33 Julian Jakobsen - 29 Morten Madsen - 63 Patrick Russell
12 Mads Christensen

Scratched:
G 39 George Sorensen
F 50 Mathias Bau

Last edited:

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Denmark loses to Canada 7-0. Denmark loses to USA 4-0.
Latvia loses to both in OT.
Denmark wins against Finland 3-2. Latvia loses 8-1 to Finland.
Denmark wins 3-0 against Norway and Latvia barely wins against Norway 3-2.

Who the hell knows what will happen. This gonna be some good stuff gentlemen. Group B has been crazy this year.

DK will win though :P 3-1. We got the better team on paper after Bødker and Hansen joined the team.

The Worst One

Who wants to die?
Oct 5, 2017
Denmark loses to Canada 7-0. Denmark loses to USA 4-0.
Latvia loses to both in OT.
Denmark wins against Finland 3-2. Latvia loses 8-1 to Finland.
Denmark wins 3-0 against Norway and Latvia barely wins against Norway 3-2.

Who the hell knows what will happen. This gonna be some good stuff gentlemen. Group B has been crazy this year.

DK will win though :P 3-1. We got the better team on paper after Bødker and Hansen joined the team.
In your dreams honey. Latvia will whoop your candy asses.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
If we compare both teams and all the players, a Danish NHL top line is the only thing separating them.

Both goalies are great. The defensive cores are pretty equal, maybe even Latvia has a slight edge, if Balinskis can play. Latvia seems to have more puck-carrying D-men.

Denmark has more firepower offensively due to that top line, but then again the signature Latvian cohesion and physicality neutralized the McDavid line (226 points combined in the NHL this season) quite handily. They genuinely didn't have a lot of chances 5on5. Ditto for the US game and Kane.

The Danish trio has 110 points in the NHL between the three of them. I don't feel particularly concerned, if we can keep up the game we played before.

As long as we have enough gas in the tank, it should be an exciting, close game.

I do think Denmark are the favorites, though, mostly due to favorable scheduling and due to home advantage, but it can go either way.

Denmark 3-2 (OT) Latvia

Reactions: Reynys and Kalv

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
I think Latvia was able to keep high-powered offensive lines from scoring because they played such a collapsed style. There's a stark contrast between when Latvia plays top nations and when Latvia plays nations it considers closer to its caliber, it opens up significantly. It will be open for Denmark because they will be looking to score, not to defend.

Denmark 3-1.

Reactions: Pouliot

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
I think Latvia was able to keep high-powered offensive lines from scoring because they played such a collapsed style. There's a stark contrast between when Latvia plays top nations and when Latvia plays nations it considers closer to its caliber, it opens up significantly. It will be open for Denmark because they will be looking to score, not to defend.

Denmark 3-1.
That's just not true. We spent a lot of time in their offensive zone last night, especially in the 2nd period. It didn't lead to an open game with a lot of 2-on-1s or 3-on-2s. We clogged up the neutral zone and everyone returned back immediately as we lost the puck.

It worked in the same way against Germany. The Draisaitl line was neutralized and they spent most of their time battling pucks along the boards. That's exactly what's going to happen tonight.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
That's just not true. We spent a lot of time in their offensive zone last night, especially in the 2nd period. It didn't lead to an open game with a lot of 2-on-1s or 3-on-2s. We clogged up the neutral zone and everyone returned back immediately as we lost the puck.

It worked in the same way against Germany. The Draisaitl line was neutralized and they spent most of their time battling pucks along the boards. That's exactly what's going to happen tonight.
Yes. Keeping everything to the outside when you're in the offensive zone, so you can constantly draw physical engagements, clogging the neutral zone every time there is a transition of possession, and keeping everything to the outside on defense is precisely what I said...a defensive strategy.

Now, you may say that you apply that strategy indiscriminately, which is to say you may try that same strategy against Denmark, but players inevitably act differently against different competition. Latvia had 19 shots against the US, 15 shots against Canada. It had 32 shots against Germany. Same strategy you say. When players think they can get away with more, they try to get away with more. When players don't think they can get away with more, they don't. So you may try the same number on Denmark strategically as you did against Canada, but your forwards are going to be taking risks, your defensemen are going to be taking risks, players are going to risk being out of position for the hustle back in order to create offensive opportunities.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Ok, Latvia takes this one, no anti jinx.

They have just looked very cohesive and all pressure is off them.

One Latvian poster with his usual super crediting of Latvia and sneaky credtiting Denmark, that is really not a credit, on the contrary.

I think Denmark are the better team on paper, even with the measly 110pts the NHL guys combine for, and did you just call the Latvians defence better, while saying goalies are equal?

Latvian Players said to Danish news, they feel that playing the day before while Denmark rested 72hrs, is not an advantage for Denmark, but for Latvia. As their legs are fresh, and their confidence high. just like I said.

4-2 Latvia.

Last edited:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Yes. Keeping everything to the outside when you're in the offensive zone, so you can constantly draw physical engagements, clogging the neutral zone every time there is a transition of possession, and keeping everything to the outside on defense is precisely what I said...a defensive strategy.

Now, you may say that you apply that strategy indiscriminately, which is to say you may try that same strategy against Denmark, but players inevitably act differently against different competition. Latvia had 19 shots against the US, 15 shots against Canada. It had 32 shots against Germany. Same strategy you say. When players think they can get away with more, they try to get away with more. When players don't think they can get away with more, they don't. So you may try the same number on Denmark strategically as you did against Canada, but your forwards are going to be taking risks, your defensemen are going to be taking risks, players are going to risk being out of position for the hustle back in order to create offensive opportunities.
You can take a look at the game vs. Germany, if you wish. It won't lead to an open game. Loads of perimeter shots don't make an open game. Sporadic breakaways don't make an open game.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Ok, Latvia takes this one, no anti jinx.

They have just looked very cohesive and all pressure is off them.

One Latvian poster with his usual super crediting of Latvia and sneaky credtiting Denmark, that is really not a credit, on the contrary.

I think Denmark are the better team on paper, even with the measly 110pts the NHL guys combine for, and did you just call the Latvians defence better, while saying goalies are equal?

Latvian Players said to Danish news, they feel that playing the day before while Denmark rested 72hrs, is not an advantage for Denmark, but for Latvia. As their legs are fresh, and their confidence high. just like I said.

4-2 Latvia.
There's a lot of pressure on them. Everyone expects a win.

The Latvian defence is pretty bad, but it's at least on par with Denmark, yes.

Merzlikins is one of the best goalies playing in Europe. His youthful exuberance on ice and aggression is the only reason why he's still on this side of the Atlantic. He's matured over the years, and he's been phenomenal for us so far. Both Andersen and Merzlikins have a ~94% SVS in the tournament.

Denmark has more talent in the forward corps, there's no doubt about it. That's one of the reasons why they are about 60/40 favorites tonight.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
There's a lot of pressure on them. Everyone expects a win.

The Latvian defence is pretty bad, but it's at least on par with Denmark, yes.

Merzlikins is one of the best goalies playing in Europe. His youthful exuberance on ice and aggression is the only reason why he's still on this side of the Atlantic. He's matured over the years, and he's been phenomenal for us so far. Both Andersen and Merzlikins have a ~94% SVS in the tournament.

Denmark has more talent in the forward corps, there's no doubt about it. That's one of the reasons why they are about 60/40 favorites tonight.
Well I think this is the post you have written, I can agree the most with.
Albeit not 100% on the defence, I still think on paper, Denmarks D core is better.

And I just don't see Merzlikins in the same caliber as Andersen, no matter the outcome tonight, no matter the stats in this wc.

Favourites or not, I still think Latvia takes this one.. Too much at stake for Denmark, and iv'e seen Denmark crumble way too many times when that is the case, across several sports.

Last edited:

yeshuah

May 14, 2018
Worried about this one. Denmark showed how bad we can play as favorites. Hopefully Latvia taking CAN and US to overtime will work against this :)

Reactions: QuietContrarian

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Well I think this is the post you have written, I can agree the most with.
Albeit not 100% on the defence, I still think on paper, Denmarks D core is better.

And I just don't see Merzlikins in the same caliber as Andersen, no matter the outcome tonight, no matter the stats in this wc.

Favourites or not, I still think Latvia takes this one.. Too much at stake for Denmark, and iv'e seen Denmark crumble way too many times when that is the case, across several sports.
If it's better on paper, just look up all the D-men on both teams. Have you even done that? Denmark has a bunch of stay-at-home guys and only one solid two-way D-man. He's probably the best on both teams, but the Danish supporting cast is mediocre at best. Most of them have purely defensive roles with their clubs teams in KHL and SHL.

As for Merzlikins, you're showing North American bias right now. Andersen plays in the NHL, so he's better by default, right? That's not how things work.

Reynys

Apr 30, 2011
this game probably will be close, and again can see this go either way. my prediction 4-3 for Latvia.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but actually with each game, the more I look at the Latvia roster the more I think Bob (if someone has to have credit for this, might aswell be him) has done great job of getting the best out of almost everybody.

Last edited:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
If it's better on paper, just look up all the D-men on both teams. Have you even done that? Denmark has a bunch of stay-at-home guys and only one solid two-way D-man. He's probably the best on both teams, but the Danish supporting cast is mediocre at best. Most of them have purely defensive roles with their clubs teams in KHL and SHL.

As for Merzlikins, you're showing North American bias right now. Andersen plays in the NHL, so he's better by default, right? That's not how things work.
Yes I looked up all your D men. Outside a few, not many seem to play alot of games, or score that many pts tbh. I do not count pts as A Dman in the Czech league as superior to a good dman from SHL feks.

Nope, it's not NA bias, Andersen is a top goalie in the NHL, he plays on the toughest market in hockey facing the best players in the world, with a so-so D infront of him in Toronto.

Also, playing regularly on small ice, where play is much more fast paced and unpredictable for a goalie, should also be a factor.

Faced most SOG of all goalies in NHL, Played the most games, most wins as a goalie in Toronto for a good chunk of years - arguably their regular season mvp.

Merzlikins plays in the NLA, it's not even comparable.

P.Larsen, Jesper B. Jensen, Steffan Lassen, Daniel Nielsen, are all puck moving Dmen, especially when playing for Denmark.

Oliver Lauridsen is a big stay at home Dman with NHL experience.
Yes, I think Denmark are better on paper, but we all know paper means shit.
Btw, since when does pure d, dmen mean mediocrity?

Last edited:

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Yes I looked up all your D men. Outside a few, not many seem to play alot of games, or score that many pts tbh. I do not count pts as A Dman in the Czech league as superior to a good dman from SHL feks.
Not many seem to play a lot of games? I have no idea what this means. Sotnieks and Balinskis were injured in 17/18 and missed some games. What are you implying? I have a certain feeling you're not aware of how many games there are in European leagues every season.

As for point production, it seems like almost everyone is more productive than their Danish counterparts. And, yes, someone recording 27 points in Czech Extraliga is probably capable of contributing more offensively than a guy with 4 assists in 59 games in the KHL or SHL.

As for goalies, I'll let Elvis speak for himself.

Pure D-men are great, but when it's all you have, your transition game suffers and there's no one to get the puck to your forwards. They have to do all the work.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden

Andersen isn't good because he's in the NHL, he's good because he's a top goalie in the NHL, Andersen is the best goalie at this years worlds by a mile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad