GDT: Group B - May 9 - Finland vs Denmark

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
I don't think there was much cockiness. People were just happy to watch great offensive plays that were just pouring on the opponents - not so common for a Finnish team.

However, Denmark played well and Finland not quite as well as in the earlier three games. Part of that was Denmark playing a very effective trap and a very tight box in front their own goal. The other part was Finland not moving their legs enough and also taking very stupid (and in some cases) unlucky penalties. Andersen was great too.

This is a very young team and a loss at this stage is good for team building. Canada and the US will be very tough.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
We gave too much respect to a team that's a lot weaker.

Cocky? Most have been saying that we haven't met any formidable opponents yet... Everyone knows that our D will **** us.

Sorry but no way..a few were being polite but lost fins were like this:

What there will be instead after the fat lady looking like zebra on ice sings is a GOAL DIFFERENCE of that constant 7 goals in favour of the Impivaaran Jyske aka the Lions of Finland.

WTF is this Andersen chap, anyway??

Since when has Denmark started to develop world class net-minders?
One VEIN PULL (aka suonenveto) season in some
Herning hockey club or IF Båros won't make, hahah,
a goalie of elite standards.
The kiddo
- whoever he is then -will be shot to pieces and out onto the end of a long wooden
bench ears red like their flag's backdrop behind the white cross signifying surrender before the allmighty
Finns.

The difference between a great goalie and a good goalie is about 1 more saved SOG per 100 SOG made. It might be 5-1, not 6-1 because of Andersen. It's not going to be 4-3 because of their goalie.

6 - 1 for Finland

5-1 for Finland.

6-2 Finland

So, it took Majamäki three games to make the team follow his playbook...

The fins never learn.

Always arrogant.

And now its all because of the xoach or them not playing good.

Denmark forced this result

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
A meaningless game back-to-back before an important (for gauging) game after it. And against the true home team with a will to prove themselves and against the wall in terms of when the real tournament begins (playoffs). And playing their best game in the competition so far. It's not a surprise they were able to claw the win.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Sorry but no way..a few were being polite but lost fins were like this:

The fins never learn.

Always arrogant.

And now its all because of the xoach or them not playing good.

Denmark forced this result
If it's cocky to think that your team will win the game (Which probably it should have), then you're just being silly. Nothing cocky was said there. Finns are one of the most self-critical, pessimistic people you'll ever find. We've lost enough times to know not to be cocky. We have nothing to be cocky about. A lot of people said that this is the first tougher game, but you chose to ignore those comments. Also the comment about your goalie was full on sarcastic.

Denmark played well but the game was ours to lose.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattihp and Koijari

Sian

Nov 11, 2013
You know, it's kinda hilarious how people are hoping for the salvation of the return of Jalonen. In 2010 people were busy sharping their pitchforks to chase Jalonen out of the hockey world for losing to Denmark

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
You know, it's kinda hilarious how people are hoping for the salvation of the return of Jalonen. In 2010 people were busy sharping their pitchforks to chase Jalonen out of the hockey world for losing to Denmark
Since then he's won WHC gold and WJC gold. He still has some annoying things in his gameplan but he's better with players than Marjamäki is. Although i have liked our game in this tournament, excluding this game vs. Denmark where we stopped playing it

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka

It's 2018 now. Every new coach get some flak in Finland, he wasn't anything special then.

2010 he led Finns to Olympic bronze. Year later he coached the Championship, add 5 years more and also with U20 team. Nowadays Jalonen is probably most influential, respected, and skilled coach Team Finland ever have had. Jalonen is the guy who would've least difficulties to make the roster he wants, that respected he is also among players. If Jalonen calls and you're free, you consider it as a privilege and you join in.

You know, times change, and experience and merits accumulate.

ADD: Elite Prospects - Jukka Jalonen Team Staff Profile
Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame Hockey Lion #210

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
You know, I expected more from you Finns, you lost to a better team on the day, end off.

There was no bad call that made you loose, there were bad calls on each side, the Finns did care, or else they wouldn't be so jumpy and agitated. The Danish team is NOT alot weaker than the Finns.

Just because 36-17 Sog, doesn't mean Finland dominated shit, not even possession except for the 1st period - 20-25 of those shots, were shitty perimiter shots al'a th first Jets game against Nashville were they peppered shots at us, but we still won, and I did not feel any danger from the Preds. Would also bet DK had more high danger chances.

Just suck it up, and be classy about it...

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
^

I don't see much shit from Finns in this thread, particularly during and after the game. If anything most congratulations were sincere as it was clear that Team Denmark played excellent game, and better TEAM won after the display of grit, tenacity, heart, and spirit.

Danes should try act classy too. Tho, I can understand current feelings there at Denmark. Enjoy! ;)

Reactions: Loffer

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
You know, I expected more from you Finns, you lost to a better team on the day, end off.

There was no bad call that made you loose, there were bad calls on each side, the Finns did care, or else they wouldn't be so jumpy and agitated. The Danish team is NOT alot weaker than the Finns.

Just because 36-17 Sog, doesn't mean Finland dominated ****, not even possession except for the 1st period - 20-25 of those shots, were ****ty perimiter shots al'a th first Jets game against Nashville were they peppered shots at us, but we still won, and I did not feel any danger from the Preds. Would also bet DK had more high danger chances.

Just suck it up, and be classy about it...
Yes it is? The only part that's clearly better is goaltending. Saying that the Finns are stronger is as cocky as saying that the Canadians are stronger than Finns. So not at all. No one has been cocky....except maybe the Danes.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
^

I don't see much **** from Finns in this thread, particularly during and after the game. If anything most congratulations were sincere as it was clear that Team Denmark played excellent game, and better TEAM won after the display of grit, tenacity, heart, and spirit.

Danes should try act classy too. Tho, I can understand current feelings there at Denmark. Enjoy! ;)
Maybe we are both waering flag colored tints. as I see more than a few Finn posters uisng bad excuses, and find that unclassy.

I see maybe 1-2 or two Danes overstepping the line, I am Canadian btw.

Im not after you, as you were cool about it :)

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yes it is? The only part that's clearly better is goaltending. Saying that the Finns are stronger is as cocky as saying that the Canadians are stronger than Finns. So not at all. No one has been cocky....except maybe the Danes.
The Finns are stronger, I just do not agree that the Danes are much weaker as you posted:)

The Koreans, Norwegians and Latvians current teams were much weaker.

Nothing cocky about that my friend.

I think all we might agree on, is Jets need to win tonight, and Laine and Ehlers need to have boss games.

See you in the GDT tonight buddy

Reactions: Loffer

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Great Danmark! Realy good for the tournament. But now Finland will win gold. Sweden will win all there unimportent games and loose when it counts. Its a strange tactic. Never worked... still do it. Its good go have a bad game early. Hope we all go far and meet im the final.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Psyche of Finns turn the scope merely within (soon after initial disappointments and frustrations that can be considered "unclassy"), and internal laundry can very well be really ugly thing to watch. I think there might have been rather blunt and direct discussions in Team Finland's locker room during and after the game, which isn't directly visible from post-game interviews. It's just how it goes with Finns, National Team being not an exception.

I think Denmark is one of the least painful Teams to lose for Finns.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
The Finns are stronger, I just do not agree that the Danes are much weaker as you posted:)
I disagree, i think our offense alone should've been enough to make the difference. Oh well, maybe next game Pokka will get buried and Heiskanen or Nuti claims his spot on first PP. But the game is done and i'm kinda happy we got exposed so early. I thought it'd happen against Canada.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark

The Koreans, Norwegians and Latvians current teams were much weaker.

Nothing cocky about that my friend.

I think all we might agree on, is Jets need to win tonight, and Laine and Ehlers need to have boss games.

See you in the GDT tonight buddy

No...nom..we absolutely do not agree...i want Ehlers home.. sorry but when there is WC in denmark, i just want all the nhl players to lose:P

Reactions: QuietContrarian

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I disagree, i think our offense alone should've been enough to make the difference. Oh well, maybe next game Pokka will get buried and Heiskanen or Nuti claims his spot on first PP.

Hence why some may take that as a either being cocky or a little arrogant.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Psyche of Finns turn the scope merely within (soon after initial disappointments and frustrations that can be considered "unclassy"), and internal laundry can very well be really ugly thing to watch. I think there might have been rather blunt and direct discussions in Team Finland's locker room during and after the game, which isn't directly visible from post-game interviews. It's just how it goes with Finns, National Team being not an exception.

I think Denmark is one of the least painful Teams to lose for Finns.
Like I said, there are classy ways and unclassy ways.

You always seem to take the classy way, good on you :)

Reactions: Se829ne

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
E. Actually i don't wanna start a fight.

The fact is that Finns should've expected to win this, there's nothing cocky or arrogant about it. Just like Canadians should expect to be in the finals every year because that's how good their material is.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Nothing arrogant about that. If you want to see arrogance then check out a GDT when CAN or USA loses an important game. Now that's something, especially Canadians who go into every tournament expecting to come out of it with gold.
lol, how.. hmm.. mature

I agree, we Canadians can be obnoxious, but just as many of us cringe and try to tell those people to take it down a notch.

I guarantee I don't expect to see that from you.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
lol, how.. hmm.. mature

I agree, we Canadians can be obnoxious, but just as many of us cringe and try to tell those people to take it down a notch.

I guarantee I don't expect to see that from you.
Meh, i deleted the message because i didn't want to start that argument. Too bad you already replied to it. Maybe it's not mature, but saltiness and all that stuff is part of these threads whenever an upset happens. It's not exclusive to Finns, and i don't like it when you come here to bring it up like it's something unique, that we as a people are somehow especially cocky or salty. Hell naw. Or that it's somehow arrogant or cocky to except our team to win against the Danes.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad