GDT: Group B - May 9 - Finland vs Denmark

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
Yes right! But CZE and SWISS are not so strong as RUS and SWE. I think it isn t good to careless give away place 1 and 2.
Eh, I don’t really see this team going very far anyways (not just because of today, this team is very top-heavy and the defense is quite shaky), so I don’t really care who we face. I just like seeing Honka, Nutivaara and Kapanen play, as I don’t watch them a lot, and it’s also nice to see how Heiskanen does against NHLers.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I don't care who we play in the QF if we make the game. We can beat anyone on a good day. Ofc it helps to be 1-2 but Czechs have usually been a terrible opponent for us in the QF. Switzerland can surprise.. if we play Russia/Sweden, we won't be the favourite so if we lose, it maybe won't suck as much.

Yep. It will be a tough Euro team in the QF regardless. It would be another story if Canada was in the other group. SUI is the easiest of them and they are not easy at all... We just need to beat GER now.

I hope that Draisaitl doesn't have one of those days where he goes nuts with like 2+1 or 1+2. I've seen him do that so many times in World Cup and in Germany's jersey now.

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
You are right of course, but despite this loss there are still chances to finish as second the preliminary round. They have to beat Germany what should be possible and USA what isn't impossible too. Last year Finland played a terrible tournament but won the quarterfinal very surprising against the USA. May be they can beat USA again.
I hope the finns plays better than last year. Last year was a nightmare! Please not a "comeback" to this bad style like WHC in France.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Yes right! But CZE and SWISS are not so strong as RUS and SWE. I think it isn t good to careless give away place 1 and 2.

RUS is Finland of the other group. They have not met any top opponents and beat every game 7-0 or something. They haven't done anything. Only Sweden separates from the rest in group A in my books.

Let me also remind that how tough players CZE are bringing from the NHL. From Boston the CZE are getting Krecji and Pastarnak (sorry if I spelled him wrong). Pastarnak had more points than Rantanen in NHL this season, was it 86. They are just as good as Russia and I consider both below Sweden.

Last edited:

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Wow massive upset by Denmark on home ice to boot.
Biggest win by Denmark in hockey history?

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Wow massive upset by Denmark on home ice to boot.
Biggest win by Denmark in hockey history?

No that was against the US in 2003 in our first year in the A group where we had zero players in the NHL and only 1 in KHL.

Last edited:

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Good for Denmark, and good for the tournament.

There have been a crazy amount of games this year with teams losing by a touchdown (or worse). This is the type competitive game between a "big" and "small" country the tournament needed.

Reactions: Loffer

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
No that was against the US in 2001 in our first year in the A group where we had zero players in the NHL and only 1 in KHL.
This must rank higher considering the teams USA send back then.
Congrats anyways. Hope this will make some kids in the audience to turn to hockey instead of soccer.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
The Czechs are getting now Pastrnak and Krejci, so they are going to be a much stronger team when they are in the team. Wouldn’t seriously want to face them with the style that they play against Finland. I would face Russia if I could choose from the top teams in the playoffs. Finland usually mops the floor with them in the crucial games, and it’s usually pretty easy to frustrate them and make them play so that each of their players would need their own puck.

Last edited:

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
The Czechs are getting now Pastrnak and Krejci, so they are going to be a much stronger team when they are in the team. Wouldn’t seriously want to face them with the style thst they play against Finland. I would face Russia if I could choose from the top teams in the playoffs. Finland usually mops the floor with them in the crucial games, and it’s usually pretty easy to frustrate them and make them play so that act of their players would need their own pucks.
I would be choose Switzerland. Heavy Opponent,but not so difficult like RUS,SWE and CZE.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I would be choose Switzerland. Heavy Opponent,but not so difficult like RUS,SWE and CZE.
Wasn’t counting Switzerland as one of the real top teams. But sure, if you do, then for sure they would be the first choice for me too. Not easy necessarily, as they can skate and play pretty hard. But Finland should still be able to beat them with their skill.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
RUS is Finland of the other group. They have not met any top opponents and beat every game 7-0 or something. They haven't done anything. Only Sweden separates from the rest in group A in my books.

Let me also remind that how tough players CZE are bringing from the NHL. From Boston the CZE are getting Krecji and Pastarnak (sorry if I spelled him wrong). Pastarnak had more points than Rantanen in NHL this season, was it 86. They are just as good as Russia and I consider both below Sweden.
In regular season Pastrnak has 80 Points. ;)!

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
The Czechs are getting now Pastrnak and Krejci, so they are going to be a much stronger team when they are in the team. Wouldn’t seriously want to face them with the style thst they play against Finland. I would face Russia if I could choose from the top teams in the playoffs. Finland usually mops the floor with them in the crucial games, and it’s usually pretty easy to frustrate them and make them play so that act of their players would need their own pucks.

Indeed. I think those are the tiers going into the QF regardless of how the games go between those top teams of group A and regardless what the final ranking or order of the group is, because I'm pretty sure Sweden got that extra gear for the QF with the players they have in their team. Sweden isn't perfect though, their head coach is pretty average. He doesn't convince me and their goalie depth excluding Lundqvist who didn't join is not that great.

Tier 1 - Sweden
------------
Tier 2 - RUS & CZE
------------
Tier 3 - SUI

Reactions: Retroglyphs

Ducks76

Oct 15, 2017
Wasn’t counting Switzerland as one of the real top teams. But sure, if you do, then for sure they would be the first choice for me too. Not easy necessarily, as they can skate and play pretty hard. But Finland should still be able to beat them with their skill.
Okay! The czechs could be an ugly opponent. You can dominate them(Maybe 30-15 shots),but the are very effective. They make goals in situations if you don t count this. Russia is contraire. They dominate often but not so effective. Right! But i ve a feeling that suomi could beat the czechs this year.

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018
Okay! The czechs could be an ugly opponent. You can dominate them(Maybe 30-15 shots),but the are very effective. They make goals in situations if you don t count this. Russia is contraire. They dominate often but not so effective. Right! But i ve a feeling that suomi could beat the czechs this year.

The Finns feel well-equipped to take on the Czech beast.:popcorn:

Retroglyphs

Mar 23, 2018

Exactly. And that's why you'll see the Russians lose vs. CZE tomorrow. If SVK wins vs. FRA, and this will happen, they'll have extra pressure put on them, but I'm confident they'll cope with the situation. Also, the Czechs have an outstanding score from Pyeongchang vs. the Sbornaja.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
But didn't he, Mr. Hagged, back Denmark win with -1 handicap only, hopefully not. Lol.
I wasn't the modern time Nostradamus really as I lost the bets this time. But it was close enough. Just one additional empty netter would have sufficed for a shitload of money.

Maybe next time.

Reactions: Loffer

AutisticGoat

Mar 9, 2018
Well played Denmark. Think we found this years black horse now that they added two good nhl players in their line-up. Not even upset as finnish fan, denmark was very good opponent.

Reactions: Retroglyphs

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Just when the Finnish fans start getting cocky the Danes bring them down.

Stick to the underdog sisu script perhaps?

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
I had a feeling this would happen. The power-play was unnecessary that lead to Denmark's third.

Credit to the Vikings.

Leijonat needed this too wake up. Silver lining.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
We gave too much respect to a team that's a lot weaker.

Just when the Finnish fans start getting cocky the Danes bring them down.

Stick to the underdog sisu script perhaps?

Cocky? Most have been saying that we haven't met any formidable opponents yet... Everyone knows that our D will f*** us.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
I wasn't the modern time Nostradamus really as I lost the bets this time. But it was close enough. Just one additional empty netter would have sufficed for a ****load of money.

Maybe next time.

As you boldly entered a hostile and unpopular terrain with all the odds against (or in favour of you) and made such a visionary unconventional bet we can consider you a winner, on moral grounds.

But just a tip for that next time. Protect your investments by splitting the stake to a) an unqualified win which at least if and when realized returns your total stake & b) a more bold gamble with a handicapped win (- n, where n=1, 2, 3...); actually c) you can do this in multiple recursive steps (n=0, 1, 2, 3...) - and the net is safer and sounder...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad