GDT: Group B - May 6 - Korea vs Canada

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Miklos Rajna 2.0?
Two, three years back against Hungary (Can't remember which year), Hungary's tiny midget goalie for a period and a half had Hungary within a goal. After the first despite it being 2-1 Canada, Rajna had buckled down and Hungary was actually controlling the play for about a period and somewhat into the second half. It was embarrassing, lot of Canadian fans thought we were gonna have another loss like the Pierre Edouard Bellmare shootout winner a few years back for France, but then Canada realized it could have ended up like said France game and pummeled them the rest of the game (7-1 final).

Watching Dalton in the Olympics against the Czech B team and the Finn C team, I got the feeling he could just dial in. Thankfully, didn't happen today, so like I said, no Rajna, No Huet.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
Two, three years back against Hungary (Can't remember which year), Hungary's tiny midget goalie for a period and a half had Hungary within a goal. After the first despite it being 2-1 Canada, Rajna had buckled down and Hungary was actually controlling the play for about a period and somewhat into the second half. It was embarrassing, lot of Canadian fans thought we were gonna have another loss like the Pierre Edouard Bellmare shootout winner a few years back for France, but then Canada realized it could have ended up like said France game and pummeled them the rest of the game (7-1 final).

Watching Dalton in the Olympics against the Czech B team and the Finn C team, I got the feeling he could just dial in. Thankfully, didn't happen today, so like I said, no Rajna, No Huet.

Dalton a D goalie, that's why. Going against a B and/or C team is hard enough for him.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
Dalton a D goalie, that's why. Going against a B and/or C team is hard enough for him.
I mean, Rajna is/was arguably an E rank goalie (EBEL, yeesh) and he played well, but yeah I get your point.

Guess I was just tired of the "This will be an easy win over this low tier hockey country" spiel that Canadians have dealt with at the WC's lately. No issues with the Olympics, World Juniors, World Cup, but we always seem to start the WC skating in mud and play down to the level of the promoted, and lower ranked teams. Games against France the last 3-4 years have been f***ing torture as a Canadian fan who actually cares about the WC. :laugh:

But with all that I've said, Dalton and Korea have just been bad to start the tournament, even taking the talent gaps into the equation.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I mean, Rajna is/was arguably an E rank goalie (EBEL, yeesh) and he played well, but yeah I get your point.

Guess I was just tired of the "This will be an easy win over this low tier hockey country" spiel that Canadians have dealt with at the WC's lately. No issues with the Olympics, World Juniors, World Cup, but we always seem to start the WC skating in mud and play down to the level of the promoted, and lower ranked teams. Games against France the last 3-4 years have been ****ing torture as a Canadian fan who actually cares about the WC. :laugh:

But with all that I've said, Dalton and Korea have just been bad to start the tournament, even taking the talent gaps into the equation.

The irony is that he's not even Korean. Honestly, if he's not going to steal games for the national team, just have a genuine Korean training by playing games against powerful teams.

RANKKA

Give Glaude the world
Apr 11, 2017
EU
anyone know who got the player of the game?

Last edited:

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
The irony is that he's not even Korean. Honestly, if he's not going to steal games for the national team, just have a genuine Korean training by playing games against powerful teams.
I'm still very mixed on the IIHF eligibility rules. On one hand, it helps Korean hockey players (and other small nations) immensely to have players like Swift and Randuske around, and you know Park is probably working with Dalton every chance he gets when they play international tourney's together.

But the fact of the matter is, without Dalton having a Korean passport, SK likely wouldn't be as good. They've produced good home league forwards and D-men (Min Ho-Cho and Jun Kim-Won for instance), but the fact that their next best goalie, Park, is the backup for the team that landed dead last in the Asia League this year...If Korea wants to stick around near the top, Dalton is a good starting point, but they have to grow some homegrown GK's, because Dalton ain't getting any younger.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
I'm still very mixed on the IIHF eligibility rules. On one hand, it helps Korean hockey players (and other small nations) immensely to have players like Swift and Randuske around, and you know Park is probably working with Dalton every chance he gets when they play international tourney's together.

But the fact of the matter is, without Dalton having a Korean passport, SK likely wouldn't be as good. They've produced good home league forwards and D-men (Min Ho-Cho and Jun Kim-Won for instance), but the fact that their next best goalie, Park, is the backup for the team that landed dead last in the Asia League this year...If Korea wants to stick around near the top, Dalton is a good starting point, but they have to grow some homegrown GK's, because Dalton ain't getting any younger.

It's more about national reputation than anything. Dalton is certainly better than Park, and Regan, Plante, and Radunske have been the mainstay of the Korean team. However, where do the actual players of Team Korea stand? Where are the Koreans? I think it's better for them to train against powerful teams and improve their game that way.

DeflatedFootball7

Jul 9, 2011
Nanaimo
It's more about national reputation than anything. Dalton is certainly better than Park, and Regan, Plante, and Radunske have been the mainstay of the Korean team. However, where do the actual players of Team Korea stand? Where are the Koreans? I think it's better for them to train against powerful teams and improve their game that way.
I mean, Min Ho Cho and Ki Sung Kim (Full disclosure, the Korean names since they became a somewhat relevant hockey nation have been confusing as f***, so my bad if I get the order of names wrong) are top line players in the Asia League. Only six imports overall, so despite the white guys, this is still a majority Korean born and trained team.

One thing that blows ass for the Korean's is the military service. It was fine when Sangmu was an ALIH franchise, but now that it's just a Korean version of, say, NCAA Black Knights, I think it's hurting some of their younger players.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
10-0. Ok. Didn't even bother to play better part of 3rd. Ok.

I hate that attitude. Every tools to put opponents on their knees early on in tournaments that are serious business for several other countries, but some kind childish and immature attitude prevent guys to end game in it's real level and displaying the true disparity between teams. I think it's more courteous and less humiliating to underdog to get really beaten to the theoretic upper limit then watch aside when supposed full-pro roster of the sport's godfathers start to play some kind back yard hockey, only because they think it may hurt the underdogs fragile souls. Show of un-sportmanship at least. Come on Canada! You invented the modern hockey, you cultivated it and cared it when it was still infant in it's cradle. Those times are gone. You fulfill your role best if you always play up to your full potential. Particularly so, when it's about demonstration what hockey really is about.

Like Koreans wouldn't know what kind diehard games are going on in NHL playoffs. They (and everyone else) expect that Team Canada doesn't use ever breaks when there are no damn reasons to do so.

It doesn't offend anybody if better team plays best they can, regardless of end result of the match. It might very well offend some people if better team start act like blushing babysitter nannies washing a newborn's genitals.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

Last edited:

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
If Canada played at 100% a lot of Korean players would have to be stretchered out of there. A game like this shouldn't exist.

Only real issue I see in inclusion of vastly different level teams to same tournament is that every teams doesn't encounter with each other. Clear underdogs benefit other teams in a group where they play, while other teams in other group(s) doesn't have that benefit. It's very hard to determine where the line of eligibility should go in currently used tournament model, being it top 12, 16 or something else.

Disparity between teams isn't the problem, the problem is a disparity between groups it brings within.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

I hate that attitude. Every tools to put opponents on their knees early on in tournaments that are serious business for several other countries, but some kind childish and immature attitude prevent guys to end game in it's real level and displaying the true disparity between teams. I think it's more courteous and less humiliating to underdog to get really beaten to the theoretic upper limit then watch aside when supposed full-pro roster of the sport's godfathers start to play some kind back yard hockey, only because they think it may hurt the underdogs fragile souls. Show of un-sportmanship at least. Come on Canada! You invented the modern hockey, you cultivated it and cared it when it was still infant in it's cradle. Those times are gone. You fulfill your role best if you always play up to your full potential. Particularly so, when it's about demonstration what hockey really is about.

Like Koreans wouldn't know what kind diehard games are going on in NHL playoffs. They (and everyone else) expect that Team Canada doesn't use ever breaks when there are no damn reasons to do so.

It doesn't offend anybody if better team plays best they can, regardless of end result of the match. It might very well offend some people if better team start act like blushing babysitter nannies washing a newborn's genitals.

Shame. Shame. Shame.

Oh come on, 10 to nothing isn't enough? They have beaten the Koreans thorougly and humiliatingly, they showed they are the better team by a wide margin, got a bit of a passing practice (which they needed) and did some experimenting with the lines AND it didn't took the maximum effort. That's good. It's only the begining, plenty of games ahead of them. Anything more wouldn't be sportsmanship, it would be cruelty. Don't kick someone when they're down.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Shame. Shame. Shame.

What an absolute joke

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
What an absolute joke
Oh come on, 10 to nothing isn't enough? They have beaten the Koreans thorougly and humiliatingly, they showed they are the better team by a wide margin, got a bit of a passing practice (which they needed) and did some experimenting with the lines AND it didn't took the maximum effort. That's good. It's only the begining, plenty of games ahead of them. Anything more wouldn't be sportsmanship, it would be cruelty. Don't kick someone when they're down.

Exactly. It's not about humiliating weaker opponent (that is fully aware of it). Team Canada can arrange it's training sessions using it's own allocated ice time like everyone else. Practice sessions doesn't have to happen when there are opponent on the ice, trying best they can and surely putting up every effort they possibly can, only to see that better team doesn't respect enough the game to bother to play it to the end. Team Korea played against one of their primary role models. The role model didn't model well over whole game.

Weird perception on what is 'humiliating' there in Canada, if comments about the matter in this thread have any representativeness over general attitude in this matter.

What an absolute joke

Where?

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
Exactly. It's not about humiliating weaker opponent (that is fully aware of it). Team Canada can arrange it's training sessions using it's own allocated ice time like everyone else. Practice sessions doesn't have to happen when there are opponent on the ice, trying best they can and surely putting up every effort they possibly can, only to see that better team doesn't respect enough the game to bother to play it to the end. Team Korea played against one of their primary role models. The role model didn't model well over whole game.

Weird perception on what is 'humiliating' there in Canada, if comments about the matter in this thread have any representativeness over general attitude in this matter.

Oh, yes, better walk all over them and get the score up to 15:0. Like, in what universe would that actually be better? I am glad the Canadian players had the decency to play the way they did.

Also, I'm calling bullshit on practice sessions. Right now you use every game possible to practice before facing the tougher opponent. It's a great group of forwards, but they usually don't play with each other and that can be seen on the ice, so yeah, you use every resource you can get and if the less experienced and less talented team is defeated (and the Koreans were defeated in the begining of the third period), you do the smart thing. You use that time to improve. To maybe change the line up. Conserve the strenght and efforts. There's no glory in playing 200% against Korea today and being tired for the next game, which is tomorrow.

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Oh, yes, better walk all over them and get the score up to 15:0. Like, in what universe would that actually be better? I am glad the Canadian players had the decency to play the way they did.

Also, I'm calling bull**** on practice sessions. Right now you use every game possible to practice before facing the tougher opponent. It's a great group of forwards, but they usually don't play with each other and that can be seen on the ice, so yeah, you use every resource you can get and if the less experienced and less talented team is defeated (and the Koreans were defeated in the begining of the third period), you do the smart thing. You use that time to improve. To maybe change the line up. Conserve the strenght and efforts. There's no glory in playing 200% against Korea today and being tired for the next game, which is tomorrow.

We have apparently different kind conceptualization what is "humiliating", "disrespectful" and so on in the context of International hockey. No problems with that.

And it's natural to try every kind of things on ice when lead is secured enough, no problem with that either. Why Canada couldn't then arrange some actual goal scoring practices with different kind combinatorics and even using risky tactics allowed by the situation? Like it would make any difference does the game end 10-0 or 15-2, or 18-3, to either side of competants.

But they simply self-castrated their offense almost entirely, and that sucks. Guys had no balls to play the hockey they can. Horrible to watch, and my sympathies goes to Korea. It would be understandable to start play complete shutdown tactics for securing few goals lead against strong opponent few minutes before the end of game, but going intentionally to dull figure skating practice when there are still one fifth or one sixth of the game left to be played is beyond me, allegedly only to "make opponents feel better that they weren't overwhelmed 15-0, but only 10-0". One more goal against doesn't mean anything to them.

Bouquets of condolences and warm hugs can be send after the match if necessary. Few beers can be consumed together after game between guys of different teams and everything is fine, and mutual respect is there even after demonstrated respect of game of 35-0 on the ice.

I agree to disagree with those who disagree. No further stipulations in this matter on my behalf.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
The other part about coasting a won game is staying uninjured.

Not sure Canada would be better off to have McDavid break an ankle driving the net for their 23rd goal vs Korea.
Plus, Canada has a game scheduled for tomorrow as well. There's no need for pointless waste of energy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad