seat at the table if/when the playoff expands to eight teams. If not, then they should explore a Group of 5 playoff.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So, the system these geniuses made because the BCS was too biased is even more biased in favor of the big schools? Well golly, I'm shocked.

They should've kept the BCS rankings and made a 4 or 8 team playoff format from those rankings. There would've been non-power conference schools and non-powerhouse teams included in that setup.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
**** it: 10 conference winners, 6 at large. Get rid of all the other ****** bowls. It doesn't have to be that hard. You can say that the Sunbelt doesn't deserve a spot, and you may be right, but in that case then you need to remove them from the same field of play as the SEC and have them compete for their own championship with the rest of the G5 schools.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
They should. But by doing so the G5 would become it's own tier of football between the P5 and FCS. Not sure if the NCAA wants that or how they would keep the FBS under one umbrella.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

Could they do any more poorly financially than to have 5-7 members or so play in bowl games that nobody watches?

They should. But by doing so the G5 would become it's own tier of football between the P5 and FCS. Not sure if the NCAA wants that or how they would keep the FBS under one umbrella.

The Power Five runs the CFP, not the NCAA, so screw the NCAA.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
The Go5 should have a 2nd New Year's six berth imo. There is a lot of talent down there that is a lot better than a lot of P5 schools.

I find it hard to care about any bowl, whether it's in mid December or on New Year's Day. Playing, say, an Oklahoma would be cool, but we already play a school like that once a year, and it'd still just be another exhibition game.

Next year we're returning a lot of players and we play Wake and Georgia (and Umass). If we can eke out both of those and we don't drop our one conference game a year to a team we should beat, going undefeated (if if if), I'm going to be super pissed when we're overlooked even though I know it'll happen. You think Western Michigan gives a **** about the Cotton Bowl? Why are they even playing football if they can win every game and not have a shot at the national championship. Give our conferences a chance, or divide division 1 again.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I find it hard to care about any bowl, whether it's in mid December or on New Year's Day. Playing, say, an Oklahoma would be cool, but we already play a school like that once a year, and it'd still just be another exhibition game.

Next year we're returning a lot of players and we play Wake and Georgia (and Umass). If we can eke out both of those and we don't drop our one conference game a year to a team we should beat, going undefeated (if if if), I'm going to be super pissed when we're overlooked even though I know it'll happen. You think Western Michigan gives a **** about the Cotton Bowl? Why are they even playing football if they can win every game and not have a shot at the national championship. Give our conferences a chance, or divide division 1 again.

I would hope Western Michigan cares about playing in a big New Year's bowl game, seeing as how it's not only the biggest bowl they've ever played in, but the school has also has only won one bowl game in their 100+ years of school football history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad